What water is "good water"? - Wiki question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

What water is "good water"? - Wiki question

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Linky: http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.php ... ater.22.3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Wiki wrote:Typically hard water as its higher mineral content is more agreeable to yeast than "pure" water. Distilled water is likely the worst unless minerals or mash are added. Either way removal of chlorine is a must and can be accomplished by an open lid "breather" simply allowing the water to breathe open air for a day, removal of chloramine is very difficult and if your metro water system has chloramine you should probably use distilled or spring water.

Avoid sulfurous water "skunk water" as some of the compounds the yeast or bacterias can generate could distill into some very vile compounds. --DGary 15:19, 13 February 2007 (PST)

So question for the vets, what should we say is good water?

- How to test?
- How do I know if I have Clorine or Cloramine?
- Clorine removal?
- Cloramine removed?
- How would one turn distilled water into good water for fermentation?
- Are there specific water profiles that are more amenable to Sugar washes or Whiskey or Brandies?
- How does water content affect fermentation/taste?
- Can I lookup water profiles for a specific brand of spirit?

If you can answer one or more of these questions please do. Please don't think you need to answer them all. If you could that would make this easier though. :)
Last edited by Single Malt Yinzer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: What water is "good water"? - Wiki question

Post by still_stirrin »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: - How do I know if I have Chlorine or Chloramine?
- Chlorine removal?
- Chloramine removed?
Chloramine is a disinfectant used by many cities and water districts to sterilize water. It is an alternative to chlorine. The use of chloramine has increased dramatically in recent years due in large part to the fact that it maintains its sterilization capacity longer (less likely than chlorine to degrade or dissipate - it is more stable), and it is less likely to form harmful disinfection by-products like trihalomethanes. It is estimated that close to 30% of municipal water treatment plants now use chloramine instead of chlorine.

Chemically, chloramine is a formed by mixing chlorine and ammonia; however, chloramines actually exist in several different states within treated drinking water, so they are commonly just referred to as "chloramines." Chloramines are weaker disinfectants than free chlorine. Accordingly, larger quantities are often required to achieve the same sterilization effect. There is widespread concern that chloramine, like chlorine, is toxic and could have similar adverse health effects. For this reason, chloramine use is closely regulated. However, a growing number of scientists and health practitioners are sounding the alarm about ingesting even low levels of chlorine and chloramine and showering/bathing in chlorinated or chloramine-treated water.

The problem with chloramines is that, unlike chlorine, they are not adequately removed by traditional activated carbon filters. It is not that standard carbon filters are incapable of removing chloramine, but the contact time required is typically far more than is provided for in most standard residential systems. Specialized catalytic carbon reduces the contact time necessary for satisfactory removal, making it a more practical choice for chloramine treatment.
Single Malt Yinzer wrote: - How would one turn distilled water into good water for fermentation?
Add brewing salts and adjust the pH. Here: http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/und ... adjustment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: - Are there specific water profiles that are more amenable to Sugar washes or Whiskey or Brandies?
- How does water content affect fermentation/taste?
Sure.

For example, British bitters are brewed (fermented) with the typical "hard" water common to the islands. And German lagers are brewed with the soft water found in the mountainous regions in deep wells. Both classic beverages are indicative of the water used in their making. The respective mineral content has much to do with the flavors extracted from the grains (and hops) as well as provide catalytic nourishment for the yeast to do its job.

Similarly, the water would affect the fermentation processes and flavors produced in musts and distiller beers. However, minerals won't get carried over through the stillhead as much, although congener production likely would be affected by the ferment conditions. So, water profile may have some impact on your finished spirit although not as significant as other influences, processes for example.
Single Malt Yinzer wrote: - Can I lookup water profiles for a specific brand of spirit?
Yes, please do.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:
Wiki wrote:Typically hard water as its higher mineral content is more agreeable to yeast than "pure" water. Distilled water is likely the worst unless minerals or mash are added. Either way removal of chlorine is a must and can be accomplished by an open lid "breather" simply allowing the water to breathe open air for a day, removal of chloramine is very difficult and if your metro water system has chloramine you should probably use distilled or spring water.

Avoid sulfurous water "skunk water" as some of the compounds the yeast or bacterias can generate could distill into some very vile compounds. --DGary 15:19, 13 February 2007 (PST)
So question for the vets, what should we say is good water?

- How to test? your local health unit will test water
- How do I know if I have Clorine or Cloramine? look on your city's web page they will tell you what they put in the water to protect you
- Clorine removal? put it in a clear or semi clear container in the sun for 4 hours
- Cloramine removed? beats the shit outta me
- How would one turn distilled water into good water for fermentation? add nutrients and/or mash
- Are there specific water profiles that are more amenable to Sugar washes or Whiskey or Brandies? clean, chlorine free hard water.
- How does water content affect fermentation/taste? GIGO
- Can I lookup water profiles for a specific brand of spirit? some scotch distiller are pretty proud of their water

If you can answer one or more of these questions please do. Please don't think you need to answer them all. If you could that would make this easier though. :)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

ok - started working on http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.php ... nditioning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow as I think it needs it own section. Too much stuff to put in the FAQ. After work tonight I'll work more on it.

Thanks for the help!
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Here's WhiskyScience to the rescue on fermentation waters (because I don't feel like typing it all out myself):

http://whiskyscience.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... aters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Plus, you can understand the problem with chlorine by reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfection_by-product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

ESsentially, chlorine doesn't only react with phenols, it reacts with just about everything organic that it gets in contact with. That's how it makes your drinking water sanitary; it reacts with all the organic matter that any microbes could eat up, rendering them "unmetabolizeable".
Last edited by MDH on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

The effect in brewing beer is plastic and bandaid flavors stemming mostly from chlorinated phenols. I would particularly worry that a peated malt amd its lovely phenol would be turned into Glen Bandaid.

Also keep in mind many municipalities change from chloramine to chlorine or vice versa for a couple weeks once or twice a year.

Aside from filtration removal for chlorine can be boiling or even just sitting, it offgasses. Both chlorine and chloramine can be removed with campden tablets, roughly 1 tab per 20 gallons. I don't know for sure, but would be concerned about adding too much creating sulfury off tastes in some situations.
In depth article but not stilling specific:
https://www.morebeer.com/articles/remov ... from_water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/052 ... 31301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/ ... val.76953/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
birdpilot
Novice

Post by birdpilot »

I'm fortunate in that I have spring water that has percolated through limestone easily available. Just go to the spring and get it by the bucket! I use it for the mash, and then for the cut.
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

A few years ago, it was explained to me by our water district engineer that many districts switched to chloramine after 9-11. Dept of Homeland Security recommended change as tanks of chlorine gas were considered potential terrorist targets.

Couple more links I had in my files:

Experiments to remove chloramine: http://wetnewf.org/pdfs/Brewing_article ... lorine.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Water analysis spreadsheet: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

there's also a youtube walkthru on the spreadsheet.

Cheers
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Some Folks use water from a dunder pit in the fermenter :oops:
When it comes to water, I'd say yeast is less particular than a hound dog. :lol:
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Thanks everyone for the input! I updated the page with everything. Looks good now, I'll revisit it in the future to make it better. Any questions, things I should add or anything else let me know and I can make changes to it.

http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.php ... nditioning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

nice work SMY. looks really good.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
juliadavid
Novice

Post by juliadavid »

Alkaline water is good water in my opinion because in my pregnancy period doctor recommended Alkaline Water and this water can help balance your pH level. Nowadays it's very easy to alkalize & enhances the water using magnesium. There are bottles also available on the market with the VitaBead Diffuser.

edit: You guys can check DYLN water bottles. I bought it using the discount DYLN Coupons at that time.