Why is my FG so high???

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MarvinSutton
Novice

Why is my FG so high???

Post by MarvinSutton »

Hi all - I have read until my eyes bleed - and private messaged folks to figure this out - need some experience here.

All of my ferments stop before completion. Here are the examples -

1. I've used both whiskey yeast and turbo yeast - both have nutrients - and i've added supplemental nutrients - so should not be the yeast
2. I have done both sugar shine and all grain - PH controlled with gypsum - my SG usually is 1.09 for sugar and 1.06 for all grain. - should not be the mash
3. I ferment at 70F which is in the range of both types of yeast. climate controlled, not much change. - so should not be my fermentation temp
4. In each case - my yeast take off for 3-4 days then peter out and presumably go dormant. I cannot resurrect with either more yeast, more sugar, or raising PH with calcium carbonate. The PH of my ferment is 3.5 - 4 when it goes dormant - yeast should be OK with that PH. - so it should not be the ferment PH
5. I have calibrated my refractometer and it is spot on with water at 68F. - so should not be measuring instrument

What else can I look at? It happens every single time regardless of mash bill, yeast, etc.

Help me experienced ones!
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Why is my FG so high???

Post by yakattack »

Well for starters what is your fg measuring at? And are you checking it with a hydrometer as well? As the alcohol from the mash will squew the readings. There is a conversion formula that you can use but a simple hydrometer will be faster.

Have you tasted the finished mash? Is it sweet at all?

Here's a simple test. Take a mason jar of your finished mash, and add a bit of sugar to it. If it restarts then you know the yeast have processed all.of the available ( to them) sugars.

Some sugars are not readily fermentable and need to be broken down further in order for yeast to be able to strip the oxygen from them.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

How high is the FG?

Can you please describe the mashing process? The amounts of what grain and water, the temperatures of the mash when adding the grains. Are the grains milled, how fine milled? How much malted barley added at what temp? Milled? How much sugar?
MarvinSutton wrote:5. I have calibrated my refractometer and it is spot on with water at 68F. - so should not be measuring instrument
Oh oh. Here is the mistake perhaps. Refractometers are not suitable for taking FG measurements. They always measure FGs too high. There are calculators, but generally a FG is measured better with a hydrometer.
How does the fermented wash taste like? Sour or still sweet?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

https://www.petedrinks.com/abv-calculat ... ydrometer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
This calc says a SG 1.070 and a FG 1.020 measured with a refractometer equals 1.070 and 1.003. Congratulations to the successful AG mashing! Did your stripping results verify this? Did you get around 9% alcohol?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Try splitting the nutrients 2/3 and 1/3. Add 2/3 at pitch and 1/3 24 hrs later. Also adjust the ph at pitch to 5.1 to 5.4. If those two things don't help, then add more nutrients.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Use a hydrometer.

How do you know that the ferment has truly gone dead. If you are watching an airlock, it only takes a tiny leak to fool a newbie.
MarvinSutton
Novice

Post by MarvinSutton »

Der Wo - you nailed it - I am getting stopped at FG 1.02 on my refractometer reading. On a 5 gallon wash I came out with a quart of 150 proof and a quart of 120 proof. I likely left some abandoned in the tails - so very likely I had 7-9%

I just input my Brix equivalent into a Brix to ABV calculator and calculated 7.86% - which means nothing was wrong and i just don't know how to use a refractometer!!!
https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I must have missed the memo on the wort collection factor! Here is something found on homebrew "The refractometer is designed to read samples of sugar water and fruit juice, not wort. You can determine your refractometer's wort correction factor. To do so, you need to take concurrent hydrometer readings. The wort correction factor is usually around 4%"
MarvinSutton
Novice

Post by MarvinSutton »

NZChris - I think you are spot on the solutions. thanks all!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

This is my favorite calc. It's the Bopeel master slicer dicer for refrac measurements.

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Cook your mash or boil your sugar wash . When it's cool enough , if it tastes sweet , pitch yeast and some crushed oyster shell . When it tastes bitter ; rack , filter , and run .
You are a hobby distiller trying to find your way to a good drop . Do that and proceed from there to greater things .
You can run yourself away from the hobby by overthinking it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .