Question regarding taking SG readings.

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Question regarding taking SG readings.

Post by jon1163 »

I've taken specific gravity readings before but only on washes. I would like to on my All Grain Mashes as well but I'm running into a problem.

Before pitching my Mash is a soupy mess and filled with greens. I'm having problems filling a graduated cylinder with liquid without getting any solids in it. Also won't the thickened liquid due to the grains distort my specific gravity readings?. Also when it's fermenting after pitching I'm having serious issues with the same. How do you guys take liquid samples for specific gravity readings with such a soupy mess?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Question regarding taking SG readings.

Post by der wo »

Filtering. The light curtain cloth is perfect. It's similar to BIAB cloth. Or cloth for cheese making.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

+1 filter for the og. During ferment I just leave it in the wash, no it isnt accurate, but its the change I'm looking for not a true reading. For FG settling is usually sufficient though filtering would do fine. I rarely do a FG unless I suspect a problem though. From watching the one in the fermenter and watching the wash I've got a good idea whats what. And the strip run will confirm it anyway.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Patience Grasshoper...

Slow down and give your mash a chance to settle for a little while. If you're doing things right, you should have a clear layer a few inches thick form on top of the mash tun. Take your OG from that clear layer, straining out any floating grains. This will give you an accurate reading to start with.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

BayouShine wrote:Patience Grasshopper...
Roger that Bayoushine.

Right now I have a 2" layer of grain on top. Underneath that is a 3" layer of liquid underneath that followed by about 10" of grain on the bottom. Looking forward to running this.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

On thick ones I'll push a mesh strainer down into the cap so the liquid flows through. Ladle out a couple hundred ml for the graduated cylinder to take reading.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

So by filtering you get enough fluid to measure its specific gravity.
But than there are the solids that take some space too. And you do not know how much space.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Yes. In theory you could calculate them out. Corn for example has around 20% solids. You can search for nutrition facts about your grains. Everything except carbon hydrates and water is unfermentable.

But we don't need such exact numbers normally I think.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

jon1163 wrote:
Roger that Bayoushine.

Right now I have a 2" layer of grain on top. Underneath that is a 3" layer of liquid underneath that followed by about 10" of grain on the bottom. Looking forward to running this.
Not sure what your grain bill is, but give the cap a chance to fall back down into the fermenter. Just give it a little time.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jonnys_spirit wrote:On thick ones I'll push a mesh strainer down into the cap so the liquid flows through. Ladle out a couple hundred ml for the graduated cylinder to take reading.

Cheers!
-j
I , too , push a strainer into a newly cooked mash to glean a clear sample to test a SG . If I really wish to . A good cook and good conversion will give me what I need to know by taste and smell .
When the ferment finishes the cap will fall and the mash will settle enough to let you sample for FG .
When I'm using a mash or wash I am familiar with I just use taste and smell along with observation .
Nothing is ever exact from one run to the next .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Truckinbutch wrote:
jonnys_spirit wrote:On thick ones I'll push a mesh strainer down into the cap so the liquid flows through. Ladle out a couple hundred ml for the graduated cylinder to take reading.

Cheers!
-j
I , too , push a strainer into a newly cooked mash to glean a clear sample to test a SG . If I really wish to . A good cook and good conversion will give me what I need to know by taste and smell .
When the ferment finishes the cap will fall and the mash will settle enough to let you sample for FG .
When I'm using a mash or wash I am familiar with I just use taste and smell along with observation .
Exactly. Once you have done it couple of times, you will know where it is. If necessary, you could use a refractometer for the OG. FG is easy, just taste it.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:

Cheers!
-j
Exactly. Once you have done it couple of times, you will know where it is. If necessary, you could use a refractometer for the OG. FG is easy, just taste it.
That worked marvelously thank you guys
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Glad we could help .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .