Backset -

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Backset -

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi All!

I'm planning my next ferment with another all grain single malt, maybe a 50/50 bourbon, a wheat/barley/corn thing, a peaty malt, or something like that.... I'm reading a lot of recommendations to add backset (like maybe 25% or so volume) to the mashing process...

I have not started saving backset yet but I guess will start keeping some from the various batches...

What kind of storage containers?
Are plastic bottles ok for backset?
How long can or should I store it?
Can I or should I use an acid blend, citric acid, tartaric acid, other instead of backset (if I don't have any saved yet) to lower pH?

Thanks! Mostly wondering about plastic bottles and how long till I chuck it...

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
zapata
Distiller

Re: Backset -

Post by zapata »

Plastic is fine. I typically freeze in gallon bags and it lasts forever. I have stored it in canning jars, preheat the jar fill hot and the lid vacuum seals. I expect that would last almost indefintely. I've read here of people just sealing in buckets that last quite a while but I try to only do that when I will reuse it soon.
Acid is a poor substitute for backset, but yes it is the substitute.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

jonnys_spirit wrote:Hi All!

I'm planning my next ferment with another all grain single malt, maybe a 50/50 bourbon, a wheat/barley/corn thing, a peaty malt, or something like that.... I'm reading a lot of recommendations to add backset (like maybe 25% or so volume) to the mashing process...

I have not started saving backset yet but I guess will start keeping some from the various batches...

Can I or should I use an acid blend, citric acid, tartaric acid, other instead of backset (if I don't have any saved yet) to lower pH?

Cheers,
j
I use a 5gal plastic bucket from home depot tend to use it righr away though
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Ok thanks. This gives some ideas... My main fermenters are 20 gallon brutes so I might try to collect some el-cheapo plastic bottles for storing various backset.... It gets boiled before using it in the next batch too so I guess it's sterile enough...

So, I will plan to keep backset from each of the main types of drink I make - ie; scotch, bourbon, corn whiskey, rum, agave-likker, brandies (?), etc...

When I'm doing a run - it may take several weeks to get through a couple batches and collecting low wines /etc so that backset will be used quickly... The time between runs is probably longer - maybe several months...

Does this backset procedure benefit brandies too? ie; Adding "brandy backset" to distilled grape and fruit wines?

Cheers!
-johann
————
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

jonnys_spirit wrote:Hi All!

Cheers,
j
Hi. You are gonna love the results. :-)

I use glass, but plastic works. Some like it fresh, some like it aged, and some like it infected. I like the smell fresh, but think (unscientific) I get more character from aged backset. You can keep as long as you like. I typically age it a few weeks before use, but at this time it's mainly because that workers into my schedule. If you let it set long enough, you will likely get an infection. Still usable; just siphone from the middlle and throw out the growth.

Re: Your last sentence. I may be reading this wrong, so forgive me if I misunderstood. The PH rises when adding backset, but that is a side effect and not necessarily the purpose of adding backset (with a caveat). When I add backset, I adjust the PH back to a yeast happy level. My last 15 gal ferment took 5 oz of potassium Carbonate to get PH back to where I want it.

The caveat. The caveat is that One purpose of adding backset is to add fatty acids ( found in the backset) to alcohol so that esters are created. So, rather than adding backset you could add the specific acid you want to create this esterfication effect, but it is not for the purpose of "raising the PH" but rather to add these specific acids for their chemical reaction.

just an FYI. Some of us are playing with adding backset to the spirit run. Same theory, adding backset (with fatty acids) to your low wines (alcohol) to create esters. Some add it directly to low wines, while I like mixing backset with the feints from my previous run then, after sitting a week, I add that to low wines. I also add backset to my ferment, so I typically save 3 gallons of backset from each ferment; two gallons for the next ferment, approx 1500 ml to mix with my feints, toss the resT. Doing both may be overkill. Im still experimenting with it.

Best of luck. Otis.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Thank you! I forgot to empty the still last spirit run so I do have some clear'ish backset from that which has been ageing. I'll use it this weekend if I can start my next malty malt beverage run :)

Cheers!
J
————
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

When storing / aging / infecting backset do y'all let it settle and rack off sediment or leave it in there? Why?

I've done a couple stripping runs and have some set aside... Might dose it w/yoghurt to develop a lacto and add into low wines before spirit run... Should I get it off the dead yeasties though at some point or keep those in there?

Cheers!
-j
————
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

jonnys_spirit wrote:Thank you! I forgot to empty the still last spirit run so I do have some clear'ish backset from that which has been ageing. I'll use it this weekend if I can start my next malty malt beverage run :)

Cheers!
J
Hey Jonny. I'm not 100% sure using backset from a Spirit run will have the same effect on esters that using Strip backset will. I believe that Spirit run backset does not have the fatty acids that a Strip backset would have. If it does anything special for ya, please let me know I was mistaken.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

jonnys_spirit wrote:When storing / aging / infecting backset do y'all let it settle and rack off sediment or leave it in there? Why?

I've done a couple stripping runs and have some set aside... Might dose it w/yoghurt to develop a lacto and add into low wines before spirit run... Should I get it off the dead yeasties though at some point or keep those in there?

Cheers!
-j
Hi again. I don't know what is "right", but I just pour my cooled backset from boiler to carboy and I am done. That said, I am decanting from my boiler so I do avoid most, but not all, of any sediment in the boiler. After that I don't worry about it because I siphone off what I use from the middle, between sediment and what is floating on top.

I do let my ferment settle and i siphon off clear beer for the wash. Someone who strips unracked ferment may have a different opinion.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

IMHO I would want everything the backset has to offer, the gunk in the bottom of the boiler etc etc.

Just pitch a handful of malted barley in the backset and maintain the pH around 5.5ish and you'll have a full blown infection in 18-24 hours and then let it do its thing.

I like to add dunder to the spirit run just because if I botch something up I'd rather have 4+ gallons of backset or dunder go bad than a 30 gallon ferment. JMO

I don't do sour mashing as I don't care for the flavor but with an infected backset it may just be the ticket but like I said I don't know.

I do like my lacto infected HBB so I guess that's the same as sour mashing, right?!?!