Lacto infection stalling mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Lacto infection stalling mash

Post by Hilltop »

Has anyone else had a lacto infection literally shut a mash down? Mine was All Grain Wheat, Rye and Corn.

I skimmed it to remove all the white film I could, and stirred and it restarted.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Lacto infection stalling mash

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Personally NO! However someone here will be able to help shed some light on the problem...no worries! How big is your volume? What yeast did you pitch and how much? Re-hydrated? And the usual questions... pH was? Starting Gravity was? and last but not least... what is your gravity now?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

30 gallon, I used 1 cup red star dady hydrated, pH was 5.0 didn't check gravity as I've done this little number many times but this lacto is getting worse I'm ready to pitch my plastics. I used clorine bleach on my barrel with hot water twice and the lacto reappears like magic. The stuff must be in the air down here.

I think my problem was temperature not Lacto but not sure yet. I'm running about 80 and my yeast likes 81 plus.

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Unless you are bleaching your grains, you ain't going to stop the lacto. Lacto is on the grains, and normal mashing procedures do not sterilize the grains.

If you are really bothered by it, get enzymes and then cook your grains, including malt, over 200 degrees. Then convert with the enzymes at normal temps.

I've had allot of mashes stop at 1.02, but I've never blamed the lacto, which all my whiskeys usually get to an extent. I've blamed the thermometer, hydrometer, yeast, and nutrients. Ph and infections are the last I look at.

Don't bleach your grains.
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

It's on the grains? Never knew that, I assumed it was airborne.Why not add a drop or two of bleach then? Pros , cons? I think it was a temp issue as with these hurricanes and over cast skies our temp has lowered. I need to switch to a winter yeast as dady likes 81 plus temps. Suggestions for a sugar grain whisky yeast in the 65 to 75 degree range anyone?

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Hilltop wrote:It's on the grains? Never knew that, I assumed it was airborne.Why not add a drop or two of bleach then? Pros , cons? I think it was a temp issue as with these hurricanes and over cast skies our temp has lowered. I need to switch to a winter yeast as dady likes 81 plus temps. Suggestions for a sugar grain whisky yeast in the 65 to 75 degree range anyone?
Us 05 is a fine winter yeast. I just switched my barrels over on the last ferment in preparation for the cold months ahead.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

The early bird gets the worm eh Shine on? Us 05 let's chat about that. Why do you prefer it?