NEED HELP! Very strange issue...

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: NEED HELP! Very strange issue...

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Assuming half thickness, how would an internal element fair on this?

In 3 1/2 years I've never bleached anythingfor beer or whiskey. Feel that's about to change in a week or two.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK I guess I should have maybe explained the why and not just the how. Agitation will break down the gummy consistency and metabisulphate will stop it reforming. This is how the wine industry deals with it and doesn't affect the taste as it gasses off so its pretty darn unlikely to have a major affect on spirit. Any remnant sulphur will be catalyzed by the copper any way. I can tell you for certain almost all wine grapes have this added at the time of harvest, the nature of machine harvesting makes it imperative to do so. We added a sachet maybe 200g to a bin maybe two ton
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Don't think I am not going to take your advice, crow. My yeast are not done yet, it's sitting at 1.01 and popping away. I have just never seen this before. It's not as bad as the Op, but definitely mucus like. I thought for a while it was the enzymes, but that doesn't make sense.

I'm just giving the rye enzyme a go while it's still popping, then will try and find some Camden tablets at the end. Although I didn't want to wait another week to run it, oh well.

Should have cleaned my mixer once or twice :lol:
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Well what in the hell do ya know. Got the same damn infection on my first Booners, although not as bad.

Guess we kinda Eskimo brothers at this point. Must used your stick to stir my mash.

I'm gonna throw some rye enzyme at it, see if that works.
Sorry to hear brother, post some pics if you can. Also read the articles I linked to earlier in this thread. I think the right combination of enzymes is the way to go, but will likely be going the TCW route and campden/blend it, already bought a big 25'' mixer. The best case scenario is to break down the goo though and hopefully release the sugars in there. Keep us posted!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you checked the SG lately?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

NZChris wrote:Have you checked the SG lately?
I'm sitting at 1.00 today. Not sure if the consistency is giving a higher reading than true. Although, I couldn't imagine it could be much lower with that reading, but the yeast are still rocking the hell outta that barrel.

Edit, I realize you were probably adressing the op, just adding to the convo.
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

No it was too thick to check initially. I'm going to try to get to it on Friday with the paint mixer and buzz it up. I highly doubt that I can get any liquid to float a hydrometer.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Whizzing up the pulp might not be helpful if you want try to strain it. If you wait long enough, the cap should drop. Meanwhile, leaving a hydrometer in the fermenter for a while might get you a reading.

If you are in a hurry to do another ferment, I suggest you get another one.
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

NZChris wrote:Whizzing up the pulp might not be helpful if you want try to strain it.
I totally agree Chris. I don't think I'll be able to strain it anyway. Was hoping to get as thin as possible (add water if necessary) and cook in my alembic. I haven't looked at it in 4 days, I'll open it up tonight.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Actually that assumption is incorrect, if you successfully break it up with the inhibitor added it should settle and clear to at least as good as it would have been without the infection.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

thecroweater wrote:Actually that assumption is incorrect, if you successfully break it up with the inhibitor added it should settle and clear to at least as good as it would have been without the infection.
That is the best news I've heard all thread! I'm going to take the day off work tomorrow and work on it. TCW I hope you make a believer out of me! :lol:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
I'm sitting at 1.00 today, not sure if the consistency is giving a higher reading. Although I couldn't imagine it could much with that reading, and the yeast still rocking the hell outta that barrel.

why does this make no sense to me?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

HDNB wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
I'm sitting at 1.00 today, not sure if the consistency is giving a higher reading. Although I couldn't imagine it could much with that reading, and the yeast still rocking the hell outta that barrel.

why does this make no sense to me?
I am also confused by it, I think he meant "lower reading" because its buoyancy is keeping it "higher" out of the liquid. I can't imagine the the ferment rocking the hell out of anything at 1.00, so it's probably because of the viscosity and or the yeast action.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Sorry, got out of work early, had a few. I added some missing words to help complete the thought.

30 hours later the yeast are finally calming down. Will see where she lands in a day or so.
JohnsMyName
Bootlegger

Post by JohnsMyName »

So Thursday night I blended campden and mixed it up real good with electric drill and mixer. Mixed again yesterday and today. It is def way way thinner than before. Thanks TCW, you were right!

It's still a thick purée though, hoping it will settle out with time. Any suggestions to help it along? Pectic enzyme, bentonite, etc??
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Stillness and time ,
Kinda depends how much fines are in suspension it may or may not settle right out but at least it will be runable. Give it 4 or 5 days and with luck the fines will drop :thumbup: