Sterilite Container For Fermenting

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Sterilite Container For Fermenting

Post by TDick »

Seems like I've seen a site that gives me thumbs up but wanted to put this out anyway.
I need a fermenter for 12-15 gallon washes and was going to use a trash can. But while at Target today and found this 20 gallon Sterilite container that appears to be perfect. The size I need, feels sturdy and not too tall as to be a pain to work with. And it's just $7.00
Sterilite 20 Gallon.jpg
Sterilite 20 Gallon.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 861 times
I know I've read that Sterilite is okay for fermenting, but wasn't sure if that was the just the clear ones or not.
Has anyone else used them?
[/color]

After posting I looked on the bottom and found "PP5"
This from Healthychild.org
http://www.healthychild.org/know-your-plastics/

"CODE 5: PP (POLYPROPYLENE)
Qualities: Hard but flexible
Common usage: Ice cream and yogurt containers, drinking straws, syrup bottles, salad bar containers and diapers
PP is one of the safer plastics, but be sure to recycle wherever possible"

So if you need a 20 gallon, this seems to be a good choice.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by TDick on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sterilite Container For Fermenting

Post by seamusm53 »

Believe this is the same plastic in the trashcans (which is what I use). Should be okay but personally bending over to use this container would be harder on my back and maneuvering around a heavy square box is a pain. The ~30 gallon trashcan is IMHO a perfect fermenter.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

seamusm53 wrote:Believe this is the same plastic in the trashcans (which is what I use). Should be okay but personally bending over to use this container would be harder on my back and maneuvering around a heavy square box is a pain. The ~30 gallon trashcan is IMHO a perfect fermenter.
I know exactly what you mean. That's why I like this size. I can put it on a stand off the floor to easily work with instead of having to bend down into a 30 gallon for a half full wash.
:mrgreen:
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I use a couple of these and kinda like them, but they like to bend out of shape and pop the lids off.

I recommend getting them up off the floor and putting spigots in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk