fermenting time

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mcG
Novice

fermenting time

Post by mcG »

i have came to the conclusion that it takes me,around 24 to 27 hrs per 1 lbs of sugar at around 20/c using bakers yeast,to complete fermentation,but that's good as i don't like to rush things,and then there's clearing time,i know there's turbo yeast but that's not my thing,i like the taste of the bread yeast,the point is,does the wash need to be crystal clear before distilling,or can it be cloudy
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: fermenting time

Post by jon1163 »

Just put your wash into a Carboy, or if you are using all grain, squeeze the wash out of the grain using a mesh bag, and then put your Carboy into the fridge for 2 days. I've never had any problem running a slightly cloudy wash but I do like to get most of the East out of there as it causes somewhat of an off flavor. I also use a heating element so I think heating elements are even worse for floating yeasties. Two days should be enough to clear anything you need at least in my experience... and again, I've never had a problem running a slightly cloudy wash.
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

i broke the carboy,to big for fridge anyway,i suppose it will have to go in the coldest place i can find
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

You talking about a pound per gallon or 24 hours per pound no matter the ferment size?
I.e. 30# in20 gallon = 30 day ferment.
Please elaborate
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

it seems to take 24 to 27 hrs per pound,so 15 kg would take around 30 days,i'm doing 6 kg made up to 6 gallon,its been going for 10 days and i think it will go 4 more
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

mcG wrote:i have came to the conclusion that it takes me,around 24 to 27 hrs per 1 lbs of sugar at around 20/c using bakers yeast............
In how big a wash ?
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

2 kg took 4 or 5 days,6 kg is taking 14 days,so maybe 15 kg would take 30 days,but i don't know about the 15 kg,as i haven't done it yet
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Honestly,it as long as it takes. Aside from that
There are a few simple things that can be done to speed ferment times such as adjusting ferment temps to suit the yeast or changing yeast to fit the temps.
Proper nutrients, this can be as simple as a spoon full of tomato paste or some boiled and cooled yeast. There are also commercial yeast nutrients on the market.
P.h. control is also very important also. This can be kept from dropping too low with crushed oyster shell.
Perhaps most importantly though is a reasonable starting gravity. Rarely will you find a recipe recommending a starting gravity over 1.075 or1.080

All of the recipes found in the tried and true section have most or all of these things under controlling as written and are a great place to start.
For example,
My ujssm,sweetfeed,and rum regularly ferment dry in under 60 hours regardless fermenter volume with a starting gravity of 1.075.
That's roughly a pound and a half to a pound and 3/4 per gallon of water...err,3 kilos sugar to 20 litres water. Roughly.... I think.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

mcG wrote:it seems to take 24 to 27 hrs per pound,so 15 kg would take around 30 days,i'm doing 6 kg made up to 6 gallon,its been going for 10 days and i think it will go 4 more
no it doesn't work like that, MGP have massive fermentors , ya think they take years to ferment?. Yeast, temps, Ph and a bunch of other factors can affect ferment times but one of the defining factors is the amount of sugar per volume. Sure the amount of yeast pitched will reduce the colonizing time but once that's done it with process the sugar pretty much at the same rate regardless of the size.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

2 weeks for 6 gallons ok for me,i wont be doing more than that in one go