How do I make enough mash for 15 gallon keg?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greybeard
Novice

How do I make enough mash for 15 gallon keg?

Post by greybeard »

Forgive me if I have just overlooked this as I am sure it has been addressed. I have a 15.5 gallon keg for a boiler. How do I create enough mash to fill it? Do I need to make more than one batch in a 5 gallon stock pot? I'm guessing more than one carboy too? Is there a more convenient way that I am just overlooking?
Greybeard
"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." -Gandalf the Grey
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: How do I make enough mash for 15 gallon keg?

Post by jb-texshine »

Scd has a post around here somewhere called "easy large batch mashing"or similar.
Basically though,the limiting factor is pot size. My WATER boiler IS a 15.5 gallon keg with a heating element and a drain and a unmolested top on a workbench. Thirty pounds grain in trashcan fermenter,open drain on boiler and dump 15 gallons water. Repeat to get 60#in 30 gallon. Then hit it with enzymes. Done.
Like a lot of this hobby, it's all about having the equipment to make life easier.
Jb
Last edited by jb-texshine on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

greybeard wrote:Forgive me if I have just overlooked this as I am sure it has been addressed. I have a 15.5 gallon keg for a boiler. How do I create enough mash to fill it? Do I need to make more than one batch in a 5 gallon stock pot? I'm guessing more than one carboy too? Is there a more convenient way that I am just overlooking?
I'm a noob :mrgreen:
There is a HUGE amount of information on this website. Sometimes TOO MUCH info making it hard to narrow down an answer.
I keep being reminded.
READ READ READ.
Cheers!
:mrgreen:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Here you go!

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=65703

I'm about to update it with my recent enzyme adventures. Other things have come up lately. By this inspired me to bump it up!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
greybeard
Novice

Post by greybeard »

Thanks for the input. I have spent several hours reading and searching to no avail. Is it there? Probably. Under my nose? Possibly. Did I find it? Nope. But I also can't find my glasses.....oh there they are on my face.
Greybeard
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

greybeard wrote:Thanks for the input. I have spent several hours reading and searching to no avail. Is it there? Probably. Under my nose? Possibly. Did I find it? Nope. But I also can't find my glasses.....oh there they are on my face.
Nope,it's there. Lol Scd posted the link in the post above yours at the same time you posted.

Deo Vendice

greybeard
Novice

Post by greybeard »

Trash can makes sense. I guess I just wondered about the seal being tight enough to keep unwanted stuff out and adding an airlock. But now that I know to search trash can in the search box I am getting some ideas. You guys rock.
Greybeard
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Here you go!

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=65703

I'm about to update it with my recent enzyme adventures. Other things have come up lately. By this inspired me to bump it up!
Thanks Scd

Deo Vendice

dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

socd is the best way
i use it all the time
i mash usually 60 lbs in 30 gallons of water
mop wringer and paint bag the mash and get almost all the water back
let it settle ,siphone clear and put slop in thumper
usually i do 2 strip runs and have 5-6 gallons of low wines for spirit run
just got done a wheated bourbon.55 lbs corn 11 lbs floured wheat berries 6 lbs wheat malt
mmmmmm. :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

greybeard wrote:Trash can makes sense. I guess I just wondered about the seal being tight enough to keep unwanted stuff out and adding an airlock. But now that I know to search trash can in the search box I am getting some ideas. You guys rock.
You don't need it to seal, the yeast will create on o2 layer above the liquid, it'll be fine. I've been using 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans for a couple years with no problems. My ferments usually sit at least a month before I run them, sometimes up to 6-8months. Once the ferment starts I don't take the cover off until I'm ready to siphon it out.

Admin edit for advertising
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

greybeard wrote:Trash can makes sense. I guess I just wondered about the seal being tight enough to keep unwanted stuff out and adding an airlock. But now that I know to search trash can in the search box I am getting some ideas. You guys rock.
Don't worry about a seal and airlock,a big towel works great. Your not gonna drink the mash like beer or wine so a lil infection won't hurt and may actually be a good thing.

Deo Vendice

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Or with a 13 gallon bucket...

http://www.thecarycompany.com/plastic-e ... ers-56wz13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

There is no need to have a BIG fermenter. You can put 100 litres in five twenty litre containers or in one big one. Makes no difference.

Geoff
The Baker
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

get big fermenter, add 15g boiling water, add grain, add enzymes at appropriate temps, add yeast when them has dropped enough.
just a loose lid on the fermenter works just fine
Don't be a dick
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

32 gal Big Brute, 2 # grain/gal water, 15.5 gal boiler = 2 stripping runs = 1 spirit run.
I have done 2 Big Brutes, 4 stripping runs and 1 large spirit run, but I suggest you start your ferments 2-3 days apart to keep from working yourself to death when 60 gals of mash finish at the same time. learned that the hard way. It will take sereval cycles to fill a 15 gal keg. I wonder if that is feasible for the avg HD
. I have a couple of 5 gal and that is stuggle

BG
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I use a 100 gallon fermenter.
It takes several ferments to come out with enough final spirit to fill a 15 gallon oak barrel.
Yes it is a lot of work, but imagine how nice the feeling is going into winter with full oak barrels out there aging.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

I use three twenty gallon Rubbermaid trashcans.
25 pound of sugar in each, someone's I'll split a 10 pounder of sugar on each can to get a bit more volume.
I shoot for 1.07 so I end up with about 15-16 gallons in each.
I add my ingredients, pitch some yeast, add some shells, drop in my aquarium heaters, pop on the lid, cover with beach towels and seal with tape and forget about it for 4 weeks.
After racking the first time I'll get about 13-14 gallons in each.
Then about 13 -13-½ gallons after racking into the boiler
This gives me three 13 -13-½ gallon charges for stripping with the pot still.

( I went a little heavy last time and ran 4 charges)
After collecting my low wines I dillute to 40% and get a 13.5 gallon charge for my reflux run.
However, the next time I do a reflux run, im going to run two charges at 20%
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SpiritRunDave and I both line our 32 gallon Brutes with 55 gallon clear garbage bags and top with another for a seal . You can watch whats going on in the fermenter without exposing it to air/stray contamanints .
I nest my 32 gallon in a 44 gallon filled with water and place an aquarium heater in the clear water if ambient temperatures warrant some help .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Before the move I had a 45gal drum to ferment in as well as a garbage can. Until I replace them, I’m using four 30 litre brewing buckets, cover with clear garbage bags, throw a open sleeping bag over them. I use a 40watt bulb on a lamp sitting in between the buckets for heat when needed.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!