Tried and True Calculators

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cellsaver
Novice

Tried and True Calculators

Post by cellsaver »

Hey there everyone,

I put together this OpenOffice spreadsheet that calculates all the ingredients for many of the Tried and True's. It's based on the size of the fermenter you have, and the goal is that it will calculate up a recipe that will fit in it. Also has links to the recipe for easy access, as well as the basic original instructions from the site. Also has some conversions, like pounds to cups for sugar.

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ckxfaf5ye7mg ... s.ods?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here's the link for OpenOffice if you don't have it: https://www.openoffice.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Edit: here's a link if you just want to see what it's like - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... BM/pubhtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm sure it has some bugs, after awhile at looking at all these numbers I start seeing double lol. So please let me know what I need to fix.

C
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Tried and True Calculators

Post by StillerBoy »

Quite impressive work layout cellsaver.. should save time for people wanting to have a starting base..

Thanks for your time and posting..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Very cool compilations

I was thinking something like this needed to be done so thanks!
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Thanks, I keep adding recipes so I'll have to figure out the best way to keep the most current version downloadable.
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Added a few more. Here is a link for an editable Google sheet. I have a backup, but please don't edit anything except fermenter size. If there are any errors noticed let me know and I will fix.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

EDIT: Do NOT use that original file I posted, found lots of mistakes in it. The link here reflects the most current version.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Cool that you are putting this spreadsheet together. Not sure if I understand the backset column , looking down it I see cups, tbs, and other units, if those are refering to the quantity of the listed ingredients it would have me adding 4.5 cups of each of the emzynes to a small batch of Booners easy corn. ??

OVZ
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Looks like somebody was fooling with it and screwed up the UJSSM backset value. What you do is put in what percentage of your 2nd gen you want to be backset, and down below it'll give you how many gallons of water and how many gallons of backset based on the percentage you entered. See pasted output below.

Take a look again at the Booner's, you'll see that the 4.5 is mL's. Cups is 0 at this quantity as the value is so small, but if one wanted to scale this recipe up hugely then it'd be easier to measure in cups.

UJSSM calculator
Size of fermenter (gallons) 6.5 Backset 25.00%

Starter
Water (gallons) 5 (soft, filtered water)

Sugar (pounds) 7 / Cups 14.0
Cracked corn (pounds) 7
Yeast (tbsp) 1.0 / Cups 0.1

Next generation
Water (gallons) 3.75
Backset (gallons) 1.25

Sugar (pounds) 7 / Cups 14.0
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Now that I'm awake your sheet makes sense :thumbup: :thumbup:

OVZ
AK49ER
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Down a 200 mile gravel road last homestead on the left

Post by AK49ER »

Good work !
AK49er
tuner
Novice

Post by tuner »

Great tool
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

cellsaver , that is bloody awesome :thumbup: Is there any chance of making it so us poor metric folk can convert so we don't have to hurt our brains with all that gallons and quarts stuff :crazy:
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Yeah I’ll make a second sheet that is metric, should be able to get to it next week.
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Just to make sure I get it right, how do you measure your yeast in metric, grams?
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Grams or teaspoons or millilitres
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Ok here is the beta with both Imperial and Metric.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Take a look and comment please. I converted the original recipe text from the forum for each one to metric as well.

C
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Ah, nice one!
I have been translating to metric some recipes too.
The first one seems to be quite close. But in the second I found a large difference.
On the second I got 2,4 kg of each malt, while you got 0,7 kg.

Thank you. I did not take the trouble of redoing all recipes: a bit lazy and a lot of them I will translate when I want to make them.
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Kareltje wrote:Ah, nice one!
I have been translating to metric some recipes too.
The first one seems to be quite close. But in the second I found a large difference.
On the second I got 2,4 kg of each malt, while you got 0,7 kg.
Ah, I’ll fix that one tomorrow, thanks!
Woowoo
Novice

Post by Woowoo »

New to the forum and just picking up a few things. Interesting and helpful tool. Thank you!
KiwiArmour
Novice

Post by KiwiArmour »

Any updates to this? As it is super handy
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Thanks for taking the time. And cheers for using open source.
Nunyo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nunyo »

Another thank you for creating this conversion spreadsheet! Very cool! This will come in handy to confirm my math and in some cases save me from having to bust out the calculator!

Edit:
OK, that little spread sheet of yours is pretty cool! I just downloaded the google spread sheet app to my ipad and was able to use the sheet. Props to the OP for his contribution! That is a very handy little tool! Hopefully the OP is still active here! If he/she isn’t, my wife is a wiz at spread sheets and I might be able to have her add additional recipes to it. OP, you still here?
cellsaver
Novice

Post by cellsaver »

Hey guys I've been getting a lot of requests for access to the calculator spreadsheet over the years, have been away from home brewing for awhile as I made so much hooch in the beginning I still have a bunch left! Anyways glad folks are having fun with it.
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

cellsaver wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 am Hey guys I've been getting a lot of requests for access to the calculator spreadsheet over the years, have been away from home brewing for awhile as I made so much hooch in the beginning I still have a bunch left! Anyways glad folks are having fun with it.
Can you please upload the excel version (with metric) to dropbox? Googledocs ask for permission and stuff, I just can't use it.
AK49ER
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Down a 200 mile gravel road last homestead on the left

Post by AK49ER »

Kyolic , i used to get it in dropbox but it is say i need permissions ? Thanks
AK49er