Pre-cooking corn

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lawfish
Bootlegger

Pre-cooking corn

Post by Lawfish »

I know this has been addressed in some of the T & T threads, but it bears repeating. I recently started adding my cracked corn to a 4 gallon pot and filling it with water, then leaving it in the oven for 8 hours at 200 degrees before starting my mash procedure. The first time, I used 15 pounds of corn and when it was done, the corn had actually absorbed all the water and pushed the lid of the pot up a couple inches. So I backed down to 10 pounds and I got near-perfect absorption.

From there, I go through the pintoshine method, adding the cracked corn into hot water being stirred by an overhead 1/2 " drill with a mud paddle. Once all the corn is in and I've added the Sebstar, I run an immersion blender to break the larger kernels down. This has allowed me to get the amount of sugar I used to get from 15 pounds of corn out of 10 pounds. OG of the resulting lautered mash is around 1.058. I then add sugar since I'm making gin, not whiskey, but this would easily work for making whiskey. The mash ferments down below 1.000 and makes a very nice tasting white dog.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Pre-cooking corn

Post by Twisted Brick »

Lawfish wrote:I
Once all the corn is in and I've added the Sebstar, I run an immersion blender to break the larger kernels down. This has allowed me to get the amount of sugar I used to get from 15 pounds of corn out of 10 pounds.
Great idea on the immersion blender. What's squeezing like?

TB
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

I use a 5 gallon bucket with 3/32" holes drilled in the bottom and a drill with a plaster paddle. No squeezing here.
Lawfish

Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

8 hours at 200 degrees? Fahrenheit, I presume? So 93 dgr Celsius.
Doesn't that cost a lot of energy?
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

I don't think it takes much energy. Gas stove on low all day.
Lawfish