Rye mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Greencountry
Novice

Rye mash

Post by Greencountry »

Hey you all new to the site hope I’m in the correct page. I had a 3gallon pot still that I have made fairly good corn sugar shine. I have recently purchased a 8 gallon column pot still but have not used it yet. I have some rye out of the field and was wondering about trying it out. My plan is to heat 10# cracked rye and 5# 2 row malted barley and heat it to 160 for an hour or two then chill it to about 90 and pitch in 2oz yeast for a 6 gallon mash. Wondering if this would work.
I also have watermelon and jalapeño and peppers to use if I could get ideas for them.
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Rye mash

Post by HDNB »

i think i'd take the rye up to 115 for 1/2 hour then all the way to 175 and hold for 1/2 hour, cool to 155 add the malt, hold at 148 for 90 minutes, then cool to yeast temp.

but that's just me.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rye mash

Post by Chixter »

Hello Greencountry, welcome.

I strongly suggest you start reading the materials in The New Distiller Lounge on the main page. I'm by far no expert but I can assure you that if you proceed with your plan as posted, you are going to create 15-20# of mush that you are going to dump in the compost or the garbage. Please do yourself a favor and read the basics. It is a rewarding and very cool hobby but you have to get some knowledge to delve into it.

If you heat your cracked rye and malted barley at 160f for an hour or two, you will most likely get almost no conversion, and end up with a thick sludgy mess and will be disappointed with all of your efforts.

This is not rocket science but it is a science never the less that needs to be understood or experiments will fail.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.