Tequila

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tequila

Post by Boda Getta »

In the 7'ish years since I started HD I started out with with UJ and Sweet Feed, then on to All Grains. I have made Bourbon, Wheat, Rye, Corn whiskey, Single Malt, and tripled distilled Irish, as well as vodka, vapor infused Gin. What I have never made is Tequila or mezcal. I have seen recipes for Tequila using Agave syrup but I suspect with poor results and very expensive. My problem, of course. is no feasible supply of agave, blue or otherwise. It would seem to me that there would be a decent market for agave for us in this hobby. I believe it would be cost effective for producers in Mexico or the SW US to dig the pita's, roast them, chip/grind them and market in 50 # bags. I have no idea of the costs, but I can't believe that someone couldn't make money selling a small amount to us, rather than the large Tequila or mezcal distilleries at, I suspect, low wholesale prices.

What say you guys?

BG
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tequila

Post by fizzix »

Interestingly, it's a crop that could thrive in the Southwestern United States. But even the big distilleries still import it.
Must just be cheaper for them that way.
Sadly I'm not allowed tequila anymore since the "Incident Of 1997." Don't ask.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Strange, I had one of those "Incidents" one time, but I was drinking bourbon, not Tequila. May be us and not what we were drinking....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The industry doesn't want you growing their agave and competing with them, so buy a suitable sized piece of dirt in a good growing climate, obtain some seeds by doing whatever it takes and, if you do decide to go commercial, call your product something other than Tequila and have funds available for lawsuits.