Mash Bill Rookie Question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jloftin60
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mash Bill Rookie Question

Post by jloftin60 »

On a 10 gallon run. If the mash bill calls for 75% corn, 13% Rye, and 12% Barley. Does that mean 7.5 lbs corn, 1.3 lbs rye, and 1.2 lbs. of barley?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Mash Bill Rookie Question

Post by still_stirrin »

That would give you 10lb. grain for a 10 gallon batch...a little light, I'd say. I recommend 2.25 lb. per gallon, so you can scale the grainbill accordingly.

Question for you...have you ever mashed an all grain recipe before? If not, good luck with it. Do all your reading so you're not stumped when things get sticky....which they will.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

That will make a pretty thin mash at only 1 lb. of grain per gallon of water. A better ratio would be 2.25 lbs. grain per gallon.

Calculate it this way:
2.25X10=22.5 -- total lbs. grain
22.5X.75=16.875 -- lbs. corn
22.5X.13=2.925 -- lbs. rye
22.5X.12=2.7 -- lbs. barley

Assuming your rye and barley are both malted grains, you will have enough diastatic power for conversion.

Edit: posting with SS
jloftin60
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jloftin60 »

If I have a 10 gallon still and I want a 75-13-12 mash bill. What would be my calculations?

Edited....I thought i had deleted this question. Duh?

Thank you for the formula and help.
Last edited by jloftin60 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

You would use the same formula. You'll need to adjust the gallons of water to the amount you determine you need after doing some of the highly recommended reading material to be found on this site.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Jloftin, part of what youre missing is how much you want to charge the still with, and how much volume you lose in your process.
I would charge a 10 gallon still with no more than 8 gallons. So you could base your grain bill on that. But how big of a mash do you need to get 8 gallons into your boiler will vary based on how much you spill, oops, I mean how you strain, settle, rack etc.
Maybe just do 10 gallons of water to start and see how much you end up with. If you're like most of us once you get the hang of it you will do a single 3x as large mash and ferment, to be run as 3 separate stripping runs. By then you'll have a better handle on your process and volumes.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

zapata wrote:Jloftin, part of what youre missing is how much you want to charge the still with, and how much volume you lose in your process.
I would charge a 10 gallon still with no more than 8 gallons. So you could base your grain bill on that. But how big of a mash do you need to get 8 gallons into your boiler will vary based on how much you spill, oops, I mean how you strain, settle, rack etc.
Maybe just do 10 gallons of water to start and see how much you end up with. If you're like most of us once you get the hang of it you will do a single 3x as large mash and ferment, to be run as 3 separate stripping runs. By then you'll have a better handle on your process and volumes.
All excellent advice. How big is your fermenter is the question.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jloftin60
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jloftin60 »

Thanks