The fallacy of turbo yeasts

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

The fallacy of turbo yeasts

Post by hpby98 »

So I haven’t seen it explain here like this so here’s my thought.

Given that X amount of sugar will always result in X amount of alcohol (give or take a little)

All that turbos let you do is ferment the same amount of sugar in less water. That seems to be it...

And for that, you get off tastes and much higher cost. Perhaps $1 of Red Star vs $10 of specialty yeast.

Given that many do stripping runs before their spirit runs does it really matter when you think about like that?

Just curious on others thoughts as my Birdwatchers have all gone textbook.

Perhaps some grain runs / DWWWG coming up in the new year
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The fallacy of turbo yeasts

Post by fizzix »

Former King Turbo From The Land Of Rotten Liquor responding here.

Cost is high.
The excessive nutrients are like intoxicating your employees (the yeast) and expecting them to do good work.
And it requires carbon filtering more often than not to rid the foul tastes.

Now, HD member der wo (where is he?) advocated turbos in SOME fruit concoctions, so they do have a place.
But he was exceptional in his knowledge and methods.

Gimme the cheap and effective standard yeasts any day. Just my humble 2¢
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

its a strain of yeast that's can ferment high abv in fact they have one turbo extra or whatever that can go to 23% abv . Those yeasts are about high yields and fast ferments like the bio-fuel guys chase, they are not really suited for anything you want to drink.
If you have to carbon filter it to make it drinkable you are polishing a turd and that gives you a turd with polish on it. I believe some of their range is possibly better than others (or is it some are worse) . Just going through this book here ( Brewing Crafts by Mike Rodgers-Wilson) which lists the different turbo yeasts with charts of their various tolerances abilities and limitations and I can see some are going to be much worse. Looking at what's written here you would want to avoid the turbo temperature tolerant super seven , a worse choice still would be the turbo express 24 hour yeast and the very worse would be turbo extra that they even claim is sub alcohol. Now this book is a bit old and as have bought out other specific yeasts like whiskey yeasts with added enzymes and as they are a different strain than those pre-mentioned it might be OK. I only know one person to have used it and he thought it was fine. Those afore mentioned 4 strains are all specific for speed , height yield or both, great of ya making ya own fuel otherwise look for a better quality product.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Prestige whiskey yeast with AG is solid and shouldnt be lumped with turbos if thats the one you were talking about crow. Its one if my favorites, and really shines in corn whiskey.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yezar that's it yes I'm aware its a different strain sold by the same mob. :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin