Masticating juicer for corn mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Backfire
Novice

Masticating juicer for corn mash

Post by Backfire »

I have been watching you tube videos on the Omega masticating juicer and they appear to separate solids and liquids by screw compression. Just wonder if anyone has tried this on a corn mash. If it works at a reasonable rate I will pick one up immediately.

Our fermenting/distilling site is right next to the tractor operated mill and the grainery is full of corn. Same corn that goes to the distillery. But everyone here knows the corn mash issue.

I have done multiple searches on line and checked this site with the search engine prior to posting. I have sent an email to Omega asking if it will work with this type of liquid/solid application with no reply so far. It sure does look like a miniature of the huge on the distillers use.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Masticating juicer for corn mash

Post by frunobulax »

I have an Omega juicer. There is no way it will work in a reasonable amount of time. It's meant for juicing fruits and vegetables and it's pretty slow at that. Also,if I recall
correctly, it wasn't cheap.
Backfire
Novice

Post by Backfire »

I am still needing to know if the masticating juicer will work for this application. If it does there are size options. As far as price goes it will be a shared tool and I have no problem paying the price.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i made a small screw press from a 2" tube, auger and 2hp motor. it was geared down and did an ok job separating grain and wort, but it was slow.

i don't think spinning the screw faster would have helped. i don't think larger holes would have made it faster, prolly worse since it did allow some solids through the "screen" which was 1/8" holes in the tube.

the tube was 3' long, just about right i think.

it had tons of torque so pressure was good, the grain exited pretty dry.

but it was too slow. i think a larger diameter is the only way to increase speed.

so... i bought a 6" pipe :lol: :twisted: :lol: but have not had time to build it yet. :(

if you don't mind paying the price the vincent corp out of florida makes a nice lab size screw press ( i'm basing my fabrication on it's design.) personally i came up about 29,800 short of their 30,000 asking price.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

As long as the corn is soft, I can't see why it wouldn't work well.
One thing I always thought about using, especially for large batches, is a wine press. Dump it in and squeeze it.