Grits Bourbon

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mpearce
Novice

Re: NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Post by mpearce »

So decided to do this for the new year. Living in Japan it is always interesting. I was able to get 25kg bag of corn grits, i.e. very fine crush corn. Don't know what your cracked corn would look like. This though is fine ground and when I boiled it for an hour became a big gooey mass. I have a HERMs system for all the beer brewing I do. So threw it into the mash tun and mixed in the malts turned on the HERMs and let it work it's magic. Mashed for an hour had good conversion. I did a smaller batch since this is the first time. Did 3kg of corn and 2kg of pilsner malt. Went into the frementor at 1.074 if it ferments out should be around 8.5%abv, was hoping for 10%+ but not bad for a first time. Will be making this again soon. I have a 5ltr barrel I want to fill.
thecroweater
retired

Re: Grits Bourbon

Post by thecroweater »

Grits should work fine, my brother in law uses corn meal and I'm sure that would too up even more but thins up with malt real quick.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
mpearce
Novice

Re: Grits Bourbon

Post by mpearce »

thecroweater wrote:Grits should work fine, my brother in law uses corn meal and I'm sure that would too up even more but thins up with malt real quick.
Yes, it thinned right up once I put the malts in. I am think of adding rice hulls to the boil to keep it broken up.