Help!!!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Re: Help!!!

Post by TDick »

cede wrote:Yes, just sit the lid loosely on top of the bucket, should be fine. You can lay a tea towel over the lid just to be sure.
I did a bunch of fermentations like this and never had a single infection.
Now I use a conical fermenter, so it's a bit different ;)

I saw some using activated carbon, but mainly to try to remove off flavors during fermentation.
I think it's best to still and then cut to 80 proof before filtering on activated carbon is you are making neutral.

TDick some plastics are bad with food, especially some storage plastics. They also give a bad taste to the mash.
I completely understand!
Somewhere in my noob reading, someone mentioned that Sterilite was safe for fermenting.
So I bought the 20 gallon which is a good size for me. The online description for materials just says "plastic"
Here is the statement from http://www.sterilite.com
"Q: What materials are used to manufacture Sterilite products?
A: Our products are made of polypropylene and polyethylene that are safe for food storage. No PVCs, Latex, Teflon, Phthalates chemicals, fungicides, Bishphenol A (BPAs), or antibacterial chemicals are used in our manufacturing process. Our clear (see-through) products are acid-free, and safe for storing photos, fabrics, craft, or hobby items and other keepsakes. We do not recommend the use of plastic products for negatives that are glass plate, nitrate or acetate-based.

Also here is one review from the website about the 20 gallon:
by HTH Farm from Effingham, New Hampshire Age:55-65 Gender:female
We use ours for a different reason than most people. We store our feed grain in them. This style with the flip up, bar latch keeps most animals out of the bins. Some of ours have lasted 5 years exposed to all kinds of weather. As well as very determined sheep and goats trying to break into them. Oh, We also use them to put newborn baby goats in when it is too cold outside for them.
Very Sad we have not been able to find more with this handle. The animals can open the other styles of handles without a problem.

[/b]
Last, several reviews talked about Target regularly putting them on sale for $4-5. And no, I do NOT work at Target. :lolno:
1.jpg
:P
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

As far as they are food safe, you can store food in it ;)

But alcohol is another game, and not all plastics are alcohol tolerant even at low levels. Plus a mash is acidic, so always be on the safe side !
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

I think the turbo clear goes in after fermentation is complete.
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !