Help!!!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

666eyes
Novice

Help!!!

Post by 666eyes »

Iv had an explosion [COLLISION SYMBOL] y has this happened??
Help missed not happy [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][COLLISION SYMBOL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man’s got to brew what a man’s got to Brew!
666eyes
Novice

Re: New to making devils water!!

Post by 666eyes »

Guys Iv had an explosion in the night with my wash... what happened??

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Help!!!

Post by Yummyrum »

666eyes
I have deleted your multiple duplicated posts .....can I also insist you disable the Tapatalk insertion as it contravenes our rules on advertising .

So Back on topic what the hell happened ...is that a fish tank heater that exploded or something
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

Hi it’s my wash it’s built up pressure and exploded everywhere Iv got an immersion heater in the top to keep me at 25c.
The wash is bubbling so much it can’t get out quick enough!
It’s doing it again now as I have the lid open a bit and it’s running down the side??
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Ouch. Thats going to be a fun mess. You just learned a lesson the hard way. Always leave adiquate head space. And always have a back up containment system. Get that bucket it a large garbage bag to contain any spills and keep swmbo from turning th evil eye on you and your new found hobby.
Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Dude ...what are you fermenting .I saw black and thought it was a charcoal explosion
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

I filled up to the line 25l thought that would be ok? is this normal then the amount it’s bubbling?
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

To be fair I’m not really sure ha ha... it’s my 1st wash Iv got sugar, cherry’s , raspberries and yeast in there and then added a carbon clean up to 25l and an immusion heater keeping the temp around 25c... after that I’m not sure what’s meant to happen??
Seems like it’s bubbling hard to much gas coming off it for the small hole maybe??
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Its always good to have at least 1/5 space at the top . Not so sure about the carbon you're using ....I would have expected to see some nice red colour from those lovely berries you have ...not that black crap . That sounds like something the home brew shop sells you to soak up all the nasty shit the turbo yeast makes .
What yeast are you using ?
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

The line I stopped at was about 3 and a half inches from the top that has filled with bubbles almost like washing up liquid { it’s not I cleaned it out about 5 times}

Iv uses a vodka yeast from still spirits
And a turbo carbon clean from still spirits..

Apparently they don’t go to well together ha ha
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

That carbon can be a stain maker, too.
This is why we push Tried and True Recipes. Most recipes use cheap bakers yeast and not a carbon additive to be found.
Remember that the home brew shop guy is in business to sell you stuff. He is not always a source of good advice.
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

It’s all a learning curve I suppose... I made my wash before I found this site I was looking for recipes in the wrong places!!
I will use one next that is tryed and tested!!
It’s still bubbling pretty hard is there anything I can do?
I’m going to leave it fermenting hopefully no more explosions..
This misses should come around and start talking to me soon.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Yeah I'm not busting your chops over pre-Home Distiller choices. I OWN that title! (You should've seen the shit I was cranking out.)
We'll get you there as long as you continue to help yourself.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

666eyes wrote:...It’s still bubbling pretty hard is there anything I can do?..
Well, first off...you could remove the heater. And move the fermenter out of the laundry room (where your dryer also warms the fermenter). Cooling the yeast will slow the activity, but you don’t want it to stop, so just remove the heat.

How much sugar did you use in your bucket? And how much fruit? All that plus a Turbo yeast will cause a vigorous ferment even without the heater supercharger.

In the end, when you’ve pulled the product from this endeavour, I doubt your spirit will taste like you hope it does. Aggressive ferments (with Turbo yeasts) usually make better fuel than beverages.

Have fun cleaning up the charcoal stains. They’re a mess to deal with. This lesson is a BIG one and you won’t soon forget it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

666eyes wrote:It’s all a learning curve I suppose... I made my wash before I found this site I was looking for recipes in the wrong places!!
I will use one next that is tryed and tested!!
It’s still bubbling pretty hard is there anything I can do?
I’m going to leave it fermenting hopefully no more explosions..
This misses should come around and start talking to me soon.
I was lucky to hit this place first and still made mistakes. It's all a learn process. reading limits the losses.

AC
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Take a gallon or so out and put it in the fridge. The cold will slow the ferment down on that gallon and give you some headspace for your cap to form in the primary. Punch it down daily or twice daily. Add the gallone back in once it settles down. As already stated - you don’t need the charcoal so you can remove that from your developing protocol and if you were using it you wouldn’t use it in fermentation. You would probably filter either low wines through it or new make.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

Cheers guys!!
I put in 7kg sugar
1200g de piped cherry’s
400g raspberry
125g blueberrys
72g still spirit vodka yeast ( not turbo)
130g turbo carbon clean I said to go in after yeast!
All roped up to 25l
And Iv keepers it at 25c

Iv just tasted on my finger taste really nice and fruity actually. Still very sweet tho.
Iv just give it a light stirring and I’m not going to put the bung back on although it has a hole in it to release co2 don’t seem big enough.
Iv put some paper tool over the hole loosely so if anything bubbles up it will catch its.
See what happens!!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

666eyes wrote:...I put in 7kg sugar
50% more sugar than needed in a 25 liter wash. 5kg would have been the correct amount. As a result, you’ve got a syrupy wash here and that makes it hard for the yeast to ferment dry (to finish).
666eyes wrote:...
1200g de piped cherry’s
400g raspberry
125g blueberrys
That’s 2.725 kg. of fruit too...in a 25 liter wash...it’s more than enough, especially considering the sugar syrup you’ve already got.
666eyes wrote:...72g still spirit vodka yeast (not turbo)
That’s 3 times the amount of yeast needed for a 25 liter ferment. And more is not always better. Even though it may not be a “turbo” yeast, with the amount of yeast you pitched, it’ll produce congeners just the same as if it were.
666eyes wrote:...130g turbo carbon clean...See what happens!!
Well, I think you’ve already seen “what will happen”, and that’s why you opened this thread to begin with....”Help!!!”.

Now, if you really want help...then heed the advice shared with you already. And above all....read and learn so you won’t end up in this sticky mess again.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

still_stirrin wrote:
666eyes wrote:...72g still spirit vodka yeast (not turbo)
That’s 3 times the amount of yeast needed for a 25 liter ferment. And more is not always better. Even though it may not be a “turbo” yeast, with the amount of yeast you pitched, it’ll produce congeners just the same as if it were.
Yes it's turbo yeast. Doesn't always say 'turbo' on the label, but you can tell from the crappy advice (waay too much sugar) and the need for the carbon crap to soak up the off flavours.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yeah funny they say to use that amount of sugar for a Vodka .
Not too late to rush out and buy another fermenter . Tip half into it and top them both up with water .
Happy yeast better booze
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Seems you pissed off the devil?

Some good advices here. I think easiest is the advice to buy another fermenter and dilute the ferment.

And why use charcoal in a ferment with fruit? Charcoal is supposed to take out flavours, but fruit is supposed to add flavours.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Kareltje wrote:Seems you pissed off the devil?

Some good advices here. I think easiest is the advice to buy another fermenter and dilute the ferment.

And why use charcoal in a ferment with fruit? Charcoal is supposed to take out flavours, but fruit is supposed to add flavours.
+1

OVZ
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

I guess you snapped the lid tight :)
Rookie error :lolno:
Yeast transform sugars into alcohol and Co2.
Pressure built up and mash went thru the hole for the heater wire ( what you get on your ceiling ), but pressure was so high that it popped out the lid too.

I had kind of same trouble once with a beer. It was so vigorous that it pushed out the air lock and repainted the ceiling.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

this is great pic btw - ;)

I don't think the charcoal in the primary is going to do much but you'll also need some carboy's or something to help clear it. What do you have to run it in?

Cheers and be safe !
-j

————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Hey 666eyes,
That's prob going to be a great learning experience, maybe you can run that as a cleaning run. Please read the tried and true recipes here, hell just do a lot of reading here and I'm sure that your next ferment will turn out 100% better than what you just did.

OVZ
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

You're missing an airlock! The hole in the lid is for a airlock, not the heater cord. Your bucket needs to vent out the CO2 produced by the yeast.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Air lock is often when you don't want nasties on a long fermentation period.
For under 72h I just put the lid losely on and have always been fine.
For periods of over 3 weeks, I put some vodka in the airlock kills the beasties wanting to enter the container
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Just a couple of thoughts from a N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B trying to learn from other's mistakes.
Best advice is, as has been suggested, is go to Tried and True Recipes and find one you like.
More important that the recipe is the instructions. Most of these recipes have been SUCCESSFULLY tried for over 5 years and for the unsuccessful attempts, you have expert answers to their questions. Pretty hard to screw them up, IMPOSSIBLE if you follow it exactly. :)

For your predicament , have you made a sacrifice run yet? If not, I believe you have your sacrifice.

As far as advice on a larger fermenter, I got this 20 gallon bin at Target for $7.00.
Sterilite 20 Gallon.jpg
Sterilite 20 Gallon.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
I like the shorter shape to put on the counter and not have to bend over and in.

Also a 48 quart/45 liter cooler about $15 to maintain heat of the mash.
Jimbos Mash.jpg
Maybe put your mash in there and add some water. Close the lid and forget about your pressure. I filled to the top and let it sit for a week. 3 times.
The Pro's can tell you how to add water up to the best OG.
Run off enough for your sacrifice and try a run with the rest.
Good Luck!
:wtf:
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

Some great info guys I spend most of my day (after cleaning up walls and ceiling ) reading going through the links and reading the post and then there links and there post and ther links... you get it!! And I enjoyed it woke up this morning and can’t remember any of it ha ha..

Everything seems ok today I left the lid open a bit last night and today and it calmed down, must just be the pressure at the beginning was to much for the little hole.(although I was sold that bucket with the heater they are meant for each other)

I did actually follow a recipe from another site that I found before this one... won’t be going back!!

There really is so much info to take in/ digest and then put into practice! There is a lot of information that contradicts what others say.

My plan is to keep reading and run this charcoal bomb as soon as it’s ready !! See what happens!!
I got stuck on the recipe tried and tested last night I think Iv got the next 5 runs sorted ha ha.
Thanks again guys!!
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Yes, just sit the lid loosely on top of the bucket, should be fine. You can lay a tea towel over the lid just to be sure.
I did a bunch of fermentations like this and never had a single infection.
Now I use a conical fermenter, so it's a bit different ;)

I saw some using activated carbon, but mainly to try to remove off flavors during fermentation.
I think it's best to still and then cut to 80 proof before filtering on activated carbon is you are making neutral.

TDick some plastics are bad with food, especially some storage plastics. They also give a bad taste to the mash.