Using Mead Knowledge For Sugar Wash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Using Mead Knowledge For Sugar Wash

Post by StillerBoy »

shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 am Here's a a read for Ya
https://www.morebeer.com/category/wort- ... of%20yeast
That link is for making beer.. and it's a good link if you are making beer, but I'm not making beer.. I'm into making a wash for alcohol.. I'm not into drinking the wash..

I do understand the principal behind it, as it the same as making wine which I do llots of, as oxygen is an enemy to the finish product.. but doing a wash is a different animal all together..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:49 am "I don't know where you got that price on Fermaid"
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products ... 7212677164
Here's what I use and buy it from.. yeah it's not the Scott brand which cost the double the price, but does the same job..
https://www.brewersdirect.com/product/yeast-energizer/

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 am
I never encounted an issue with aerating at any stage during the fermenation, nor experience any decrease in production..

Mars

Acetobacter bacteria like an aerobic environment
They do a great job of converting ethanol into vinegar :wink:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:49 am Here's what I use and buy it from.. yeah it's not the Scott brand which cost the double the price, but does the same job..
https://www.brewersdirect.com/product/yeast-energizer/

Mars
Your partly right, It do's work good.
Almost as good as a "yeast bomb" made with bakers yeast that was alive and healthy before being boiled to death
Your "yeast energizer" isn't Fermaid O
It contains inorganic DAP

Product description

A blend of diammonium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, yeast hulls and vitamin B complex. Use a 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in wine to stimulate fermentation. Use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon in beer to revive a slow or stuck fermentation. Yeast energizer also works well in meads and honey brews to help create a complete fermentation.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 am Acetobacter bacteria like an aerobic environment
They do a great job of converting ethanol into vinegar
Yeah for someone thinking of going into the vinegar business..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 am Your "yeast energizer" isn't Fermaid O
Like I stated, it's not the Scott brand and pay twice the price.. plus I don't buy into this organic stuff, be in this ingredient or in food stuff.. there is no such thing as organic product in this world, as every item and human is contaminated with heavy metals..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:02 pm
shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 am Acetobacter bacteria like an aerobic environment
They do a great job of converting ethanol into vinegar
Yeah for someone thinking of going into the vinegar business..

Mars
Try aerating at just any old stage during the fermenation
And you will be in the vinegar business :lol:
DianaGin
Novice

Post by DianaGin »

[/quote]

Try aerating at just any old stage during the fermenation
And you will be in the vinegar business :lol:
[/quote]

This is where I get totally confused.
I did a sugarwash aka Birdwatchers recipe I found on this forum and in the instructions he said to stir the wash daily for the first 3 days.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

DianaGin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:59 pm This is where I get totally confused.
I did a sugarwash aka Birdwatchers recipe I found on this forum and in the instructions he said to stir the wash daily for the first 3 days.
Disregard Shady's quote, as he trying to pull my leg on aerating.. but note that there is a different between aerating and stirring, not the same behavior result..

There is really no issue in a slow stir for a Ph adjust, nor is the there an issue in degassing after the ferment has finished, as finished meaning that the wash SG is at .990..

There is no need to stir the wash on a daily basic.. after the Ph adjust are done with, let the wash do it thing.. if the process was done properly, it should be done in a few days.. done properly means, the Ph were checked and adjusted at the 12 and 24 hrs, and the fermentation temp was maintain at a stable temp..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Stirring is gently mixing the wash.
To keep the ingredients from settling to the bottom.

Aerating is much more aggressive and meant to mix in oxygen.
This is beneficial at the very beginning of a fermentation.
The scientific reason is over my head, but the yeast seem to get a better start.
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

Corsaire wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:35 am What does fermaid o taste like? I never used the stuff, maybe there's that and yeast flavor in your wash?
Just curious.
100% that the flavor I'm getting is the yeast. The yeast I used has a fruity character and it comes through.

As to what Fermaid O tastes like? I really can't say. I think it "gets out of the way" after it's consumed by the living yeast. In contrast to DAP which I could smell and taste and which I didn't like at all. Although I will say that Fermaid O smells pretty bad IMO when it's in the bag. :)
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

StillerBoy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:07 pm
shadylane wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 am Your "yeast energizer" isn't Fermaid O
Like I stated, it's not the Scott brand and pay twice the price.. plus I don't buy into this organic stuff, be in this ingredient or in food stuff.. there is no such thing as organic product in this world, as every item and human is contaminated with heavy metals..

Mars
II don't care that the "O" stands for organic. I care that when I switched from Fermaid K and DAP to straight Fermiad O, I got a better end product. Back in the 90's the government stripped the "Organic" designation of any meaning so you're right, it basically isn't worth the ink used to print the logo. But you can't argue with results.

NOTE: So far, the only result I can talk about is this ONE time I've made the sugar wash. It's so good right now, I could almost clarify it, bottle it and drink it as is. Will that translate into the distillate being better? We shall see. Because, frankly, if it tastes the same as if I had slammed it with Turbo yeast and been done in three days, why go to all the trouble?

I'm still a novice at this distilling thing, so I'm learning and posting so that other novices might learn from my mistakes and successes.
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

OK! I was busy so I didn't get to do anything yesterday, but just took a measurement and I am at .990 so it's time to cold crash for a day or two to get most of the yeast to drop out.

Final gravity... .990
Final pH... 3.65 !!! I have to check if my pH meter is still working. That seems too low for the very good result.
Final approximate ABV 12%

Impressions... still very floral and clean smelling. I can feel the booze when I take a sip, but the only thing I taste is the yeast and a little bitter from the Co2.

Overall it was trouble free, very forgiving of the wild ambient temperature fluctuations (70F to over 80F at night) and required very little in terms of babysitting. I am curious to see how the distillate turns out once I cold crash and clear with Super Kleer. I only have a pot still so I plan to do a stripping run followed by a spirit run. I'm also looking at the 5x pot still vodka method.

I will also be setting aside about 200ml of the hearts to compare with the result of a turbo yeast "balls to the wall" 3 day sugar wash later on. But I will for sure be scaling this up to the full 14 gallon capacity of my two fermenters right away.
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

Just came back from a week dropping the kids off at college "Go Gators!" and "Go Seminoles!" They are twins and one is at UF and the other at FSU.

The sugar wash has dropped pretty much perfectly clear and I'll be damned if I could drink it as is! It has a taste somewhere between pinot grigiot and chardonnay. Which surprised me. First plain sugar wash! I'll be doing a strip as soon as I have a couple of hours free followed by a spirit run when I can get an afternoon to let it go low and slow.

Anyone else taste a sugar wash and though about just putting some ice in it and having a few glasses?