Is mash suppose to smell bad?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Is mash suppose to smell bad?

Postby Guy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:07 pm

I've had my simple sugar mash going for a couple of days now. When I open it up a bit and put my nose over it the stuff smells pretty bad. Granted I have never had much of a taste for alcohol but is it suppose to smell nasty like this?
Guy
Novice

well

Postby Uncle Jesse » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:10 pm

never made a sugar mash...but no mash smells good in my opinion. i've sort of acquired an appreciation for a sour corn mash, but i'm sure it's just my weird affectations.
stilldrinkin.com, realmccoymoonshinestills.com, and rkhelp.com are rip-off artists. Beware before you buy.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:07 pm

yeah, i got mine going on sence monday and it doesnt smell too bad. Right now it doesnt really stink, it only smells like the molasses i put in but with an alocholic tent to it, i think it smells pretty good.

Re: well

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:33 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:never made a sugar mash...but no mash smells good in my opinion. i've sort of acquired an appreciation for a sour corn mash, but i'm sure it's just my weird affectations.

Thanks, I was afraid I had messed something up

Postby AkCoyote » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 pm

I love the smell of about any wash but rice. It stinks. Tastes sour and generally makes you want to just toss it. But damn if it isn't GOOD when double distilled in a pot still! :D

AkCoyote
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Postby pangea » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:43 pm

If it doesn't smell like sour stinky feet, you've messed up.
pangea

Postby linw » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:48 pm

I don't know what you class as a bad smell but a sugar mash doesn't smell 'bad' or 'off' to me. It doesn't have much of a smell at all, actually. Just a bit of a sour alcohol smell that is not offensive.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
linw
Bootlegger

Postby Backwoods » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:10 am

I usually like the smell of my mashes, but I have had 2 now that smelled down right funky. But they stilled out to some good sippin stuff. :wink:
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper
Backwoods
Novice

Return to Mashing and Fermenting