first rum

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

sdpoage
Bootlegger

first rum

Post by sdpoage »

Just made my first gen rum. Used 4lbs dark brown sugar, 2 lbs light brown sugar, and 4 lbs of regular sugar also 12 oz of molasses.pitched 14 grams red star. Quick rise yeast. Can't wait to run 2nd gen from dunder to see if the rum is better. Anyhow probably shouldn't post after half a liter of whisky made at home but what the hell. Hope this works like the whiskey gens.
You know your an alcoholic when you have your own still, mash your own grain and distill your own likker, but you don't care!!! A.A. is for quitters.

The only laws worth breaking are the ones that don't make sense!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: first rum

Post by Bigbob »

Sure you can post, it's your FIRST rum! Good luck I'm hoping to try rum also but I guess I'm going to have to buy more fermatation buckets! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Sungy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sungy »

I love my "Hook rum". Great recipe from the tried and true section. Take some wood sticks that have been wrapped in foil and baked in the oven for 3 hours at 415f and place in your spirit for a few months and see what you think. Leave some white and age for a month.....some fine drink to be had both ways.
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Thought I would try oak sticks at 380 for two hours and then charred. Also going to add a vanilla bean, cinnamon bark, and some nutmeg for a few months.
You know your an alcoholic when you have your own still, mash your own grain and distill your own likker, but you don't care!!! A.A. is for quitters.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

sdpoage wrote:Thought I would try oak sticks at 380 for two hours and then charred. Also going to add a vanilla bean, cinnamon bark, and some nutmeg for a few months.
i'm with ya on the lower temp. i have got acrid flavours from higher and 380 seems pretty magical. heavier char will give over more color faster. there is a great thread on this http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=48480
go easy and quick with the cinnamon Mr.P's firepiss is something to read before getting carried away with time or quantity
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=25616
vanilla bean for sure, and nutmeg...well i'm gonna have to try it now! i've heard allspice too hmmm :think:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

I'm not going to use but a few chips from the cinnamon. Just enough for a hint of it. Don't want it to be hot, just spiced a little.

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

And here's the oak toasting chart for you guys!
Oak toasting chart.jpg
tp
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

T-Pee wrote:And here's the oak toasting chart for you guys!
Oak toasting chart.jpg
tp
Thanks TP! That explains why I like it best between 350-400...usually 375...vanilla notes are my fav!

Did hookrum myself. Tossed in some ex-bourbon barrel toasted and charred, and raisins and vanilla bean. Don't care for rum, but this got me starting a dunder pit now!
Axdelmar
Novice

Post by Axdelmar »

Right on TIME TP.....was just reading up on oaking.....awesome!!!! I love you guys!!! Sure you all didn't ride with Jesse James? Did you? Naaaaaa....
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Thanks for the chart in this post. Couldn't get it to post here myself, but had already seen it. Can't wait to start the second batch with the dunder. Betting it will be better just like my sm whiskey

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Can one use just dark brown sugar, nutrients and yeast for rum? I'm having a pain of a time sourcing molasses locally.

tp
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i did one once with demerara. it wasn't very rummy rum, but still had a bit of flavour. i also did one with one 500mL molasses added to the demerara sugar wash, and it had good flavour...so expensive grocery store molasses can be a vible option.
feed store molasses has a great price, but i had so much i ended up using too much and got too much flavour...double distilled and six months on ex-bourbon from that run and it's starting to mellow into a smooth sippin rum however...

my next one i'm going back to demerara, 500mL fancy molasses, a boiled mashed potato- (water, dirt and all), a Tbsp of lemon juice and well water with fleishman's...seems to have been my best ferment with rum so far...

now i drink for evil.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I had bought a 5g pail of feed store molasses yesterday and was so happy to find it that I didn't look at the label first. Sulphur, preservatives, etc. etc. It went right back today and that's why I asked about the brown sugar. Gotta make a run south so maybe someone along the way will have something I can use. :problem:

tp
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Ask the feed store to order you unsulfered.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

sdpoage wrote:Ask the feed store to order you unsulfered.
yep thats what the wife asked for...unsulphered to make sweetfeed for her nags. yep that's it. don't know why it matters...damn horses eat better than i do.
(the gist of the conversation when i ordered it)
shoulda got :clap: for the performance!

now i drink for evil.
Sungy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sungy »

HDNB wrote:
sdpoage wrote:Ask the feed store to order you unsulfered.
yep thats what the wife asked for...unsulphered to make sweetfeed for her nags. yep that's it. don't know why it matters...damn horses eat better than i do.
(the gist of the conversation when i ordered it)
shoulda got :clap: for the performance!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dam near coughed up a lung on that one.
Fifer59
Novice

Post by Fifer59 »

I laid down my first molasses based rum wash on Sunday night - 12l molasses, 4kg demerarra sugar, 150gms nutrient and 150gms bakers yeast brought up to 60 litres.

Initial SG was 1.12 and on Monday it was bubbling like a good'un. Checked tonight - and it seems to be done - SG is 1.04, which should equate to about 10.5% ABV - but you know what - I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

Does anyone know if this is his normal for a molasses wash?.

Was planning on cooking it this weekend, so still time to fix it if necessary - lol.

Thanks guys.
Fifer

frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Molasses is a quick fermenter and doesn't show an accurate reading on the hydrometer due to all of the unfermentables in it.
I had to use a conversion table 'cause I don't know liters into gallons, but 12l of molasses in a 60l wash sounds like a lot of molasses.
Not that it will be bad, just a full flavored rum.
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Been 6 days now and still bubblin strong. Doesn't have a cap though. Should I be worried?

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

sdpoage wrote:Been 6 days now and still bubblin strong. Doesn't have a cap though. Should I be worried?
What is the temp, pH? Did you use nutrients? DAP?
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Ambient temp is around 75. Don't have a way to measure pH yet. Did use 1 tbls of dap.

sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

OK so running the rum now. I know patience is a virtue, but my virtues go out the window while running the still. But thankfully a smell and a sip from every half pint after the heads keeps me content. Can't wait till after aging.....

Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Remember "patience is a virtue" :angel: :clap:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Here's a quick question. If I use the hot dunder to kill off the yeast in a previous ferment, wouldn't it then be nutrient for new yeast???

T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Yes.

tp
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Thank you.

sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

OK so its been a few weeks since I started aging this rum. Put a little to much nutmeg in with other spices. That's OK though because I'm going to add next batch to it. Took a little taste and it wasn't bad. Can't wait till I blend the next run with it.

iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

T-Pee wrote:And here's the oak toasting chart for you guys!
Oak toasting chart.jpg
tp

I have a hook and a Birdwatchers bubbeling. I was wundering if there was a way to figure that out with the oaking.
For molasses check around for a wholesaler for bakery’s or bulk food stores. I checked Costco and they don’t carry molasses in Canada anyways.

Thanx T-Pee for the chart.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

I won't take credit for the chart. Tater posted it back in '09 and it's great to use in these discussions. I made sure it stayed easy to find. :thumbup:

tp
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Finally broke down and tasted the first batch. Not as rummy as I would have liked, but that's OK. The nutmeg did tone down after filtering it to another barrel that was used for whiskey. Will add the second batch to the same barrel after a week with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Then its back to waiting. Damn I hate waiting.