Series of successful firsts

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Series of successful firsts

Post by Kegg_jam »

Ok, so I wasn't sure how to title this, but from a novices view I'm stoked to share some of my success's in the past couple of weeks.

First the modified router speed controller for electric heat control. No more cycling and awesome fine control of drip rate.
Kind of hard on my cheep hot plate though.

Second the Liebig. I love this. Had it built for a couple of weeks but finally got around to putting it through it's cleaning run and sac run. Nice and compact. Recirculating water with a fountain pump. Can also hook up to my faucet if needed. About 34" long and knocks down all I throw at it. Highly recommended to other beginners over worm in a bucket.

Third, the everlasting gasket. A bit of work up front but beats the heck out of cleaning up flour paste. I made a giant one for the lid to my stock pot. obviously flour paste works fine but it's such a drag to clean up.

Lastly since my hot plate wasn't handling the constant current being thrown at it. I decided to install a heating element internally in my 5 gallon SS stock pot. Installed a bolt in universal element. 4500w at 220v. I'm only running at 120v so it's only around 1100w or so. Still beats the hot plate in every way possible. Much more quiet too. Also ended up making a ptfe gasket for it as well. Just got done a cleaning run on it. Will be doing a sac run soon.

Anyway, the advice and info on this forum is top notch. Thanks for all the help.

Next up will probably be a keg boiler instead of the stock pots. Then on to a reflux head of some type. Still checking out my options on that.

Cheers!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Series of successful firsts

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Congratulations - sounds like you're making great progress. I went through much the same process with my 5 gallon stock pot still. One thing I learned about those everlasting PTFE gaskets is - make them a little larger in outside diameter than you need. They seem to shrink after a few uses. I also found that it makes life easier if you sandwich the gasket between a couple of pieces of plywood when storing it. That way it will lay flat on the edge of the stock pot and makes set up a hell of a lot easier. Use spring clamps to hold it tight between the plywood panels.

What are you planning to run in it?

Good luck, have fun and stay safe.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I've been having really good results with the All Bran recipe and variations of it. The old setup was working ok too but now seemed liked a good time to make some changes. Old rig was a 3 gallon stock pot and a 3/8" worm in 5 gallon bucket. When I changed to the 5 gallon pot my hot plate was literally melting the knobs off trying to keep up. So instead of spending money on a better hot plate I figured an internal element would be cheaper and probably work better.

Gave the sweet feed a try but the feed I got must not be a good choice. Southern states textured. Smells like crap and doesn't taste or smell very good distilled either. Maybe a second pass would help but I decided to make this my sac run on the new additions.

Have a corn flakes recipe should be done next week.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I just realized this should of went under "My First..." Heading. Oops.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Moved it to "My First .....".
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Been contemplating a reflux column for a while now. Finally got all the copper bits rounded up and ready to get down to business. Had some 1-1/2" parts already so thought I'd stick with that. Looking at a moveable condenser to start with. If that doesn't work out it will be easy enough to convert to a mini-boka. Got the coil wound tonight and everthing dry fit. Hoping to start soldering tomorrow night.

This hobby is way to addicting.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Whoo hoo! Water run, vinegar run, sac run done.

Making 90% or a little less if I push it, Stil learning to drive this puppy but so far so good.

Thanks DAD for the pointers.

So the column is a shorty 30" about 28" packed then a T-fitting and another 12 or so inches for the moveable 8" condenser.

Looking forward to doing some tweaking. definitly a different animal than the previous pot still configuration. Which I can easily go back to with this configuration.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Sounds like you got it running pretty good. Post up some pictures of the new rig!
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

:clap: I think I see wings sprouting out the back of keg..... I think you are about ready to fly. :clap:
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Ok, here are some pics

Didn't have enough room in the shop to set it up all the way. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

2 different pots 3 gallon or 5 gallon. Both fitted with 1.5" fitting for column and a little thermo port. (I know, ditch the thermometer). I feel better with it. so it stays.

Eventually going to get sanitary clamps but for now it is press fitted with ptfe. The head is easily converted to pot still mode for stripping or CCVM for reflux.

Open for constructive criticism.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025861.758176.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025854.391431.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025843.008438.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025834.941526.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025826.258128.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025796.024939.jpg
Last edited by Kegg_jam on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025953.374873.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025947.124922.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025940.241367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025932.408296.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025924.474851.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417025917.008147.jpg
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Started my first birdwatchers and UJSSM.

Also hit my first 94%. Still waiting on it to air out.