First SF sucess

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

drunkensailor68
Novice

First SF sucess

Post by drunkensailor68 »

Thanks to everyone who helpdr with fine tuning my first still and for encouraging me along with my first wash. It didn't go exactly according to plan but all in all a SUCESS. Started a little too late and just as the hearts were getting good I had to shut down. Left everything as is and started again the next day. I took 8oz fores the first day (51/2 gal wash) and 3 more on the restart just to be safe. I started collecting at 75 abv the first day and after the restart it quickly went to tails and the abv dropped to 40% quickly so I shut down and used half of the backset to start a second gen. I feel sure that I would have got more hearts if I didn't have to shut down. That's OK, still ended up with 3 quarts to blend. although Ive been sipping on one of the pints of hearts and it may not make it to the blending pot :D
Last edited by drunkensailor68 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First SF sucess

Post by ranger_ric »

DS,
Be sure and put back some of your first run to try in a couple of years. To remind yourself of how far you have come. Hide it in the back of your closet...
Congratulations. Sure is fun aint it...
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
drunkensailor68
Novice

Post by drunkensailor68 »

Good idea Ranger, If I can keep my friends shaky little hands off of it.
Lessons learned;
Be sure to clear the whole day and unplug the phone so I don't get talked into doing something that I have to shutdown for, and
use smaller collection glasses
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

drunkensailor68 wrote:Good idea Ranger, If I can keep my friends shaky little hands off of it.
Lessons learned;
Be sure to clear the whole day and unplug the phone so I don't get talked into doing something that I have to shutdown for, and
use smaller collection glasses
Wise choices , grasshopper :thumbup: :)
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Listen to Ranger ric. My very firs batch was a corn and barley AG and I thought it tasted like crap but saved 1 bottle. The rest went into an all feints run a month or so later. That bottle is a couple of years old now and it is really good. It is amazing what a little oak and time will do for your whiskey. Congratulations on your work.
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ranger_ric wrote:DS,
Be sure and put back some of your first run to try in a couple of years. To remind yourself of how far you have come. Hide it in the back of your closet...
Congratulations. Sure is fun aint it...

yep I got some rum that was so shit when I first made it. put it on oak chips and forgot about it. I still have that jar. not great but not terribl either. also have one jar of my first all grain. its over a year old. unbelievable at this point. I don't even drink it. just put enough on my lips to taste it. I also am now saving a small 200ml of every batch white to compare to after oaking the same time. also take notes on your recipes