First Grain

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Muffin Man
Novice

First Grain

Post by Muffin Man »

Trying my hand at an AG. 20lbs rye, 10lbs cracked (then milled again) corn, and 10lbs barley. Using a non turbo whiskey yeast a buddy told me about. I am fermenting on the grain so will see how that goes. This is all in a 40 gallon barrel. Figure 3 days or so for the ferment, 1 day to pull liquid into carboy or bucket, 2 days to let sediment settle and another day to siphon clear liquid off for the run. Even with that I'll filter well just to make sure I don't scorch. So next weekend I know what I'll be doing. I have a 5 gallon pot so many runs to get through this batch.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First Grain

Post by still_stirrin »

Sounds like a spicy brew. I think 3 days for the ferment is optimistic. Twice that is more realistic. But, ymmv.

Be safe. Be responsible. And be discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

Always optimistic but no rush. If it takes a week, it can have it. I have other honey-do's to keep me occupied.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

With an AG, it can take 2 or 3 weeks as sometimes the enzymes continue to work on the starch while it ferments.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Are any of the grains malted? Or are you using liquid enzymes for conversion?
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

corene1 wrote:Are any of the grains malted? Or are you using liquid enzymes for conversion?
The rye and barley were malted.
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

S-Cackalacky wrote:With an AG, it can take 2 or 3 weeks as sometimes the enzymes continue to work on the starch while it ferments.
Yeah and I am good with that. Maybe the couple day statement was very optimistic but hey can't blame me for trying. When it's done, it's done, then we run.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

It took a little getting use to for me. I was puzzled when I started doing AG ferments and it took 2 or 3 weeks. I had been doing sugarheads (SF & UJ) and my ferments were sometimes finished in as little as 3 days. I'm using liquid enzymes - don't know if that makes a difference.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

Took a reading almost a week on and SpGr is 0.999 temperature adjusted. Now, maybe I am missing something since this is my first AG. Initial reading was 1.120 that is telling me i should be around 15%+ and I know that isnt right. Its only been a week.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

how much water in your recipe? from my calculation with your grain bill, to hit a 1.12 you would only have about 9.5 gallons. maybe the 1.12 was a typo.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Yikes, I hope you didnt target 1.12. Thats WAY too high for a good AG. Ive found 1.065 to be a sweet spot, making an 8% mash. I second firewaters question, how much water in that recipe?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

Yeah, fat fingered that one writing it I guess. I have 30 +/- gallons of water. Well, if nothing else from this I learned not to write my notes like a doctor writes a prescription. I guess Ill make a spreadsheet on the computer since F7 is my friend there.

so with that correction, any help? All looking good still or not so much? It looks like it is doing what needs to be done and it smells like it should. Just worried about the reading after a week.
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

OK, looked over the notes and see 1.120 wasnt correct for this one. I started with a 1.046 and after a week am sitting around a 0.999 with a potential ABV of 6.17 to date. I think I am looking OK so far.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Regardless of water, SG, OG, or anything else, if you're FG is under 1.0 it's time to run it!!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

1.047 for 30 gal in 40 lbs is really good. 6.17% is a fine ferment for AG, no problems there. With 60 lbs in 30 gal and good efficient mash you should hit 1.060-1.065

run it!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

Thanks all. :thumbup: I appreciate the help on this one. Might try for an all day Sunday run or hold until I have another day or two to get through it. With a 5gal boiler, this will take me some time.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

WOW! Those are some really good numbers. I have been working on AG's for a while now and have never achieved that efficient of a conversion. Really good for the first time doing one. If I calculate correctly that is right at 100% conversion for that grain bill and amount of water. I would really like to see your mashing protocol for getting those kind of results. Congratulations!
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

corene1 wrote:WOW! Those are some really good numbers. I have been working on AG's for a while now and have never achieved that efficient of a conversion. Really good for the first time doing one. If I calculate correctly that is right at 100% conversion for that grain bill and amount of water. I would really like to see your mashing protocol for getting those kind of results. Congratulations!
Hey Corene1, no problem. I am transferring 5 gallons now and will filter and run maybe tonight. Once I get through this first 4 or 5 gallons, I will write a bit more and send it to you.
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

I pulled off 4 gallons last night and am letting it sit to settle the floaters. I will run it through once tonight (tasting it of course since it is the first AG) and then toss what comes out in a carboy until I run enough to fill the 5 gal boiler.

Mashing protocol was pretty flexible. I went into this just a first timer would have. Figured out what I wanted in it, cleaned all my stuff and let the games begin.

Started with 20lb malted rye. Took 10 lb or so and brought it up to 200 degrees, held it there for 25 minutes or so stirring constantly. Dumped into 40 gallon barrel.
Took 5 lb of the cracked and re-cracked (milled again) corn and brought it up to 175 degrees, held it there for 25 minutes or so stirring constantly. Dumped it in the barrel. Added the other 5lb of corn to barrel.
Took the last grain, distillers barley and at about 175 degree added 5 lbs of it. Again, held it there for 25 minutes or so stirring constantly and did with it as the others...dumped it in the bucket. Added the last 5lbs of the barley as well.

Added another 20 gallons of boiling water to barrel to bring my water total to around 30 gallons in the barrel along with the 40lbs of grain. When temp came down in the barrel to around 150-155 I added 2oz of amylase. Man, the temp stayed high for a long time (duh, i know) so I waited until the next morning, maybe 9 or so hours until I pitched the yeast. I used quite a bit of yeast. OG was right around 1.046 and as of last night I am for the last 2 days or so sitting at 0.999.

I know my measurements or times are a little rough and many of you are probably cringing at the process but hey, if it works it works. Ill give you the good or bad news any day now. Fingers crossed we will see how it goes. Thanks for hanging in there with me and for the great help as always.

Semper Fi
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

That is a pretty wild mashing protocol right there. The malted rye at 200 degrees pretty much denatured all it's enzymes. The 5 pounds of corn at 175 for 25 minutes seems like a very low cooking temperature for it as well as a very short time of cooking, then the rest of the corn just being dumped into the barrel would not get much starch extraction. The malted barley at 175 denatured the enzymes also. Thank goodness you had the liquid enzymes but at 150 to 155 you will more than likely get a lot of unfermentable sugars. When you took your starting gravity reading , did you use the cleared liquid that forms on top of the mash? If it was a cloudy sample your hydrometer will give you a false reading. Did your mash taste sweet before you pitched the yeast? With a finish of .999 it should have a sour taste now and should be clear liquid above the grain bed. I will be very curious to see how this turns out when distilled.
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

Yeah, thats kinda what I thought, jacked that one up from the get go but after running 4 gallons last night, it isnt all that bad. Stripping run had a reading of 140 proof at the get go and I pulled off 2/3 of a gallon down to abut 20%. The OG was a reading I took from the liquid once all was said and done. I pulled off a pitcher worth and checked it. Next batch I do will be a lot smoother than this one. First one I am looking at as a learning experience and that is exactly what it was.

The mash at the start was a little sweet and now is deffinately sour. The liquid right below a small cap is pretty cloudy but that may just be the color. Either way, next one will be much better.
Muffin Man
Novice

Post by Muffin Man »

Ended with 3.5 gallon off stripping runs. Proofed to 40 and am doing spirit run now. Holding steady at 170. Love it. Great smell and I know flavor is there.