First spirit run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

spirit run dave
Novice

First spirit run

Post by spirit run dave »

Finally, after six months reading,talking to TB reading some more listening to every tip at truckorama I achieved my first spirit run.air out for a day and a half blended in all my cuts to where I judge them to be.now I have a quart of master crafted distilled spirit lol with being so nervous I needed a second opinion.I called tb and he invited me over to begin a taste test.tb gave me a thumbs up,those words from him was like winning a gold metal.Thanks to him and everyone here I'm going to sip on my first batch of ujssm
All things can be worked on...but you can't fix stupid!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First spirit run

Post by still_stirrin »

:thumbup:

:clap:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Well he has more than a quart of spirit run . He brought a quart to my house for sampling . 3 out of 4 people thought he had done a fine job . He was his own worst critic . I got him to sign it and I'm putting it in the ageing cellar for the next few months . I'll let him try it again after some time and see if he doesn't develop a higher opinion of his skills .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Atta boy. It's s great freakin feeling. This is a major moment. You'll know the next one when you get there.

For now, enjoy, and rejoice in having TB as a guide. The rest would kill to have that type of tutor.

Cheers :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Way to go Dave! :thumbup: :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Shine on Dave!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Having someone to go to for a second opinion is GOLD! I wish I had someone I could have visited for a quick question or a "here taste this" or a "gimme that likker so you don't drink it" :mrgreen:

I am hoping the senate/house bills pass soon and maybe we can come out of the dark!

Congrats Dave!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Congrats dave,

Tb is a wealth of info and are lucky to have him close. It took me almost 2 and half years stilling on my own before i met anyother members to sample what i made

im sure the cuts seminar with everyone at truckorama helped with your cuts i would assume

it only gets better from here

cheers
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Rager , he took that cuts seminar to heart . Would that I had had that benefit when I did my first spirit run . I've seen positive results from both gatherings I've attended .
>Don't nunya pump me up as being 'all that much'. I'm just a product of what I learned here . Thank goodness I camped out here instead of with 'Moonshiners' .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

I think I can remember my first run ..Numbered all jars with tight cuts for awhile.
It is a super-selfgratifying happiness that overwhelms you, especially after good reviews from peers or mentors. :thumbup:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Congrats, Dave, that first bottle is a real milestone!
I'm gonna start calling you Spirit Run Dave. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Congrats, Dave, that first bottle is a real milestone!
I'm gonna start calling you Spirit Run Dave. :thumbup:
Thus he has been christened . If he's willing to accept the new name perhaps Tater could help in the change .
spirit run dave
Novice

Post by spirit run dave »

Thanks to all with the congrats and thumbs up.the cut seminar was a huge help ,watching everyone's different way of testing.that first bottle is definitely something to be proud of, and I am.it's just amazing how your so nervous not about blowing up or getting caught just did I get my cuts right. CHEERS TO ALL...
All things can be worked on...but you can't fix stupid!
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Hell yeah Dave!
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

Strip run dave wrote:.it's just amazing how your so nervous not about blowing up or getting caught

im more nervous now with a big old pot of oil getting up to temp to fry some chicken or fish than i am with a 40% charge with a spirit run :crazy:
Truckinbutch wrote:
>Don't nunya pump me up as being 'all that much'. I'm just a product of what I learned here . Thank goodness I camped out here instead of with 'Moonshiners' .
TB , your a wise man outside of makin likker. It was a hell of a weekend , and a lot of fun talking and meeting new people from so many different area of the country and world. sitting and listening to what others say is important and will make you a wiser person.

everyone once in a while a new thread will pop up of someone "first" and makes me want to go dig in the back of my closet to try out some of my first runs. at this point they will be 3 and a half years old. and first AG 2.5 years. its crazy that i can keep that stuff around but the good stuff doesnt last that long.

so keep a bottle of your first run so you will always have something to look back on.

and if you keep on making runs , your closet will start to fill and that first bottle will be in the back just like mine and many others

cheers.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

sounds like your learnin well. :thumbup:
nice name change. HDNB has been stuck as a newbe for 3 years hahaha
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder