First Rum...TBC..amberleaf progress :-)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

amberleaf
Novice

First Rum...TBC..amberleaf progress :-)

Post by amberleaf »

Hello all,
About time I get my old bones into gear!
After getting encouragement I've decided to make Rum.
Wich recipe is TBC.
Thinking 25l FV and of the size of the still 4l runs.
The first thing I'll contact my close friend who has the still stored, and get its exact volume it can hold (memory lost :mrgreen: )
And take it from there.
Asking Q's your advice all the way..
Going to slow but Rome wasn't built in a day n all that!
Now onto which recipe and how much volume to do...
Tbc
ATB
Amberleaf
amberleaf
Novice

Re: First Rum...TBC..amberleaf progress :-)

Post by amberleaf »

A quick question for you?
in the buccaneer Bob's recipe is the ingredients in USA volumes, i.e. 3-4 liters blackstrap molasses?
at the mo I have the molasses in 500g jars at the supermarket here in the UK.
still researching cheaper options where to buy.
At least I can afford to stock pile the ingredients and prep the mash til my still gets sorted :thumbup:
sorry for the stupid Q's, I have learning difficulties and as the day goes by my battered brain gets worse :ebiggrin:
ATB
amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Here we go!! More questions.
What size mason jars to buy for my cuts?
ATB
Amber
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I have a 12L still and I collect my cuts in 500ml jars... but I only fill them half full, so about 250ml in each... some people collect in even smaller jars... up to you really, but smaller jars = tighter cuts.

Edit: Also you can use feed grade molasses and still be ok... e.g. http://www.olddairysaddlery.co.uk/naf_m ... AmsK8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Mikey-moo wrote:I have a 12L still and I collect my cuts in 500ml jars... but I only fill them half full, so about 250ml in each... some people collect in even smaller jars... up to you really, but smaller jars = tighter cuts.

Edit: Also you can use feed grade molasses and still be ok... e.g. http://www.olddairysaddlery.co.uk/naf_m ... AmsK8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thx bro,
It makes sence! (Mind I've got little sence haha!)
Should have the size of my still soon, my bro is checking it out.
I've been thinking about the gas-electric thing with the still.
I've got a old single electric hob, do thinking that the size could be just right for it.
It's got 5 settings and all I need it to get the still back and get a cleaning run and work out the hearings settings etc..
Trial n error will be ok with a stripping run but the test will be after that!
If the leccy hob don't cut the mussard plan B...4 ring cooker...what size ring I will use...covering the pot effectively, time and safely.
Off up my loft and uncover my homebrew kit!!! Just need to sauce the mason jars now! Thx so much to replying bro
ATB
Amber
Ps got questions on the recipe I would try!! Lata :-)
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

I've doing a hell of research till my head hurts!!
Thinking I haven't even got my still back...and need to experiment with not only a rum recipe (tried and tested) and them forment it properly, let alone my first stripping run...that for the femintation is succeful.
Am I going into it too deep! Should I just try a recipe on YouTube rum mash...turbo yeast,turbo clear, filtering etc?
Yes I can see your remarks now! Especially using turbo stuff!!
Yes it would appear sub standard in your eyes for the finished product! But isn't it all about experimenting and crawl before I walk!
I'm thinking not coz I'm scared to take a plunge...but if I get a few runs under my belt and
learn everything. I should be in position to up my game and try more complicated recipes and procedures..
WHAT YOU THINK?
For example Buccaner Bob recipe...hard for a beginners or not??

For 3-4 liters blackstrap molasses (3 if it flows like putty at room temperature, 4 if it flows more like syrup) STILL TO SAUCE THE RIGHT MALASSAS TBC

o 2.5 kilos granulated sugar NO PROBLEM WITH THIS

o 2 liters “live” dunder from dunder pit (microbe infected but strained of any solids)OMG THE DUNDER THREAD KILLED MY BRAIN..HAVENT DONE A MASH YET

o 14 liters water (approximate)NO PROBLEMS, APART FROM PH LEVELS

o Juice of 2-3 lemons or limes NO PROBLEMS

o 1 liter yeast trub from previous batch (or substitute 200 grams of yeast in 1 liter of water)CONFUSING NOT DONE A BATCH YET

o 35 grams (4 tbs.) of fresh bakers yeast (or other yeast) NO PROBLEM..I THINK

o 50 cubic centimeters (or 40 grams) of oak, apple wood, pecan wood, etc., in block or dowel formNO PROBLEM NEED TO SAUCE WHERE TO GET IT
I know it's up to me what I do at the end of the day! Just weight the ups n downs carefully...
BTW i did use turbo yeast, clear, filtered, and all the stuff to make vodka and the experience with distilling was a good one..but that was years ago and my memory is gone..
What to do???
I'll fathom it out...slowly.
ATB
Amber
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I've done the Buccaneer Bob rum and had very good results.
No need for dunder in your first batch, simply use the molasses and sugars.

Simple bakers yeast works great, and maybe some yeast nutrient.

It's a good recipe, go for it!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Amber. Seems like you're well down the rabbit hole now... welcome to Wonderland...

You've not used your still in ages so your first run should be to clean it as you said. If you've already bought turbo yeast/carbon/clear then use that to make the cleaning wash. Run it then chuck it away. The turbo stuff is quick. Yes. But it's more complicated than just using bread yeast... and bread yeast makes a better tasting product.

If you've not bought it yet then pleasend don't waste your money. Buy a tub of breast yeast from Tesco and make a batch of Birdwatchers sugar wash. It's much cheaper and just as good for cleaning (make a big batch, do the first run and discard it... do a second/third run etc and keep that product for drinking while you do the rum )

As MCH had said, Buccaneer Bob's is a good recipe to start for rum. Don't worry about the dunder, it's not essential, just make up the volume with water instead.

Good luck matey :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I've done the Buccaneer Bob rum and had very good results.
No need for dunder in your first batch, simply use the molasses and sugars.

Simple bakers yeast works great, and maybe some yeast nutrient.

It's a good recipe, go for it!
What I love about the forum is the advice can boost me and simple problem to yous are difficult for me to process..well I do it slowly as most people lol
I have to warn yous that as the day get longer my thought procees gets harder and I enventually have stop and rest! Before all I've learnt so far going going into mush!!!
There's no disibilty going to get in the way I tell you!
GO FOR IT!!!
Buccaneer Bobs recipe it is!!
Just were to buy MALASSAS...mind I didn't ask when I was in Morrisons yesterday!! Haha!! Found the baker yeast and sugar no probs...but after 2 hrs trying to walk (hobbling around lol) and one handed, and my brain getting tired...I forgot to get my mobile where I wrote my notes!!
It's like a comedy act! Just need a clowns face and a red nose and I'll be set!!!
Btw I take the P out of myself a lot and humour is the best medicine..
Thx again
:-)
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Mikey-moo wrote:Amber. Seems like you're well down the rabbit hole now... welcome to Wonderland...

You've not used your still in ages so your first run should be to clean it as you said. If you've already bought turbo yeast/carbon/clear then use that to make the cleaning wash. Run it then chuck it away. The turbo stuff is quick. Yes. But it's more complicated than just using bread yeast... and bread yeast makes a better tasting product.

If you've not bought it yet then pleasend don't waste your money. Buy a tub of breast yeast from Tesco and make a batch of Birdwatchers sugar wash. It's much cheaper and just as good for cleaning (make a big batch, do the first run and discard it... do a second/third run etc and keep that product for drinking while you do the rum )

As MCH had said, Buccaneer Bob's is a good recipe to start for rum. Don't worry about the dunder, it's not essential, just make up the volume with water instead.

Good luck matey :-)
Pmsl
Defo down the rabbit hole alright!
Don't worried I've not bought the dreaded turbo yeast and all that!!
Thinking using my 25l FV
So could you help me with the measures/volumes please..in uk measurement
I've just Sussed pounds and pence and adding up etc after a year n a half!! (Intense theropy wup! Wup!)
Just finished my last book age 5 Peter and Jane book...getting better. Haha!!
That a bit of a lie...I had to use them to re start learning again..last year..but my memory got re-mapped after 4 month.
Our lass will go barmy is she find out I've climbed up the loft and get my old home brew kit out...
My man cave is back on!! Bloody hell I forgot how much kit I had!!!even a copper parrot!!! -;) hidden away...
Thx mikey
Catch u later
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Hello all,
I'm trying to buy molasses in the UK and I'm getting a bit confused lol (doesn't take much) :lol:
is this any good
http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/blacks ... 0wodMzoBAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

and how many for 3-4l.?

I asked before is Buccaneer Bobs rum, in USA measurements for the recipe?
ATB
Amber
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I don't see how big those jars are.

For a 3 to 4 liter (1 gallon), you'd need 1-1/2 to 2 lb, or roughly 3/4 to 7/8 kg. You could supplement raw sugar for molasses if you can't get enough. Again, the target sugar & molly would be around 2 lb/gallon.

I noticed that the blackstrap molly is unsulfured, which is the correct thing to use. So you should be OK...if you buy enough for your fermenter.
ss

edit- now I see that they're 740 grams...just about right for 3 to 4 liters. Again, you can supplement with some raw sugar if desired.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Good morning!
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately due to learning difficultys...especial today lol I've got confused with all that lbs, kg etc...
Sorry for being a pain...Weights n measures and adding up sums is the next subject I have to re-learn with my therapy.
I know that 1000g is a Kg....and the mally is .748g...after that I'm confused.
Could you explain how many .748g jars I'd need?
I don't want to over do the recipe...lol
As the days goes by and if get the info N my head and understand it!! I'll remember it!! Write it down I mean lol
Atb
Amber

Is it 1.5 jars....for the 2lb you mentioned..
(2 jars-.748g each!!!)
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

From what still_stirrin has calculated, you need 1 far of that per gallon of wash you want to make.

So to make 1 gallon of wash, 1 jar.
2 gallons of wash, 2 jars.
5 gallons of wash, 5 jars... etc.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Mikey-moo wrote:From what still_stirrin has calculated, you need 1 far of that per gallon of wash you want to make.

So to make 1 gallon of wash, 1 jar.
2 gallons of wash, 2 jars.
5 gallons of wash, 5 jars... etc.
:thumbup:

And if your OG is a bit low (it's hard to tell how much sugar you have in molly because of all the other "stuff" in it), you could add a little more white sugar, although I'd prefer raw sugar (it's available at the supermarket and has a slightly brown color). I wouldn't add more than 1/2 lb (225 grams for those of you who read metric) per gallon.

But, you don't need a super high starting gravity to get the full flavor in your rum. It's more about how you distill it. Personally, I like to potstill it through a couple of passes to carry the flavor while getting the proof up to where I can put it on wood.

Molasses will ferment fast and furious and terminate quickly if you use a yeast bomb to start it. That, and keep it warmer...in the 90*-95* F range works well. And be prepared for Krausen blowoff...it will pitch a lot of foam in the fermenter. So make sure you have headroom or a blowoff tube.
ss
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Great replied guys,
I'm going to use a 25l Fv...
So my overal would be 23l wash!!
(23l U.K.)
So I'm wanting the mally and sugar in U.K. Grams for the 23l mash.
So now I have work out from us gallons to uk litres....ahhhhhhhh!! My head is pounding lol
I'll work it out after my evening meal....
Atb
Amber
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

amberleaf wrote:Great replied guys,
(23l U.K.)
So now I have work out from us gallons to uk litres....ahhhhhhhh!! My head is pounding lol
Atb
Amber
Something that not everyone knows is that you can use Google as a calculator.
Put something in the search box like "1 USD in GBP" and it will give you the value in pounds of one US Dollar right now.
"1 gallon in liters" works as well. Or if you like "23 liters in gallons"
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

nerdybrewer wrote:
amberleaf wrote:Great replied guys,
(23l U.K.)
Atb
Amber
Something that not everyone knows is that you can use Google as a calculator.
Put something in the search box like "1 USD in GBP" and it will give you the value in pounds of one US Dollar right now.
"1 gallon in liters" works as well. Or if you like "23 liters in gallons"
Great pal!
Sorry if you get frustrated with me, but the learning difficultys is hard from the strokes...if I take it one at a time...ill be ok but too much info.....INFO OVERLOAD!! Haha! I deal with it and getter stronger everyday..
I'll try the google thing later.
Thx so much
ATB
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

23l (U.K.) is just over 6 us gallons so be 6 jars of mally...I think lol
I'm getting there..
Atb
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Morning all,
Looks like the info overload fried my brain yesterday! Lol
Just getting the measurement right for the 23l mash.
Looking back finally worked out 6 jars (748g) of mally.
But what about the sugar?
Sorry I keep mention I'm having probs with numbers, weights n measures..really getting to me...all my qualifications with mathematics over the years seems to be down the drain!!!! Have to laugh through, I am learning them slowly and least I can get there...haha!!
Atb
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Today got word that the old garage that my old pot still in had collapsed!! So my friend is going to let me how damaged the still..and if it can be salvaged..
But thinking back the construction it's too good..and I'll be frightened all the time..
Ohhh well! Back to square one.
Going to perchase a still in the U.K. But where to start??? Legally I'm bit frightened as u imagine...
Any advice be awesome guys
Atb
Amber
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Oh no! Sorry to hear that mate. Have a look around, post some options up on here and let the old timers review them for you.

amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Thx mikey,
I'm defo'd TBH..
Just when thought things were going right...
But not all lost..
All I need the right set up..but it's a mile field as u know.
I'll hold on and see where I go from now..if no joy! I'll still enjoy learning and get there..
It's not as if I can go to the hight street and buy a still...nuff said.
Like u said I need advised etc.
Catch u later pal
Amber
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Well. Let's help you out... we know you want to make rum... so a pot still would suit you.

How will you be heating it?

amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Mikey-moo wrote:Well. Let's help you out... we know you want to make rum... so a pot still would suit you.

I'll try with a mobile single hob...has a dial I can de turns down...ill not know it will suitable till I get a still and a cleaning run etc.
The other option is gas cooker!! I'm frightened lol of the leaks especially if a still its tight enough..
Now looking on a still option..
Even the turbo 500...??
Just to get started..
I'll look today what's offered in the uk..money isn't a prob for the right one.
As I mentioned I've got limitations with my disability, I.e. No DIY lol
Any help n advice be greatly appreciate
ATB
AMBER
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

amberleaf wrote:
Mikey-moo wrote:Well. Let's help you out... we know you want to make rum... so a pot still would suit you.

I'll try with a mobile single hob...has a dial I can de turns down...ill not know it will suitable till I get a still and a cleaning run etc.
The other option is gas cooker!! I'm frightened lol of the leaks especially if a still its tight enough..
Even the turbo 500...??
Just to get started..
ATB
AMBER
Mobile hobs tend to be controlled by a thermostat. They regulate their power by cycling on and off for various amounts of time - so Max = full power all the time, Half = full power half of the time. This isn't ideal for distilling where you need power all the time. They can usually be modified to remove the thermostat, but that just leaves you with 1 power level - full on - all of the time. This might be ok for stripping runs, but not ideal for slower spirit runs.

The gas burner would be ideal, but personally using gas indoors scares the bejeeses out of me, so I wouldn't do that either.

The T500 is a CM reflux which only has one power level as far as I know. They're not great, and not ideal for making rum, unless you get the pot still head, but given your disability that might be a good option.

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with.

amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Mikey-moo wrote:
amberleaf wrote:

Even the turbo 500...??
Just to get started..
ATB
AMBER
Mobile hobs tend to be controlled by a thermostat. They regulate their power by cycling on and off for various amounts of time - so Max = full power all the time, Half = full power half of the time. This isn't ideal for distilling where you need power all the time. They can usually be modified to remove the thermostat, but that just leaves you with 1 power level - full on - all of the time. This might be ok for stripping runs, but not ideal for slower spirit runs.

The gas burner would be ideal, but personally using gas indoors scares the bejeeses out of me, so I wouldn't do that either.

The T500 is a CM reflux which only has one power level as far as I know. They're not great, and not ideal for making rum, unless you get the pot still head, but given your disability that might be a good option.

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with.
Thx so much Mikey, I really apreciate..
Yeah the gas indoors what put another stoke on me!! The stress will over powering.
Hmmmmmm!! An electric powered pot still will be ideal.. takes the scare of the naked flame away..well almost lol
What you think of using a thumper as well?
I'd cool the pop still using cold water via a small pump in a large container(ice etc) and the outlet to the sink.
It's what done years ago..
I've not got the taps fitted or and outside hose fitting.
Plenty place in the kitchen to put the still..and air the kitchen.
If I'm going 23l of mash every time what size of pot still to buy?
Like I said no problems with money..but need it economical etc..last a long time..and I can put the still setup easy..
Still buzzing and eager to carry on..
Thx pal
Atb
Amber
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

amberleaf wrote:...Plenty place in the kitchen to put the still..and air the kitchen....
If I'm going 23l of mash every time what size of pot still to buy?...Like I said no problems with money....
Amber, please don't take this the wrong way, but this hobby may not be the best choice for you. You are very apprehensive with your own physical & mental conditions to the extent that you may not be completely in control of your actions and reactions. This may be critical to your health now and in the future.

For example, putting a propane burner inside is NEVER a good idea...even with all the windows open. Now, suppose you could be attentive enough to watch it full time, it still could be extremely dangerous very quickly. It is not only NOT recommended, it is WARNED against. Do not do it...ever!

But if you are looking to "buy" a still, I would recommend that your boiler be a minimum of 20 liters. Smaller than that is difficult to operate successfully without a lot of skill (and comprehension), meaning it exceeds your history with your previous still(s).

Then, since your boiler would be approximately 20-25 liters, you'd need to charge it with 16-18 liters per run. Therefore, the "right sized" ferment would be 45-60 liters. In this instance, you would run 3 charges, collecting low wines for a final spirit run. This is a well-planned protocol for rums, whiskeys, and all full-flavored spirits. Plus, it would give you plenty of time operating your still so that you could become familiar with it.

So, spend TIME first (planning)...so you don't spend MONEY wastefully.

Always be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

still_stirrin wrote:
amberleaf wrote:...Plenty place in the kitchen to put the still..and air the kitchen....
If I'm going 23l of mash every time what size of pot still to buy?...Like I said no problems with money....
Amber, please don't take this the wrong way, but this hobby may not be the best choice for you. You are very apprehensive with your own physical & mental conditions to the extent that you may not be completely in control of your actions and reactions. This may be critical to your health now and in the future.

For example, putting a propane burner inside is NEVER a good idea...even with all the windows open. Now, suppose you could be attentive enough to watch it full time, it still could be extremely dangerous very quickly. It is not only NOT recommended, it is WARNED against. Do not do it...ever!

But if you are looking to "buy" a still, I would recommend that your boiler be a minimum of 20 liters. Smaller than that is difficult to operate successfully without a lot of skill (and comprehension), meaning it exceeds your history with your previous still(s).

Then, since your boiler would be approximately 20-25 liters, you'd need to charge it with 16-18 liters per run. Therefore, the "right sized" ferment would be 45-60 liters. In this instance, you would run 3 charges, collecting low wines for a final spirit run. This is a well-planned protocol for rums, whiskeys, and all full-flavored spirits. Plus, it would give you plenty of time operating your still so that you could become familiar with it.

So, spend TIME first (planning)...so you don't spend MONEY wastefully.

Always be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
SS
I don't take it throng way! In fact it's great that you mention the problems I could face..
TBH I've battled my disibilty to the point that I have took a long time researching and actuality taking that time each step of the way making sure I'm not in harms way!!
I learned to one handed to make boxes etc wood tools, and the harder power tools...
In fact coz of my limitations safety and care come before any thing else..
One thing I will never do it undergo something I cannot do safely and confiditely..
All said and done, it's not a case of throughout money into a hobby unless I have days, weeks even months to get it right.
ALL said done..like any hobby there might be a risk..and being caution is paramount.
Still working out how far I go the hobby..the turbo 500 it small quantity using it as a pot still..might be good for me..ok there limitations what I can make and the quality..I.e. A simple vodka mash..
I take my time and make the right decisions
Thank you pal
Atb
Bri
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Found this last nite...
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/alembic-pot-still/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Ok I've looked on the limitations of the T500...and now this one.
For 400 odd £'s im not sure..
Seems to me the boiler is one setting?? They don't mention the heat settings, well the links I saw.
Doesn't it mean that heat will rise...when people turn down the heat when the right temp is hit!! On spirit run anyways.
Ok for a stripping run I suppose.
It's electric and I can use my 25l mash..
I'm still looking...
I keep asking myself what I want to achieve out of it all..how much I willing to pay..is it economical...safe..ease of operation..
At the mo, I fancy making rum..so a pot still is where I'm heading.
A relux still would be great for the neutral spirits..
I need to weight the options and see if any pot still in the U.K. Fit the bill.
Before I making up my mind..
Crawl before I walk..
Atb
Amber