First Rum...TBC..amberleaf progress :-)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

amberleaf
Novice

Re: First Rum...TBC..amberleaf progress :-)

Post by amberleaf »

Morning all,
Well it's been a long day deciding what right still to buy..
Decisions decisions..
I've mulled the options over and what I exactly what to with the hobby, and as pointed out before by guys the safely issues, my 'mental state' being able to concidrate and if someone went wrong could I react accordingly.
The answer is firstly I want to learn again the art of distilling, it fascinates me, ever since I made my kit beers, got better, then into AG brewing got better...wine and attempt the vodka in the small pot still.
Ok I learned with a pot still instead of a reflux still and simple mashes.
One thing I know about myself, I'll not jump in and be dedicated to learn and make the best I can in any hobby or job.
I learned (still learning) 10 years of making a world class custom knife and sheath...dedicated, drive, motivation and learning my mistakes...mistakes I only make once!!
25 years in the Army gave me this drive to get better...
Hence my disibilty my motivation to get better.
And ultimately WERE I AM FAILING..what is needed to succeed and at any time and I just can't succeed...time to to get out of Dodge!!
I digress, sorry!
All said and done, researching is one thing, but accurately get the steps needed to make the hobby enjoyably, safely, is another thing.
I don't want over night think I can produce a world class spirit, but the best I can using what I have..learning every step.
Research for me and small steps is my key, with what I am facing.
So what I'm thinking:
1. Either buy a T500 with the copper condenser..re-think the mash recipe...learn the t500 till I'm happy.
2. Buy the copper dome, condenser and ettempt coloured spirits. Get better.
3. Just see where I go from there...
As pointed out with my disibilty and all that, all I want is a non fuss, no DIY set up.
And safely.....
decisions, devisions, this is guys come in!! GreAt to get advice from guru's that know the score!
Thank you for reading my novels lol and hope my coms problem isn't making what I'm trying to say, understandable?
Ok I've got a disibilty, my speech is not too good, my arm n legs doesn't work like they used to, I get confused sometimes due to re-mapping the memories and making decisions..
But in fact there's Nothing wrong with thinking and making decisions..just takes a lot longer!
Thx for viewing...now time for 7 injections of Botox in my arm! Petty is injeced in my face!! Ha ha!
Respect to all
Atb
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Hello All,
just deciding (again!) what still id buy....so in the mean time I can concentrate on the recipe :D
Still 23-25L (uk)
but battling my quantities.
but ill get there.
ATB
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

amberleaf wrote:Morning all,
Looks like the info overload fried my brain yesterday! Lol
Just getting the measurement right for the 23l mash.
Looking back finally worked out 6 jars (748g) of mally.
But what about the sugar?
Sorry I keep mention I'm having probs with numbers, weights n measures..really getting to me...all my qualifications with mathematics over the years seems to be down the drain!!!! Have to laugh through, I am learning them slowly and least I can get there...haha!!
Atb
Amber
Hello all,
just to tie down the sugar for the recipe. in gms or Kg if you don't mind.
for 23L mash.
ATB
Amber
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Mikey-moo wrote:I have a 12L still and I collect my cuts in 500ml jars... but I only fill them half full, so about 250ml in each... some people collect in even smaller jars... up to you really, but smaller jars = tighter cuts.

Edit: Also you can use feed grade molasses and still be ok... e.g. http://www.olddairysaddlery.co.uk/naf_m ... AmsK8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
looking the mally 5l £8.50 plus P&P.
might be worth while buying it,and if the first batch turned out ok at least I know where to buy it..
What you all think?
ATB
Bri
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

If you want to make rum you need a pot still.

3kg of sugar for a 23L wash.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Mikey-moo wrote:If you want to make rum you need a pot still.

3kg of sugar for a 23L wash.
sorry a long time to respond pal..
sent u a PM.
loved to eventually whiskys n rum.
back to drawing board and re-learn :thumbup:
later m8
Bri
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

Hi all,
I'm still in the researching!!! But I've got offline help from an emazing bloke, don't know if he'll want his name publish for now. :-;
Taking it slow...
1. The boiler is going to heated by electric!
2. So the first project is getting the items to make a power controller.
3. Covert a 33l SS FV into the boiler.
4. Pot still from Still Dragon Europe.

Every step of the way with his help I'll slowly build the peer controller, reckon if I can make and build a few stir plates for my yeast starters etc I can certainly build the PC..we should see :-)
If at any time with my disibilty gets too hard my pal ova at Norfolk will step in and help..he's a sparky so I'm in good hands.
But that's the last option...I thrive on a challenge! But not stupid to if it's a project too far for my capabilities!!
I would say I'm a bloke that's read all the threads and skickies etc but I have read up months n months but brain retention has always a prob since the the illness, so my journal (notes) is like a size of the yellow pages!!
Has to be!! Coz I can read and digest the info say on one subject!! All going fine...just to get a 'info overload' and my brain gets fried!! Back to square one..hence my taking it slow...all good skills so far.
I'm really enjoying myself...most people would be chomping at the bit by now...but all come to me in time.
Just wanted to share my progress with you all.
In time I'll hope to get my notes and pics together to help others on the power controller and the still...and tweak it till I'm happy...
Until then thx for putting up with me...
Certainly taking my time..
Bri
amberleaf
Novice

Post by amberleaf »

05/06/17
Today be the final bits I buy for the power controller.
Regulator, fan and the peer lead..
All going to plan...slowly as usual.
Then be testing it before I go onto phase 2 of the boiler build!
Once I suss sending secure pics I'll be able to show the process...good to see pics :-)
TBC
BRI