New to distilling...

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

bootlegger72
Novice

New to distilling...

Post by bootlegger72 »

Hi Everyone,

thanks for accepting my application,

So here in sunny South Africa we have been in various levels of lockdown since the 27th March 2020, during which alcohol sales have been banned! so what started out as some "essential Brewing" ended up in essential distilling (Mostly due to a particularly unpalattable pineapple beer :sick: !)

access to all the nice shiny bits I've seen on the forum is limited in SA and with funds being on the low side I had to build my first potstill from bits I had lying around and a bit of help from a buddy who can weld stainless steel. THe result is this rather crude attempt...
IMG-20200726-WA0003.jpeg
It works though and so far I have produced a quite drinkable whisky (Little low on the ABV but then it was a first attempt) a more than drinkable rum
IMG-20200731-WA0006.jpeg
and this last weekend I produced a somewhat lightly flavoured Gin (from a sugar wash and feints from my rum). That ran 5Litres at 80% ABV before tapering :crazy:

anyways I have some questions about using feints for High ABV neutral spirits but I'll address that to the correct forum, oh and the still is very much a work in progress. THis weekend should see the addition on a Gin "chamber" in that rather skinny looking column...I'll post when its done....
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: New to distilling...

Post by Setsumi »

wecom to HD myself from RSA. quite a few from SA on here lately. enjoy, read lots AND if things here contradict local or tube knowledge just read more on here to understand it better.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, good on ya’ for being “resourceful”.

But, “awe shucks”...I see a couple of dangerous features in our still:
..1st; the glass jug “thumper” is a huge NO NO. Get rid of it asap.
..2nd; the small copper tubing from the riser to and through the worm is too small. A puke can push crap into it, potentially causing a plug.
..3rd; it looks like a rubber gasket between the boiler lid and the boiler vessel. Rubber is dissolved by high temperature alcohols, so you can get leaching of toxic chemicals into your spirits.

I realize that the hobby is an intrigue, especially when your government controls retail sales. But this website promotes safety rather than the illegitimacy, hopefully to gain respect within the governing entities.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And always blow through your tubes before starting.
An insect or an insect nest nest can block it with maybe disastrous results.

Geoff
The Baker
bootlegger72
Novice

Post by bootlegger72 »

Thanks for the advice guys.... will replace the thumper, although i got the idea from a couple of sites showing mason jars for the same application... guess you can't believe everything you read on the net...😂.
As for the gasket i had cork in there but i think that was synthetic too.... how about food grade silicone? Otherwise i guess a copper ring could work too...i completely agree on the riser...i do disassemble and blow through after every run to be sure but I'm working on replacing it with 50-60mm stainless...

We live and learn....🤷‍♂️
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I love the cobbled together still. Great that you made palatable rum! This is a great intro into the hobby.

But yeah get some safer materials as soon as you can.

As in real life, some people on the internet are idiots and their practices best avoided ;-)

Silicone isn't allowed here either. Keep in mind ethanol isn't food, it's a powerful solvent. Even more so when hot.

Looking forward to your future build!
bootlegger72
Novice

Post by bootlegger72 »

20201101_180311.jpg
Ok so almost 3 x months later and here's my new updated still minus the dangerous bits i hope.
20201101_180304.jpg
20201101_180248.jpg
20201101_180300.jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Love it! Where there’s a will there’s a way!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I like the way you fixed the lid on.

Did you weld tabs inside the vessel or was there a rim left on top, to fix the screws onto?

Geoff
The Baker
bootlegger72
Novice

Post by bootlegger72 »

Hey Baker,

I had studs welded on the inside of the vessel. The studs were welded first then the plate seam welded to the top of the vessel. Leaves a nice smooth surface to pull the lid down onto.. still have to seal it with some flour paste which is a pain if you're doing multiple runs. I guess a Teflon seal would probably work too, just not sure of the toxicity of Teflon?