Boiler for a still?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

tran56
Novice

Boiler for a still?

Post by tran56 »

So I have a still that I made already it is a 55 gallons stainless drum with a 5 ft reflux column. So now onto my next project I am thinking of building another but only smaller about 30 gallons. Instead of using a keg I was thinking of using a new hot water heater as I have one on hand. Has anyone ever done this? If so how did you get around cleaning the boiler considering you only have to 1 inch diameter holes to work with? The real reason I would want to use this is because it is already so well insulated and all of my controls for my element are on it. So what do you think?
Hawke
retired

Re: Boiler for a still?

Post by Hawke »

Yes, it has been done. As long as you don't try to modify the tank, and break the glass lining.
The thermostats used on a water heater are not good for distillation, as the on/off cycle times are too broad.
As long as you are using cleared washes, just a simple rince is all it should need for cleaning. Once in a while, fill it with something like Oxy-Clean, if you get some build up.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
tran56
Novice

Post by tran56 »

Ok well what kind of thermostat do you suggest? On the last still I made I bought a thermostat but it was rediculously expensive is there any way to get one cheaper or build one?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

is it possible to move the stat you have between the 2 stills multitasking the equipment you have ? cob
be water my friend
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Most stills aren't controlled by a thermostat at all... The ratio of ethanol and water in the wash controls boiling temperature as well as vapor temperature... With a pot still both temperatures increase as the ethanol is depleted from the boiler... With a column still the temperature is controlled by reflux... As the boiler temperature increases, due to ethanol depletion, you can keep the vapor temperature in check by increasing reflux which in turn reduces the take off rate...
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

tran56 wrote:Ok well what kind of thermostat do you suggest? On the last still I made I bought a thermostat but it was rediculously expensive is there any way to get one cheaper or build one?
Read these instructions for a johnson A419
http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/M ... 125188.PDF

Here is the ranco controll--i have both and prefer the ranco because it has a hi temp limit of over 212 deg F in case i want to boil my water--the johnson only goes as high as 212 and i dont think it actually will hit that temp

the prices on this next link are reasonable compared to what other places are asking

http://www.rancoetc.com/etc_controllers-c-36.html
teach me and correct me if you are my friend
brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Post by brewmaker1 »

I'm not sure about all water heaters, but the one's I have seen have two elements. One up high and one down low. If the one you plan to use has a top element you might want to disable it. You wouldn't want that element heating with no liquid around it. Just a safety thought.