First Rum Run finally and very happy!!

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillkicker
Novice

First Rum Run finally and very happy!!

Post by stillkicker »

well yesterday i finished my first run, I like to thank everyone on here that helped me with this task, it was fun, nerve wrecking and..well..i wasnt able to smell anything but shine for 4 hours after i completed the run...FUN!!!

5 gal suger wash, start sg 1.190(i think) and finished at .998....3 weeks to ment(patiance was killing me)

6lbs dark brown sugar
4 lbs white suger
4 vit B crushed
30 grams bakers yeast
2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 1/4 gallons of water (tap water because my town water dont taste and smell like a fart) *figure of speech*
1 cup **secret** (wifes doing...without me knowing...guys shes got me by the balls and you will find out why here down the page)

*Did one run only on a pot still*
250 ml forshot(pitched)
650 to 750 heads (roughly)
1 liter of 170 proff 85%
1 liter of 150 proff 75%
1 liter of 130 proff 60%
rest tails
The smell was sharp like rubbing alcohol at first but overnight airing out, it had calmed down a lot. Tasted sweet and kept the taste over night.

**now the cool part**(at least i think)

took a sample, diluted to 50% and added flavors to make up a 4 oz sample.

4 oz. 50% rum and 25ml flavor i made up. shook well let sit and aired with new filter on for couple of hours and smelling AMAZING!!! Then took a sip and washed it around spit it out...AMAZING!!! Took a shot worth and drank it...smooth, rich, bold, nice warm going down...AMAZING.

THIS SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!

1 day of airing out with a litte flavor and i have sipping quality rum that would have taken 6 months to a year to age!!!

If i forgot anything ill add on but right now im enjoying some rum haha!!

thanks again evenyone for the help!!
RumBrewer
Rumrunner

Re: First Rum Run finally and very happy!!

Post by RumBrewer »

Why so much fores? No Harm in tossing it.... But 100 ML should be more than sufficient... especially if you're making good cuts.
Glad you made a good rum!
Keep it up!

~Cheers!
Everything I do or say may or may not have really happened... or it may or may not be all bull shit!
Turning money into steam and likker 10 gallons at a time!
I just want Uncle Sam to be more like Uncle Jessy!
stillkicker
Novice

Post by stillkicker »

It was a comfort thing for the forshots, I had 100ml marked on the jar but that banner better safe the sorry thing pop'd in my head but in the end not to worried about it since I have plunty moreto dilute.

Thanks and cheers to you also!!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

RumBrewer wrote:Why so much fores? No Harm in tossing it.... But 100 ML should be more than sufficient... especially if you're making good cuts.
Glad you made a good rum!
Keep it up!

~Cheers!
I toss out 600ml on a 10 to 12 gal run. What's the use in keeping it? It's just nasty early heads anyway?

Congrats on your rum run. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
stillkicker
Novice

Post by stillkicker »

Thanks prairie, I'm still trying to get the wife to tell me what she put in(1 cup secret) but she wont tell me...she said if I'm good she will add it like I'm some kid or something, doing this I kinda do like back when I was in science class lol..God it love that women lol. If if figure it out ill be sure to post it. I'm going to do a couple more rum runs till I try something else, any suggestions?

Cheers!!
Bro-sephus
Bootlegger

Post by Bro-sephus »

Cheers on doing your first run! You're a lucky man to have a wife that not only puts up with you stillin' but wants to be a part of it! Got any pics of the product?
Brosephus
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends' nose.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

stillkicker wrote:1 cup **secret**
Wow. Does your wife leave out ingredients when giving recipes to friends too? :)
stillkicker wrote:took a sample, diluted to 50% and added flavors to make up a 4 oz sample.
What flavors? Would you mind elaborating?
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.