How long can a mash stay good

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tutu
Novice

How long can a mash stay good

Post by Tutu »

I made 2 mashes back in December I've never distilled them still got them I smelt them today neither has any trace of vinegar in the smell the cornflake mash smells like whiskey but I used a fair bit of sugar and dap I expected 15% ish.

I've never used my still so need to do a cleaning run one of my mashes is turbo yeast I got free with still I was going to use this for the cleaning run and the other one to make something I might drink.

Do you think they will still be ok to distill.
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Re: How long can a mash stay good

Post by dakotasnake »

why not? if it smells and looks good run with it and see how it comes out. just wondering why ya left it so long? this hobby takes a little time, if you dont have time maybe you should consider another hobby, im not being a smart ass im just saying jump in with both feet or dont jump at all. good luck.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
Tutu
Novice

Post by Tutu »

dakotasnake wrote:why not? if it smells and looks good run with it and see how it comes out. just wondering why ya left it so long? this hobby takes a little time, if you dont have time maybe you should consider another hobby, im not being a smart ass im just saying jump in with both feet or dont jump at all. good luck.
I stopped drinking for 9 months after 9 months sober I realised I need booze lol.

I bought a mile hi still back in november I thought I might as well give it a go, I have lots of hobbies that take time this is relatively short for me.
suburban hillbilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by suburban hillbilly »

Hi tutu
I have a similar thread (will my wash keep) and i have just stilled a rum that had been in the fermenter for just under two years and it smells great.
So i think your nose should be the judge of your mash as long as its sealed properly with airlocks bungs etc there is no reason it shouldn't be ok unless of course it does start to stink.
All the best SH
freespirited
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by freespirited »

Ive had some last and some stank. Use it for a cleaning run. Only takes a week to make another and from the sounds of it you havent been in too big of a hurry so far.
Reddog
Novice

Post by Reddog »

If it dont have huge amounts of vegetables growing on or in it and it dont stink..

its good to go..
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

i let TPW sit around for ages sometimes up to 3 months

it's fine over winter and OK over summer but the heat may be more and issue
whiskeytripping
Swill Maker

Post by whiskeytripping »

Best thing to do next time is run it, put it on oak, then it would age for 9 months :lol: (it wouldn't be a great motivator to STOP drinking huh?) But yes it's good and run it already :thumbup:
BEAUCO
Novice

Post by BEAUCO »

I'll be watching this post for an update! I'd like to hear how it turns out for you. I had a run of sobriety over the summer and jumped off the wagon. My thoughts are if you don't handle it, IT WILL HANDLE YOU. Just keeping mine in check. Hobbies, not habits, right! Good luck with that.

BEAUCO
Tutu
Novice

Post by Tutu »

I've still not done it couldn't get any gas for the burner this weekend I left it too late but hopefully next weekend.

The main reason it was never distilled earlier in the year was I had a hot plate and it was totally crap and I just gave up. I've got a decent propane burner now.