First build

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

First build

Post by Truckinbutch »

A buddy of mine , a noted scrounger and hoarder , gets grand ideas and totally lacks mechanical skills . Showed up at my house with half a pickup bed of various metal objects and said , "I need a little help to build a still ."
Which translates into :'I need you to build me a still because I can't even tighten the chain on my chainsaw .' I love him like a short bus ridin brother and I think he may have finally come up with a good idea .
Sorted through the pile with an end result in mind and came up with a surprising inventory of usable parts .
15.5 gal stainless Hoff-Stevens style keg (he got in 1977 for a gas tank on a dune buggy he never built .)
stainless vacuum chamber from a commercial dairy operation . 14"dia x 14"h to domed top .
enough 1/2" copper and fittings for the inner tube of a 36" Leibig condenser
16" chevy wheel rim that the keg wouldn't quite fit in
2"tri clamp /2 stainless ferrules .
Total investment :$0
Did 40 plus hours reading here , and continue to do so . Developed a plan and gave him a material list .
2 stainless flanges 1/8 x 14"id x 17"od to tig to the vac chamber and the keg . $100 laser cut from a shop in Pa
60,000 btu bayou classic burner $ 53 delivered to my house
Enough 2" down to 3/4" copper for stack/lyne arm/condenser jacket

Fitting the tapered keg to the wheel was no problem . 8 vertical cuts with a porta-ban from inner rim to center and a hammer got us a tapered fit with the center removed . I'll fit legs to it after the burner gets here .
When the flanges arrive I'm going to clamp both together and tig one to the vac chamber , line up on top of the keg and tig the second . Then plasma cut the top out of the keg leaving enough lip on keg to catch any flour paste sqeezout .
tig ss 2"ferrule into vac chamber dome and go to copper rest of way to 3/4" over 1/2" x 36" Leibig .
All comments and suggestions are heartily solicited .
Jim
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First build

Post by Stainless dude »

What a deal, sounds like you got it under control. Get to a building so you can get to distilling.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:roll: Flange rings got here yesterday and the burner should get here tomorrow . Now my buddy is second guessing me on the Liebig . 'Why not 1" over 3/4" or 1" over 1/2" , or 1 1/2 " over 3/4" , ect .' ....................... :evil: I don't give a fuck !
I put in a lot of hours here (and enjoyed every minute of it for me ) reading and developing a plan to build him the best 15 gal rig I could . I don't like to whip my cats twice .
With the option still open ;as no actual fabrication has started , does anyone here think I should deviate from the plan I set forth in the op ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
buddha52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by buddha52 »

I would go with the 3/4 over 1/2 myself. Here is a pic of my rig with the worm and flake stand. Pain to set up and tear down. I was thinking of a Liebig to make it more compact.
002.JPG
Judging by the heat the worm makes an Liebig of the size you are considering will do just fine :thumbup:
" HILLBILLY PROUD"
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for the vote of confidence , Buddha52 . I was involved in the labor and transportation end of distillin for 38 of my 62 years . I got a lot to relearn and ,from reading here , a lot to forget . Sort of like being the offbearer on the sawmill . Ya know how the whole operation functions . If ya knew how to saw ya wouldn't be doing the heavy lifting .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Still no burner . Build starts from the floor up , so I'm twiddling thumbs until delivery . Got tired of buddie's second guess and agreed to build Liebig 1" over 1/2" . 4 gauge ground wire wrapped on the 1/2 " should impart some turbulence to the water jacket . Added expense doesn't seem to bother him . WTF , I'm just the fabricator , what do I know ..................................
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Still(no pun intended) makin progress . Burner arrived(Bayou Classic) sans screws or spring to fasten air regulator to the burner housing . Their customer service couldn't tell me what size screws to look for so I could get my wife to pick them up on her way home . Trip to lowes for 2 danged screws . (They are metric approx to 1/4 20 sae) . Liebig parts all cut and dry fit . Anneal #4 wire on the burner tomorrow and wrap / solder together .
Ponderin tigin a .125 ring to the bonnet which I mike at .024+/-. Don't know if I got that skill . Silver solder is going to be pretty pricey around a 14" diameter ring . Read a post or two here that you can solder ss to ss with 95/5 with the proper prep and flux .
Any advice ? The bucks can be spent . Just hurts my heart to do so .
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Richard7 ,
Thank you for the help . I think you helped me solve the problem . I'm off to the shop now to do great things .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The day went well . Got the burner operational and used it to anneal the #4 solid copper . Amazing how friendly that stiff old wire gets when you light a fire under it's ass and then give it a drink of cold water . Vapor tube is now wrapped and ready for the water jacket .
*Note to self : Nitrile gloves do a fine job of keeping body oils off of clean copper . They possess no insulating qualities if you forget and touch hot copper .
HD has had a definite bad influence on me . I'm getting so wrapped in this project that I may be unable to give up my 'firstborn' when it is done . Scored 2 more kegs day before yesterday so I can build my buddy another if I can't give this one up .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SS soft soldered to SS didn't go so well yesterday . Wrong flux . Went to local plumbing supply I've done business with for 40+ years today . Been there several times since I started this project for various pieces parts . Got a couple bottles of Harris Stay Clean flux and several copper fittings .
Clerk asked me how I was paying .'Cash'. He smiled and hand wrote a receipt .
I looked at it when he slid it across the counter . There was a 10% discount on the total that I questioned .
"We give all builders that we know a discount and accept samples ." he said with another smile .
We had never discussed what I have been buying materials for and still haven't .
Just found a new best friend and supplier for all my plumbing needs . :thumbup:
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Truckinbutch wrote:SS soft soldered to SS didn't go so well yesterday .
Sorry to hear about the bad flux...Good to hear about your plumbing needs!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Richard7 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:SS soft soldered to SS didn't go so well yesterday .
Sorry to hear about the bad flux...Good to hear about your plumbing needs!
Such unsolisited support reminds me of my grandfather in Carroll county ,VA . He had a general store that no one of his political party ever bought Mason jars and sugar from ....... He signed it all out to members of the opposing party .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Today was semi-successful . Got a good solder joint for 30" around a 44"circle . Remaining 14" ; not so much . I'll address that tomorrow .At this point I am probably spending a dollar to save a dime but ; it ought to work a n I am 'By God!'gonna make it work .
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Keep at it I know how you feel. Had my boiler all soldered up and dropped it right on the seam :evil: ended up cutting off the bottom and redoing it (after I tried to fix it). Guess it comes with the territory
The only barrier to truth is the assumption you already have it

My Stuff
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36697
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Truckinbutch wrote: reminds me of my grandfather in Carroll county ,VA . He had a general store that no one of his political party ever bought Mason jars and sugar from ....... He signed it all out to members of the opposing party .
Sound like your grandfather was a wise man. We are not supposed to be political here so let me leave it at that. I can't stand to see an able bodied man with his hand out! :silent:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Richard7 wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote: reminds me of my grandfather in Carroll county ,VA . He had a general store that no one of his political party ever bought Mason jars and sugar from ....... He signed it all out to members of the opposing party .
Sound like your grandfather was a wise man. We are not supposed to be political here so let me leave it at that. I can't stand to see an able bodied man with his hand out! :silent:
I tried to step as lightly as possible around the issue of politics . It was necessary to the post to explain Grandaddy's logic in falsifying records . He was a crusty old blister with a very narrow view of life to the general public that traded with him . To family he was a generous , loving man .
He would get out of bed in the middle of the night to gas up Curtis Turner's car if he needed it :)
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'll call today a success . Got the rest of the flange soldered to the cap . Drain , fill pipe , and mating flange are on tomorrow's work list . Slow progress , I know . I play 'Daddy Daycare' for 5 grandchildren who have MARRIED , PROFESSIONAL WORKING PARENTS . Least I can do is get those kids on and off school busses and see that homework is done by the time mom's and dad's come to claim them . Shop work has to work around that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

WHOO HOO :D :D Only had to put 1 kid on a bus this morning . Had the rest of the day to play in my shop . Got the boiler flange tiged in place , 3/4" half coupler tiged in the bottom for a drain and brazed 2" 90 to the bung opening for a fill pipe . Tiged tri-clamp flange to the cap . Tweaked everything in place on the burner . Now just a matter of soldering fittings and building lynne arm/condenser to fit . Ought to be able to light a fire and start cleaning by Tuesday . Buddy has been off on some other tangent for a few days . If he doesn't show up over the weekend to help he may not get this one . I'm gettin mighty attached to it and this hobby .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Reality check in the sober light of morning .SLOW and SAFE . So today was spent on positive ventilation system to evacuate co from a propane burner and redding up the shop to establish safe walking paths and staging areas for actual operation . I know me well enough to know that if I don't force myself a bit I am prone to cut corners for 'just this one time'. Blueprint for disaster in this hobby . I'll finish the safety features tomorrow and then start plumbing it up .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Ventilation in place , shop cleared , hearth bricked up to keep rig at a comfortable height . Ready to finish plumbing .
Buddy showed up this evening expecting to carry off a sample from 'our still' . Took him down to the shop and over several beers explained just what was involved and how labor intensive this hobby is . Upshot was that I bought him out because he doesn't want to work that hard .
You people are leading me into evil ways and I'm looking forward to it .
I guess , for a hobby for a retired old fart , it beats trippin little kids and old blue haired women at the mall .................................................
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Truckinbutch wrote: I guess , for a hobby for a retired old fart , it beats trippin little kids and old blue haired women at the mall .................................................

Yea that don't even get you a shot. Well maybe a mug shot! :wtf:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Doin my own involves a lot more time than doin a build and doin a rough set up in the shop for a test drive . My fireup day got pushed back significicantly when it became a semi-permanent operation in my shop . Several days away from lighting a fire now .
Be awright , slow and safe wins the race .
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Slow and safe wins the race. You are so right. Ain't no fun if your in a big rush anyway.
wv_hillbilly
Swill Maker

Post by wv_hillbilly »

Souning good truckin, slow and safe is always a good route. I thought I would be doing my cleaning runs this week, but when my tri clamp came, they sent the wrong size :thumbdown: So hopefully the correct size comes early next week. Guess it wasn't meant to happen this week.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Clearing enough room in my shop for a build was a squeeze , but doable . Finding this child permanent accommodations is another matter . My shop is so crowded to begin with that you can't cuss a cat without gettin a mouth full of fur . Lotta playin pilot : pick this up from here and pilot it over there . Everything in it is a 'might need it '. First thing I throw away will be the next thing I need .
jbird1992
Bootlegger

Post by jbird1992 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Clearing enough room in my shop for a build was a squeeze , but doable . Finding this child permanent accommodations is another matter . My shop is so crowded to begin with that you can't cuss a cat without gettin a mouth full of fur . Lotta playin pilot : pick this up from here and pilot it over there . Everything in it is a 'might need it '. First thing I throw away will be the next thing I need .

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep
The only barrier to truth is the assumption you already have it

My Stuff
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36697
wv_hillbilly
Swill Maker

Post by wv_hillbilly »

Truckinbutch wrote:Clearing enough room in my shop for a build was a squeeze , but doable . Finding this child permanent accommodations is another matter . My shop is so crowded to begin with that you can't cuss a cat without gettin a mouth full of fur . Lotta playin pilot : pick this up from here and pilot it over there . Everything in it is a 'might need it '. First thing I throw away will be the next thing I need .
Why don't wives understand this?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

wv_hillbilly wrote:
Why don't wives understand this?
Damn if I know . I'm on the second wife and still don't have her housebroke after nearly 20 years ........ Mebbie a gender thang ?.......... I don't wanna start no fights over such a small issue .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Buddah52 and wv-hillbilly , I tried sending both of you PMs . Don't know if they went through or not .
Continuing to remodel shop for semipermanent installation :
Positive/passive ventilation via 6" duct feeding into 8x16 lined chimney that is not being utilized for heating . Insulated fermenting room under a stair well that gets vented to the chimney to keep fermenting odors out of the house . Wheeled carts for fermenting vessels and carboys for low wines . Don't lift anything you can put on wheels .
Mating thick stainless fittings to thin stainless vessels I prefer to TIG and then use a hole saw through the fitting , used as a colett,'to finish the hole . All copper behaves better when you need to use it for other than it's normal application if you anneal it first and continue to do so while working it . Soft soldering stainless/stainless or copper/stainless works well if procedures posted on this site are followed .