How to Make UJSSM for Newbies - by StogieFarts

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yaakmt
Novice

Re: How to Make UJSSM for Newbies - by StogieFarts

Post by Yaakmt »

Thank you! I'm a noob and found this very helpful!
49er
Novice

Post by 49er »

I, too, class myself as a noob. My runs to date probably are still in single figures. I have read, and read until my eyes bleed, and am learning new stuff by the day, and love every bit of it. I read SF's thread countless times before I struck a blow, and yesterday started my second generation of UJSSM, and am very grateful to him for reducing the original recipe down to the size that he did! I havn't read the original, but I intend to. If, by doing what he did, he helped anyone, (and he certainly helped me) he is to be applauded.....so here is my applause! :clap: :clap: :clap:
crazywednesday
Novice

Post by crazywednesday »

Nice work! You took 2 weeks worth of reading and broke it down to 20 minutes. Its got more detail in it than I need, but like you said, its for newbs.

mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

I positively appreciate that there are a couple or three threads on this "simple" recipe/subject. At school sometimes a different teacher's approach suited me better or a different textbook and such it is in life, so I'll always be happy to have a couple of different viewpoints as reference.

I can't understand why those who read two or more threads are deemed by some lazier or dumber than those who read only one.
Jerrycan in Japan
Novice

Post by Jerrycan in Japan »

During the spirit run you add all the saved low wines which have high ABV right ? Why doesn't it just explode .

Seriously don't get this part of the process of distillation.

Thanks ,

Shayne
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Jerrycan in Japan wrote:During the spirit run you add all the saved low wines which have high ABV right ? Why doesn't it just explode .

Thanks ,

Shayne
er - BANG ! - why would it ?

Google run HD - Spirit run !
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Jerrycan in Japan wrote:During the spirit run you add all the saved low wines which have high ABV right ? Why doesn't it just explode .

Thanks ,

Shayne
It is either watered down to a safe ABV (I think its 40% that is recommended max), or during the collection of stripping runs they collect in a large vessel and run so deep into tails the total mixture itself ends up at a safe alc%
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Hi,

I started my first ujssm batch today and followed this thread... Cause I am still a newbie.

But my Sg reading is far away from the one given here!

I have:
6.25L of water (1.6G)
1Kg granulated sugar (2.2lbs)
1Kg oat flakes (2.2 lbs)

Calculated from this recipe:
1G water
1.4 lbs sugar
1.4 lbs corn

I mixed (very well) the flakes and the sugar with the water . And took my reading: 1.048 @25C so 6% potential alcohol.

Stoegie says I should be around 1.066sg. Or between 8-10%.

Did I mess the calcs, or miss something?

I usually run fruit without adding sugar or anything.
Just mash the fruit with little warm water, pitch and let's go. Very basic I know.
So I am not used to sg readings and calcs.
I did the reading how to use a hydrometer and other theory for a long time now. And thought I was ok to try the practice... But I feel a bit lost.

Please someone help me! :wave:

Thanks,

Fred.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Fredistiller wrote:...But my Sg reading is far away from the one given here!...I have...1.048 @25C so 6% potential alcohol...Stoegie says I should be around 1.066sg. Or between 8-10%.

I bet your hydrometer reading is off because the wash was warm when you took the reading. But you're not too far off. So, since you followed the recipe, just let it go. And don't worry so much.
ss

p.s. - and if you're still worried, make another batch right after this one...to see if you still get a low reading...or if your processes need to be honed better.

In the mean time, run whatcha' got...no problem!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Thanks ,

Shayne
You are creating a higher proof beer in your still for the spirit run. The end product will come out at generally the same proof as any other spirot run, but you will get more and with the low wines the product will taste better.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

still_stirrin wrote:
Fredistiller wrote:...But my Sg reading is far away from the one given here!...I have...1.048 @25C so 6% potential alcohol...Stoegie says I should be around 1.066sg. Or between 8-10%.

I bet your hydrometer reading is off because the wash was warm when you took the reading. But you're not too far off. So, since you followed the recipe, just let it go. And don't worry so much.
ss

p.s. - and if you're still worried, make another batch right after this one...to see if you still get a low reading...or if your processes need to be honed better.

In the mean time, run whatcha' got...no problem!
Thanks ss!

I 'll do like a Disney princess and.... let it goooo..... :D
tjans
Novice

Post by tjans »

rad14701 wrote:The amount of spirits collected on the first stripping run, a 1/2 gallon from a 3 gallon boiler charge, sounds a bit low... :think:

Not to be a prick but it just sounds like a long drawn out repetition of the original UJSSM recipe initial post by someone who has only made it to the second generation... A lot of typing to say the same thing over again in my opinion... There's a lot of fundamental crap in there that novices should already know before attempting UJSSM... I wouldn't consider any multiple generation wash to be a wise choice for a "Newbie", as you put it...

This is more of a heads-up to any novices reading this topic rather than a personal knock against you, StogieFarts, and when things go to shit those novices will have to rely on members with more experience with the original recipe for help... Just a further fragmentation of the forums as I see it...
I know this is old but I found this post really nice and it called out a few things I might have missed from not seeing it expanded like this. Thanks for posting this, Stogie. I used my Homebrew experience to get a great Fermentation. It's exploding right now!
Dedant
Novice

Post by Dedant »

Awesome summary of your journey so far . Thank you. Not too much reading for this befuddled old fart to follow. Last corn rye sour mash I ran over toasted oak chips and spirals has turned out fantastic. I will try UJ once my new still is completed. You have made the whole process easier to understand , again , thank you :thumbup:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

This thread is slicker than an oiled up white at a fishin derby :thumbup: :lol:
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Fastham
Novice

Post by Fastham »

So my recipe looked like this:

4 x Gallons of Water
5.6 Ibs of Sugar
5.6 Ibs of Cracked Corn
Yeast (I used a couple tablespoons worth)

First, I measured out the corn and dumped that into the empty bucket.

Then, I measured out the sugar and did the same. Finally, I added the water and mixed it up real good!

Finally, add your yeast!
an .[/quote]

Real newbie question,
Was the water warm to dissolve the sugar.? I.e. 30 deg C on top of the corn, or was it just cold water.?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Fastham wrote:Real newbie question:
Was the water warm to dissolve the sugar.? I.e. 30 deg C on top of the corn, or was it just cold water.?
The sugar will dissolve much easier in warm to hot water.

But, without gelatinization and enzymes the corn will not contribute to the fermentables (which is appropriate for this UJSSM recipe). So, the corn will just add to the grain flavor and help buffer the wash’s pH from crashing. Also, the lowered pH from generational ferments will help acidification for subsequent ferments. But you should moderate this effect through the generations as noted in the recipe.

However, if you add hot water to the bucket to dissolve the sugar, then you’ll need to cool it to 85-90*F (31-32*C) before pitching the yeast, otherwise you could shock, or kill the yeast all together.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
IRONHEAD272
Novice

Post by IRONHEAD272 »

Stogie, I want to thank you for this thread. The original UJSSM thread is so long and difficult reading. You broke this down very simply. I had given up on trying this about a year ago because I could find the answers to some questions I had. You did a good and I hope others don't take offense to your post.

Thanks again.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I really don't understand why people find the original UJSM thread as written by Uncle Jesse so hard to understand.
You don't need to read all 338 pages of it or how ever many there are. Just read the first post / Recipe .....follow the recipe.....distill the finished wash and you have UJSM.
Oak it or drink it as White Dog.
Don't over think it people ..it really is that simple.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=725
IRONHEAD272 wrote: I had given up on trying this about a year ago because I could find the answers to some questions I had.
Don't ever be afraid to ask questions is the moral to that story..... its how a lot of people learn best. ...There are many people here who are only to happy to answer and help you on your way. :thumbup:
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

I started my first UJSSM a week and a half ago after reading this thread. If I need to start a new thread, let me know.

It's been chilly where I live up until recently, so although the fermentation didn't go crazy, it was bubbly enough to satisfy me. This morning the floating grain finally fell and the bubbling stopped.

I measured the starting S.G. using my brix meter. It was 15, which correlates to an S.G. of 1.061 approximately. I just now measured the brix and it was 7, which correlates to 1.028. I was expecting something below 1.0.

Is this okay? Should I run it and start a new batch?
IMG_1138.JPEG
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> I measured the starting S.G. using my brix meter. It was 15, which correlates to an S.G. of 1.061 approximately. I just now measured the brix and it was 7, which correlates to 1.028. I was expecting something below 1.0.

If you believe in the ability to mathematically correct for the presence of alcohol then your refractometer readings result in a final gravity of 1.007

See http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow for one such correction routine.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

That's a better brix converter. Thanks. So, go ahead and run it?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> So, go ahead and run it?

Yeah ... run it.

Bombo80
Novice

Post by Bombo80 »

greggn,

Nice calculator for brix.

Although it is known that after fermentation starts a hydrometer should be used and not a refractometer. the alcohol in the wort throws the calculations off, and creates confusion.

That said, I will try that onebeer calculator and see how accurate it is when comparing the readings taken with a hydrometer.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Bombo80 wrote:That said, I will try that onebeer calculator and see how accurate it is when comparing the readings taken with a hydrometer.

Unless you're comparing calibrated devices then which measurement do you consider "true" ?

I've made comparisons and I find the corrected refractometer readings to be slightly lower than those of my narrow-range, final gravity hydrometer. Where the refractometer calculates to 0.990 the precision hydrometer reads 0.992. That difference doesn't worry me. I'm more concerned that the refractometer is consistent (versus accurate). My historical notes serve to confirm that I should produce the product I want when using the numbers reported by either device. That's where I find consistency is more valuable than accuracy.

stevexxx
Novice

Post by stevexxx »

Could someone please tell me if Gallons refers to US gallons or imperial gallons as there is quite a difference, US gallon = 3.785 litres and Imperial gallon = 4.54 litres Thanks...
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Pretty sure it will be in US 'Freedom Units' and not Imperial.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
stevexxx
Novice

Post by stevexxx »

I expected it might be, thanks...
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If you read the original recipe in the Tried and True recipe section... .you will see that quantities are also in Kg and Litres.
Seeing as the recipe was written by and is on a forum owned by an American Id guess any referance to Gals will be US gal.
wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck »

Stogiefarts - have you ever done anything with the grey corn you scrape between generations? I'm cooking some now, to see if I can get any sugars out. It's pretty thick, so I'm thinking theres some potential there. Anyone else ever do this?
- The Doubler (5 gal pot w/thumper)

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

wpkluck wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:53 pm Stogiefarts - have you ever done anything with the grey corn you scrape between generations? I'm cooking some now, to see if I can get any sugars out.
You might be waiting a while for an answer, Stogie hasn't logged in since 2013.