How to Make UJSSM for Newbies - by StogieFarts

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How to Make UJSSM for Newbies - by StogieFarts

Post by lampshade »

thatguy1 wrote:Would like you thank you for taking the time to fully detail your procedure. There are a lot of things that are cleared up in your write up, things that newbies would mess up the first time around.

Not to take anything away from the original thread, but that thing is a monstrosity. Nobody likes reading through that many pages just to find answers to their questions because it feels like a Texas longhorn, there's a point here, and a point there, with a whole lotta bull in between.

Thanks again!
This is a recipe for newbies to follow and learn from. It teaches, like all good teaching material, by repetition. Experts should stick with the original UJSSM thread.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

UJSSM recipe is a simple recipe. And I don't see a problem with the original thread. What's so hard about mix some corn sugar and water together. Add some yeast and let it ferment. After you run it take 25% of the backset melt the sugar. Then add it back to the fermenter and top off with water. And let it ferment again. And repeat. Everyone makes it harder then it needs to be.

But hey what do I know. I'm not a rocket scientist.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

I am a rocket scientist and I think this thread is useful. As was mentioned before, one of the problems with the original UJSSM thread is multiple redundant queries, not to mention its length. Since UJSSM is so popular, it is nice to see a thread that distills the original thread to it's essence, yet elaborates to address all of those queries once. Of course, this thread runs the danger of being adulterated, as was the original UJSSM thread, with multiple redundant queries and criticisms. I hope not.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Everything needed to know is laid out in Uncle Jesse's first post in his original thread. Is it not?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

I for one love sitting down with a coffee in the morning and reading a well created article or procedure for 30 mins or so. When a procedure is so well detailed like this there is little room for error and you can almost play through the entire thing in your head.

Experts don't need such hand holding, but newbies need it.

I look forward to more of your detailed writeups on your procedure if you happen to do more washes.

Thanks!

PS - I just started three 15L washes of this recipe. After 1 hour all are bubbling and the process is started :)

Pail 1 SG: 1.066
Pail 2 SG: 1.068
Pail 3 SG: 1.066
yeastherder
Novice

Post by yeastherder »

I also enjoyed this post. It is very well organized and to the point. It took me several weeks to read through the original UJSSM post and that was when it was only 168 pages :wtf: That original post is so large it is extremely difficult for new people - like me - to grasp it. Thanks for taking the time to document your procedure. This is a big help to me.
hotrodelrod
Novice

Post by hotrodelrod »

Thank you for giving your time to help us rookie distillers. Sometimes things are made harder than they need to be. And there will always be critics!
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

This forum in chalk full of veteran distillers that have forgot how daunting it was to make a wash and distill a wash for their first time. This post makes sense of all the crap. I agree, good job.
Cutt
Novice

Post by Cutt »

Thanks SF.

A large thread is a daunting task for an excited newbie to conquer when they are anxious to get started. I worked my way into this backwards. I sat for days in front of the computer and watched almost every YOUTUBE video there is. I picked up the pieces of my very crude still from different sources. Slapped them together and then I made my sugar/corn meal mash as an afterthought. Not really the best way to go. After a third run, the first one that I could call successful, of some upper level proof liquor, it lights easliy on a spoon and the flame disappears in the sunshine, I am quickly coming to the realization that taste and smoothness is what I'm after. I do like the 100 proof for a quick hit once in a while.

That being said, keep rolling and thanks again.
Step up or step aside.
CzBrewer
Novice

Post by CzBrewer »

I needed to add to the choir here... Thanks SF!! :clap:

After all the reading I've done on this site (tons) & all the knowledge I've gained (in many aspects I never thought about before coming here), it was this thread that actually made this process NOT overwhelming for me! I think it was the way you distilled it down to the basics (pun intended), with a focus on the step-by-step aspect that made me finally think, "Ok, I've done enough reading...I'm ready." I'm about to run my spirit run & have you, SF, to thank for helping me get off the starting line & to this point.

I will say, though, for any newbies of the "haven't done anything yet" variety, one does still need to read a lot more than just this thread to do this well (yeast varies greatly & they are PICKY little things...all I'm gonna say). But, for laying it all out like a "getting started guide," this thread is tops! :thumbup:
njscofflaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by njscofflaw »

thatguy1 wrote:This forum in chalk full of veteran distillers that have forgot how daunting it was to make a wash and distill a wash for their first time. This post makes sense of all the crap. I agree, good job.

I wouldn't go that far to say they've forgotten, quite the opposite. These guys have put in the time and effort to research and actively seek out knowledge for their craft. They're happy to help those that help themselves (in my experience). This is not the place for egos and showoffs, especially if you're new.

In younger generations (mine and younger, I'm in my mid 30s). There has been this growth of "passive research", you know, when you let the research come to you instead of putting forth the effort to answer your own questions, of course there are exceptions and gray areas to that as well. With the rise in popularity of the Internet in the last 20 years, people are often looking for immediate answers to be spoonfed to them, and in turn have very little patience to learn "the right way" to do many things, and more times than not, very little effort is put forth to research an answer to a problem.

I'm new just like many people around here, my interests in this art were strictly passive and historical for many years, I was giving a lecture on a historical aspect of a topic that has some overlap with all of this, and I figured what a better way to understand the history than to dive into it all. I've been hooked ever since and have read as much as I can on the topic, books, articles, forum posts, etc. I've had many mistakes along the way, and so far, there hasn't been one that wasn't thoroughly covered multiple times over.

As an example, My latest project is to build a parrot, so I researched parrots. IN that research, there were plenty of folks who wanted a step by step on the topic detailing every part, hole drilled, despite the oodles of pictures present of parrot designs. It's one of those things (like a still) that can easily be built by looking at a picture (talking simple first potstill here), and an understanding of what it's used for and how it works. In reading many forum posts, there seems to be a lot of walking before running, and skipping to the end and expecting people to fill in the huge knowledge gaps so they don't have to do the work.

Despite the signs being posted on the main sight and ad nauseum on the forums, people still don't seem to follow directions or take the time for a simple HD google search. Nobody wants to be a Novice/Beginner anymore, I don't understand what the hell the personal stigma is with being one. Everyone (and I'm making a broad generalization) wants to be an expert without really knowing what an expert is. Is it bragging rights?? who knows. On the plus side, it makes for interesting and entertaining reading.

These guys have been around here for a looong time, so you can't fully fault them for being a little jaded on going around the same track 100,000 times. Of course, each person can react differently, so I'm not saying that being an A-hole about it is always the best approach either (hey sometimes it is :) ), but that's not a topic I'm going to get involved in.

I had no problems understanding UJ's sour mash directions, or any other recipe I've found on here. I also researched for 3 months before I built my first still, and had an understanding of the distillation process, and made sure I knew what everything meant. I've read that recipe more times than I care to admit :)

That being said, if StogieFarts (what a username lol) detailed instructions help people, then that's really great, and it was really genuine of SF to take the time to try to help others out, but sometimes a little "Darwinian Survival" (I don't mean death, I mean giving up and moving on) is best, especially when what you potentially do can affect the rest of us.

my two cents as an FNG for years to come.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

A large thread is a daunting task for an excited newbie to conquer when they are anxious to get started.
A large thread that has all the info you really need to know in the first post. The original recipe. So now we need a second thread about the very same thing. That will grow to some ridiculous page count. And keep others from reading it. Because its to long.

I didn't forget where I came from. I learned to make UJSSM from UJ's post. I found it quite simple. But then again I did a lot of research. And put the time and effort in to understand what all the meanings of the funny words were. Before I attempted it. I guess that the difference. I wanted to learn as much as possible before I just jumped in with two feet. Where many just want to grab a recipe throw it in a pot. And hope for the best. Or on the other hand those that think it has to be exact. When there is a good amount of leeway with all the tried and true recipes. That why they are there.

You will find a UJSSM recipe thread on every distiller forum out there. Along with many other distilling sites. And most of the time it has not been altered. And posted in its original form. With respect to UJ. And the fact that it is one of the best, easiest, and widely used recipes out there.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
bowhunt76
Swill Maker

Post by bowhunt76 »

Prairiepiss wrote:
A large thread is a daunting task for an excited newbie to conquer when they are anxious to get started.
A large thread that has all the info you really need to know in the first post. The original recipe. So now we need a second thread about the very same thing. That will grow to some ridiculous page count. And keep others from reading it. Because its to long.

I didn't forget where I came from. I learned to make UJSSM from UJ's post. I found it quite simple. But then again I did a lot of research. And put the time and effort in to understand what all the meanings of the funny words were. Before I attempted it. I guess that the difference. I wanted to learn as much as possible before I just jumped in with two feet. Where many just want to grab a recipe throw it in a pot. And hope for the best. Or on the other hand those that think it has to be exact. When there is a good amount of leeway with all the tried and true recipes. That why they are there.

You will find a UJSSM recipe thread on every distiller forum out there. Along with many other distilling sites. And most of the time it has not been altered. And posted in its original form. With respect to UJ. And the fact that it is one of the best, easiest, and widely used recipes out there.

i am gonna throw a +1 on this

not tryin to hate and fully admit to my noobness as well but the original post is quite easy to follow and as p states layed out on the first page..
my shizzle......13gal 3" vm.http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=19748

E. CLAMPUS, VITUS....HANG THE BASTARD
CzBrewer
Novice

Post by CzBrewer »

As a noob who's benefited greatly from this thread, I want to set something straight (defend myself??). I'm seeing unnecessary & somewhat disparaging commentary about noobs not spending enough time, or noobs not wanting to be seen as a noob, or noobs not wanting to do the necessary reading, etc...and I'm sure there are some of those. But, to a great degree, I respectfully suggest the disparagers are missing the point, and are assigning character and/or intelligence flaws to a whole group of people who don't deserve it.

It's very well known that people learn in different ways. Three ways, in fact: reading, watching, or doing. Your brain literally prefers one of those methods for best comprehension. This forum is great for people who learn best by reading. And there are vids on YouTube for those who learn best by watching. So, readers and watchers can still learn online in their brains' preferred ways. Now, for those who learn best by doing a task, like me, there's no way to learn in our brain's preferred manner from an online resource...and that's sometimes overwhelming. The next best thing for the doing-type learner is a step-by-step outline. A hand-holding, if you will. The experience, itself, on paper.

I am not stupid, nor do I have poor reading comprehension skills. I don't care if I appear to be a noob...I typically don't care what complete strangers think of me. I have done a TON of reading on this site and have learned probably more than I need to for my purposes. All that being true, an outline of the process still gives me the *confidence* to begin on a first-time project that has a big learning curve, and a down side that I want to avoid (failure). So, I very respectfully ask that the experienced posters here not poison the well of knowledge against noobs, with suppositions that we're lazy, a new generation, don't care enough, etc...

If I've stepped on toes, I am truly sorry, as that wasn't my intent at all! I am just not looking to deal with preconceived notions about who I am, just because I'm inexperienced and I learn differently than others...ya know? :thumbup:

Pam
njscofflaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by njscofflaw »

CzBrewer wrote:As a noob who's benefited greatly from this thread, I want to set something straight (defend myself??). I'm seeing unnecessary & somewhat disparaging commentary about noobs not spending enough time, or noobs not wanting to be seen as a noob, or noobs not wanting to do the necessary reading, etc...and I'm sure there are some of those. But, to a great degree, I respectfully suggest the disparagers are missing the point, and are assigning character and/or intelligence flaws to a whole group of people who don't deserve it.

It's very well known that people learn in different ways. Three ways, in fact: reading, watching, or doing. Your brain literally prefers one of those methods for best comprehension. This forum is great for people who learn best by reading. And there are vids on YouTube for those who learn best by watching. So, readers and watchers can still learn online in their brains' preferred ways. Now, for those who learn best by doing a task, like me, there's no way to learn in our brain's preferred manner from an online resource...and that's sometimes overwhelming. The next best thing for the doing-type learner is a step-by-step outline. A hand-holding, if you will. The experience, itself, on paper.

I am not stupid, nor do I have poor reading comprehension skills. I don't care if I appear to be a noob...I typically don't care what complete strangers think of me. I have done a TON of reading on this site and have learned probably more than I need to for my purposes. All that being true, an outline of the process still gives me the *confidence* to begin on a first-time project that has a big learning curve, and a down side that I want to avoid (failure). So, I very respectfully ask that the experienced posters here not poison the well of knowledge against noobs, with suppositions that we're lazy, a new generation, don't care enough, etc...

If I've stepped on toes, I am truly sorry, as that wasn't my intent at all! I am just not looking to deal with preconceived notions about who I am, just because I'm inexperienced and I learn differently than others...ya know? :thumbup:

Pam
I think there's a fair amount of generalizing and broad strokes being cast from both sides. I don't think anyone has to spell out the fact that we all know that there are exceptions to this.

I didn't see you singled out directly in ANY of those posts. There's no need to develop a persecution complex over it. It's a "friendly" discussion that happens to have opposing opinions. I do however, believe you're missing the point.

Read through some of the threads..and I mean REALLY read through them and find out how many people ask the same rehashed items when the answers couldn't be more blatantly available. Some of them are so blatant even as a newcomer, you have to raise an eyebrow. Now, do this for 10 years + and field the same questions from 1000s of people asking the same things all because they didn't RTFM or because "This is the way they did it on that one TV show". You have to admit it would probably sour you a bit as well.

As far as the whole "nobody wants to be the new guy" comment. Again it was intentionally broad, and something I see in my generation and younger more and more. Everyone wants to be an expert, in a percentage of "everyone" very few want to put the time in and sometimes its obvious. Maybe its just the culture of what I'm involved with IRL, in that case, I need some new people to be around :).

I don't think anyone is trying to poison the well. The well is FULL of information. People are here to help, at least that's the tone I take away from all of this. You know the old adage "Teach a person to fish....". Newcomers have been thoroughly welcomed. I know I was.

I'm quite new to this hobby, but I've experienced this in other areas of interest. While I try to be diplomatic about things, it sure can become annoying when all of this effort has been put forth to compile all of this collective knowledge only to have people bypass it because they can't be bothered by doing a little research. Is that a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everyone, absolutely and logically. But for the amount of times I've tripped over such a thread, you can't deny that it's pretty commonplace, and psychologically its draining to have to rehash the same answers again and again for some of these guys that have taken on the challenge to help the serious newcomers.

If you don't behave that way, then good on you! Way to research put your effort in! (that was sincere btw not sarcastic). But realize that some people, well some people aren't as motivated as you.

SF was gracious enough to try to throw some of those people a bone that might need a little push. I personally don't see an issue with that, nor did I have an issue following the original recipe and steps, but hey, everyone's mileage varies. The relevance / need for the detailed recipe had no correlation to my statements and was not an argument I wished to immerse myself in.
yeastherder
Novice

Post by yeastherder »

This is really amazing to me. There are over a dozen people that said this post was helpful and there are probably more who think so but just don’t take the time to post it. The fact that it helped anyone at all should validate that it serves a purpose and adds value. But yet others feel the need to declare this post is a waste because it repeats what is already in the original UJSSM post (true, nothing in here that isn’t in the original post or somewhere else on this forum). But the value for me is he took what is buried in 190+ pages and condensed it to 1 very detailed page of what he did and had success with. UJ’s original post was a recipe. This post is an example and examples are helpful when you are learning something for the first time. Just try to learn calculus without any example problems.

It does strike me as funny that as a newbie all I hear is Read, Read, Read, and Read some more. That’s what the veterans say I should do and I want to do this the right way and be successful. So yea, I read all 190+ pages of the original post as well as every other post, books, etc. I can get my hands on (I’ve been reading for the last 6 months and have yet to distill anything). But all the while you have to separate the wheat from the chaff, what information is relevant to what your learning to what is not and what is just plain wrong. So naturally that leaves some things open to doubt…did I understand that correctly. I then come across this post and think to myself that it was a nice summation of everything I learned and clarifies some of the doubts I had and its even specific to UJSSM. I then get knocked for liking the post because I should have known that “everything I need is on the first page of the original UJSSM post”. Furthermore, if I need something like SF’s detailed example then I am either “ making it more complex than it needs to be, after all its just sugar water, corn and yeast” or worse, “I am lazy and want someone to spoon feed me all the answers”. All because I found value in a well written post. Nice!
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

Wow, I think I see a business opportunity for the experts. Let's face it, new members to this forum find it is difficult to learn the craft, if all they have to learn from is this forum. Unfortunately for these new members, this forum is not a tutorial; instead, this forum is a clearing house for experienced members to share their ideas and knowledge to push the envelop of craft distilling.

Given that, I think Dnder, Tater, Uncle Jessie, Rad, LWTCS, Mr. P, Mash Rookie, myles, etc. could write an eBook, to sell to newbies, that presents their collective wisdom and knowledge about the art of craft distilling. I know I would love to buy that eBook.

And, this eBook could be updated to address questions that arise from newbies, generating additional income for the authors.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

like they say on the boob tube "its so easy a cave man can do it"
as for this thread being better than the other? don't thank so its just not cluttered------- yet.
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

This thread is better there is no question about that. I was able to learn in 30 minutes what would of taken me weeks. That is efficiency. Almost every business and process I know of rates efficiency as the number one attribute to reaching your goal. I made a great product already and am enjoying it right now. Nobody wants to read 90+ pages when only about 5% of those pages are actual good points.

The rites of passage to this hobby should not be judged on how much crap you have to read to get the real information, but the amount of time you put in to real experimentation and refining your skill. Getting the proper information is most efficient in compact threads. Another problem that arises in large threads is there is a ton of bad information. How is a newbie supposed to tell between bad advice and good advice? It's not as easy as a vet may think.

In other forums I participate on (not distilling forums, but other hobbies,) it is general practice to consolidate threads after they have got too big and make a good FAQ/summary new thread, however have links to the old thread just in case people want to read through it. Nobody wants to take away the credit from the pioneers of the original thread!
CzBrewer
Novice

Post by CzBrewer »

Ok... I've already said what I came to say, but after your comment, njscofflaw, I will add:
1. Quit generalizing a whole group as lazy, stupid, whatever...and you won't have the "exceptions" from said group telling you to stop.
2. I have never had a persecution complex...at least not since grade school. Defending noobs doesn't mean I feel persecuted...lol. It means I think they don't deserve it, and that you don't need to appoint yourself the "senior noob in charge" of the dressings-down.
3. Glad you're ok with SF "throwing a bone to those whose mileage varies." What a classy guy. :clap:
4. If the repetitive questions drain you psychologically, maybe it's time to take a break from HD...?
5. The moderators don't need your protection from repetitive noob questions. I'm sure they can handle it without your input.
6. If you have nothing relevant to say-----> :silent:
7. I am DONE with this crap, njscofflaw. I will not be responding further to you about this issue, as it's not relevant to my learning UJSSM & I don't come here to waste time. I've said all I have to say.
Last edited by CzBrewer on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Good write up stogie, must have taken you a long long long time to get that all together let alone type it all!. Quiet stupid all the un related comments on here, waist of time and energy that could be going into constructive discussion. Have a drink fellas and think about your next run/wash/build.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
CzBrewer
Novice

Post by CzBrewer »

googe wrote:Good write up stogie, must have taken you a long long long time to get that all together let alone type it all!. Quiet stupid all the un related comments on here, waist of time and energy that could be going into constructive discussion. Have a drink fellas and think about your next run/wash/build.
Indeed!! Gonna go make two washes right now! :thumbup:
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

I don't know what's so hard about making a new thread like this:

"UJSSM Part 2 - Consolidated Thread"

Hi everyone the original post is available here: Old UJSSM Thread Part 1

Below is a summary of the points discussed in the old thread:

- Original Recipe
- A simple FAQ with the common questions answered.
- Anything else...

It really ups the quality of the forum and will cut down on a ton of this bickering.

Not trying to step on any toes here as the mods are active and doing a great job.. this is just a suggestion that I've seen on countless other forums.

Thanks,

tg
njscofflaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by njscofflaw »

CzBrewer wrote:Ok... I've already said what I came to say, but after your comment, njscofflaw, I will add:
1. Quit generalizing a whole group as lazy, stupid, whatever...and you won't have the "exceptions" from said group telling you to stop.
2. I have never had a persecution complex...at least not since grade school. Defending noobs doesn't mean I feel persecuted...lol. It means I think they don't deserve it, and that you don't need to appoint yourself the "senior noob in charge" of the dressings-down.
3. Glad you're ok with SF "throwing a bone to those whose mileage varies." What a classy guy. :clap:
4. If the repetitive questions drain you psychologically, maybe it's time to take a break from HD...?
5. The moderators don't need your protection from repetitive noob questions. I'm sure they can handle it without your input.
6. If you have nothing relevant to say-----> :silent:
7. I am DONE with this crap, njscofflaw. I will not be responding further to you about this issue, as it's not relevant to my learning UJSSM & I don't come here to waste time. I've said all I have to say.
:crazy: :crazy:

You're a very angry person aren't you?
shinyhead
Bootlegger

Post by shinyhead »

njscofflaw wrote:
CzBrewer wrote:As a noob who's benefited greatly from this thread, I want to set something straight (defend myself??). I'm seeing unnecessary & somewhat disparaging commentary about noobs not spending enough time, or noobs not wanting to be seen as a noob, or noobs not wanting to do the necessary reading, etc...and I'm sure there are some of those. But, to a great degree, I respectfully suggest the disparagers are missing the point, and are assigning character and/or intelligence flaws to a whole group of people who don't deserve it.

Pam
I think there's a fair amount of generalizing and broad strokes being cast from both sides. I don't think anyone has to spell out the fact that we all know that there are exceptions to this.

I didn't see you singled out directly in ANY of those posts. There's no need to develop a persecution complex over it. It's a "friendly" discussion that happens to have opposing opinions. I do however, believe you're missing the point.

Read through some of the threads..and I mean REALLY read through them and find out how many people ask the same rehashed items when the answers couldn't be more blatantly available. Some of them are so blatant even as a newcomer, you have to raise an eyebrow. Now, do this for 10 years + and field the same questions from 1000s of people asking the same things all because they didn't RTFM or because "This is the way they did it on that one TV show". You have to admit it would probably sour you a bit as well.

As far as the whole "nobody wants to be the new guy" comment. Again it was intentionally broad, and something I see in my generation and younger more and more. Everyone wants to be an expert, in a percentage of "everyone" very few want to put the time in and sometimes its obvious. Maybe its just the culture of what I'm involved with IRL, in that case, I need some new people to be around :).

I don't think anyone is trying to poison the well. The well is FULL of information. People are here to help, at least that's the tone I take away from all of this. You know the old adage "Teach a person to fish....". Newcomers have been thoroughly welcomed. I know I was.

I'm quite new to this hobby, but I've experienced this in other areas of interest. While I try to be diplomatic about things, it sure can become annoying when all of this effort has been put forth to compile all of this collective knowledge only to have people bypass it because they can't be bothered by doing a little research. Is that a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everyone, absolutely and logically. But for the amount of times I've tripped over such a thread, you can't deny that it's pretty commonplace, and psychologically its draining to have to rehash the same answers again and again for some of these guys that have taken on the challenge to help the serious newcomers.

If you don't behave that way, then good on you! Way to research put your effort in! (that was sincere btw not sarcastic). But realize that some people, well some people aren't as motivated as you.

SF was gracious enough to try to throw some of those people a bone that might need a little push. I personally don't see an issue with that, nor did I have an issue following the original recipe and steps, but hey, everyone's mileage varies. The relevance / need for the detailed recipe had no correlation to my statements and was not an argument I wished to immerse myself in.
My first question to you sir is this. How long have you been "reading and researching" that it becomes annoying to you? Based on your post count, you are as new to it as the rest of us. I think SF did a great job on this and my thanks go out to him. Some of the people here have that all mightier than thou attitude, and give the cookie cutter response. "Read, read, read then read some more." Frankly from my personal perspective, that becomes quite annoying and condescending. I try to talk to someone in the same manner that I like to be talked to. What I am saying here is that if I wouldn't use that tone to someone's face, I won't do it behind a keyboard either. I for one, do use the google search and if I can't find the answer I am looking for, I just say F#$% it, I'm not gonna ask the question, and have someone come back and tell me, that they found x number of hits pertaining to that question. that's just my take on the topic. Thanks again SF.
njscofflaw
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by njscofflaw »

shinyhead wrote:
My first question to you sir is this. How long have you been "reading and researching" that it becomes annoying to you? Based on your post count, you are as new to it as the rest of us. I think SF did a great job on this and my thanks go out to him. Some of the people here have that all mightier than thou attitude, and give the cookie cutter response. "Read, read, read then read some more." Frankly from my personal perspective, that becomes quite annoying and condescending. I try to talk to someone in the same manner that I like to be talked to. What I am saying here is that if I wouldn't use that tone to someone's face, I won't do it behind a keyboard either. I for one, do use the google search and if I can't find the answer I am looking for, I just say F#$% it, I'm not gonna ask the question, and have someone come back and tell me, that they found x number of hits pertaining to that question. that's just my take on the topic. Thanks again SF.
shinyhead,

I've stated several times that I'm as new as anyone else on here, but I don't see the relevance in post count correlating to experience. That's a tired and pointless argument on any forum.

There's no all mightier than thou attitude, not by any stretch (not from me) and I'm not the least bit angry or fighting a battle. I don't know why everyone is so angry or offended. I never said that anything was bothering me either or annoying me. In a less direct and more detailed post, I was simply stating how an alternate outlook on the whole premise of how many years of repetition for the leadership, could have them on edge and to at least keep that in mind. Apparently this was interpreted into MANY other things that were never said. I went as far as to praise SF for his effort and motivation to put the how to together. I never said it was worthless

There's seems to be a lot of feelings of persecution as if people are being bullied, and picking and choosing comments, or severe misinterpretations, . It's the Internet, if this sort of thing is chapping your ass (not you personally shinyhead) out of a non-hostile discussion/debate, maybe I'm not the one that needs to step back.

At any rate, best of luck to everyone, and here's to keeping that mash in its fermenter shinyhead :) (referencing the blown fermenter discussion going on) I don't see any need for this discussion to continue at least with me in it.

-NJS

-NJS
thatguy1
Novice

Post by thatguy1 »

You kids need to go back to your time-out corners and wipe your noses. You successfully made this great thread in to a fiasco.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

You just contributed thatguy1 :wink: . Me too by commenting on your comment :shock: . Where does it all end?. Maybe pm any probs with each other?. Maybe we could all learn from that?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

I know this is now an older thread but I want to add I think it's great too.

I'm just venturing into my first UJSSM and can honestly say both topics popped up in my google search. Neither are taking from one another but put a different perspective on the same topic. If that's valuable to some members then this thread is doing it's job.

Great work!!

PS I am reading both threads together to glean out the bits I need.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Read, read, read. No substitute, Ujssm is so easy my 13yo can do it. How about a forum entrance exam?
I think you guys forget, this is Uncle Jessie's house be respectful and wipe your feet.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.