First all grain, purest version

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

crtbc
Novice

First all grain, purest version

Post by crtbc »

First all grain after "a couple" sugar head rums, and sugar hear whiskies (sweet feed and UJSSM) decided to make an all grain from the reported grain bill of jack D... 80%corn, 12"rye malt, 8% 6 row malt equates to 13# cracked corn, 2 pounds rye malt and 1.5# 6 row malt and 7 gallons water

Just got all the corn gelatinized (I think) coked for 2+ hours at 200 degrees, just added my rye and barley after getting it cooled down to 150degrees where it will sit for 1.5 hours...then figure it out from there...so far so good, I am excited

...been sitting now for 15 minutes with the rye and barley... it was a gel, goo mess, and maybe 5 minutes after adding I see a noticeable difference in the viscosity.......yipppeeee, have the stove on low to stop/slow the temp drop[
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: First all grain, purest version

Post by corene1 »

crtbc wrote:First all grain after "a couple" sugar head rums, and sugar hear whiskies (sweet feed and UJSSM) decided to make an all grain from the reported grain bill of jack D... 80%corn, 12"rye malt, 8% 6 row malt equates to 13# cracked corn, 2 pounds rye malt and 1.5# 6 row malt and 7 gallons water

Just got all the corn gelatinized (I think) coked for 2+ hours at 200 degrees, just added my rye and barley after getting it cooled down to 150degrees where it will sit for 1.5 hours...then figure it out from there...so far so good, I am excited

...been sitting now for 15 minutes with the rye and barley... it was a gel, goo mess, and maybe 5 minutes after adding I see a noticeable difference in the viscosity.......yipppeeee, have the stove on low to stop/slow the temp drop[
Keep stirring!I don't know if 3.5 pounds of malted grain will fully convert 13 pounds of corn though.
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

And you shouldn't have added the malt in til the temp got down to about 160°f as the high temps will denature the enzymes in the malt that convert the starches in your other grains into sugar for fermentation. So you may end up with low abv% on your mash as a result of adding the malt at such high temps
There's whisky in the jar
crtbc
Novice

Post by crtbc »

midwest shinner wrote:And you shouldn't have added the malt in til the temp got down to about 160°f
I waited till it got to 150 degrees before adding the malted grains
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

Good I'm glad to hear it. Hopefully it works out well for ya. Have fun, be safe and happy stillin
There's whisky in the jar
crtbc
Novice

Post by crtbc »

waited 1.5 hours, then "sparged" (used a paint strainer and mannually massaged the liquid out of the grains... I have 5 gallons of usable wash.. have to cool it down before finding out the SG... I saved 1 cup to do that and oput it in the fridge to find out quicker.... now I have it back in the pot to boil it to sanitize then into a 5 gal bucket for ferment with reg bakers yeast fleishmans i think
crtbc
Novice

Post by crtbc »

ok so maybe I dont want to go whole purist..... I got an ending SG of 1.050.... just shy of 6.5%...cooling down now then will pitch yeast for lock down tonight
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

By my calculation your 16.5 lb grain bill was about 86 points low.

16.5 total pounds of grain needs 16.5 × 30 = 495 diastatic power to give a good conversion.

You had: (2 × 62) + (1.5 × 190) = 409.

If your recipe had more malt it might you to a potential 8%.
I'm goin the distance...
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

crtbc wrote:waited 1.5 hours, then "sparged" (used a paint strainer and mannually massaged the liquid out of the grains... I have 5 gallons of usable wash.. have to cool it down before finding out the SG... I saved 1 cup to do that and oput it in the fridge to find out quicker.... now I have it back in the pot to boil it to sanitize then into a 5 gal bucket for ferment with reg bakers yeast fleishmans i think
Just a note, if your wash is cloudy you won't get a true reading. Let the wash settle in the fermenter without yeast for a few hours and it will clear a bit and you will be able to get a sample that will give you a more accurate reading.
133.jpg
crtbc
Novice

Post by crtbc »

it was cloudy....been having a hard time since the boil to get it down to pitching temp... I plan on leaving it overnight in the sink to cool down while still in the fermenting vat (5 gal bucket) will most likely pitch yeast in the morning

either way, my first all grain under my belt, still very excited, cant wait to run it

BTW.. do you know if the cloudy reading will be higher or lower then actual?
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

a cloudy reading will show slightly higher.
You will like the flavor though. My recipe is basically 10% rye, 20% corn, 30% wheat,40%malted barley and a 1 quart of molasses for every 5 gallons of water. I run 2 pounds of total grain per gallon of water. I really like it. Particularly the slightly sweet finish from the molasses. Just a sweetfeed basically but I can control the amounts and the quality of the grains , very consistent batch after batch, and no misc stuff that come in a bag of sweetfeed. Last bag I used had some cottonseed hulls in it. Good for cows but I am not sure how well it would work in a whiskey.
jollyroger
Swill Maker

Post by jollyroger »

crtbc wrote:ok so maybe I dont want to go whole purist..... I got an ending SG of 1.050.... just shy of 6.5%...cooling down now then will pitch yeast for lock down tonight
That didn't take long...lol :moresarcasm:
Crazed Country Rebel
crtbc
Novice

Post by crtbc »

jollyroger wrote:
crtbc wrote:ok so maybe I dont want to go whole purist..... I got an ending SG of 1.050.... just shy of 6.5%...cooling down now then will pitch yeast for lock down tonight
That didn't take long...lol :moresarcasm:
to be fair, im not turned off by an all grain, but so much time for so little return, especially compared to the returns, cost effectiveness, and time required of sugar heads vs AG.... I guess I will see what the product comes out as,
jollyroger
Swill Maker

Post by jollyroger »

I was just funning ya. I seen a little less than 2 hours between your posts and it tickled me. I ain't picking on ya mean or nothing, just having a chuckle cuz I do the same thing; commit to one thing then change my mind in an hour or 2.
Crazed Country Rebel
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Don't give up. There are so many things you can do with an all grain. Another distiller on here, Jimbo, showed me one. He takes and ferments on the grain then strains after it is finished. then he saves the leftover grains and adds water and some sugar and makes a second ferment so no cooking is involved. He uses some hot back set from his distilling run to dissolve the sugar and then adds water to replace what was pulled out of the fermenter , cools it to yeast temperature and put it back in with the grains and yeast that are already in the bucket. It already has a yeast bed so it takes right off. There you have it. Another fermentation for only the cost of the sugar. I have done this and it tastes pretty darned good. just go easy on the sugar. I only used about 1 pound of sugar for each gallon of water that I returned t the mash bucket.