Satan's Wash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Satan's Wash

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hound Dog ,
That SBPD can also lead to some early divorces . It's a good idea to make sure whose panties you are attempting to drop before you commit to the plan . Don't ask me how I come by this sort of insight :esad:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Truckinbutch wrote:Hound Dog ,
That SBPD can also lead to some early divorces . It's a good idea to make sure whose panties you are attempting to drop before you commit to the plan . Don't ask me how I come by this sort of insight :esad:
LOL! I can see how that can be a problem. I took a couple fifths to an apple butter churning "party" at a farm with some friends. I just knew it was going to be trouble later when i saw that my wife and a group of girls had one bottle almost polished off. When I saw they were breaking into the second bottle, I warned my buddies and just kept clear of the women so there weren't no "misunderstandings"! :angel:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Ga_goat wrote:I sort of understand where you are coming from ,, here almost no one drinks and a pint will last 3 or 4 months , but
I have always messed with it and always will , they would probably call my methods crazy ,, that's why I've always kept it to myself I use all malted corn , no yeast , no sugar , just malt the corn ( sometimes chicken scratch feed ) dry it grind it and run it , 15.5 keg still with a 30" liebig no thumper , 1 run will net me all I need and some to share .
How are you extracting the starch without denaturing the enzymes?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I am curious as well after his tek description. He is using yeast and doesn't know it. Wild yeast, it would seem. It works just fine for him I'm sure.

But I will say "Dry it, grind it, and run it" does leave alot on the table.
Ga_goat
Novice
Location: behind that next palmetto patch , or was it that last one

Post by Ga_goat »

I guess it should have read , malt it , dry it , , grind it , ferment it , run it it sometimes takes me a little longer to ferment but it do ferment ,and I'm after the old slow way anyhow ,, no more than I use . My Grand pa used to make it this way .
Anyone who would give up freedom for security will know neither
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Grind it, ferment it doesn't make any sense though. You are missing a couple very very important steps
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Try fermenting in 5 gal batches, that way if there is waste, it's not that bad

I do my tried and true recipes that I have tested on a 5 gal scale, then feed to the 50gal fermentor (6 people at our flat, all at that partying age...)

also stay away from urea, dap is a perfect nitrogen supplement, I believe rad has played around with some NPK in the 20-20-20 and 15-15-15 and 10-10-10 ranges, a search will find it for ya,

also those cheap fake copper scrubbers will put a wierd taste in as well (i know from experience), next time you buy some let them soak in vinegar for a day or 2, but mostly, they say plated on the wrapping.... mostly

we all make mistakes, when we learn from them, we move on to making better things, I've seen ya around and you're doing good :)
Keep it up
BrooklynBrewer725
Novice

Post by BrooklynBrewer725 »

Bearriver, any new experiments?

My sacrificial run was sugar, dap, and bakers yeast, i described the tails of the distillate (which accounted for a majority) as smelling like "if Satan went out and drank cheap vodka all night, and threw up bile the next morning"

The sick thing is since it was my first run and i was trying to learn and search for cuts, so i kept smelling glasses of distillate until i turned green! Its all i could smell for days.

I blame the bakers yeast (mainly).

I've been using beer yeast since, but want to TRy bakers yeast again, just not sure....
The only stupid questions are the ones you can find the answers to yourself.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I've used distillers yeast for washes. I don't really see that it is any different than my cheap bulk pack of Red Star Baker's yeast from Costco. (Except the price)
Using Google Search

BrooklynBrewer725
Novice

Hound, curious what type of still r u runnin?

Im pretty confident a reflux would give much better results w a wider range of washes and yeasts,
(But ive got a real simple pot still w no packing)

Ive been wanting to try another sugar wash / baker's yeast ferment, but
So much to do and so little time....
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Never discount the effectiveness of bakers yeast... The other brands are not anything magic and they haven't been refined nearly as much as their promoters might want to lead you to believe... It can also ferment to almost 20% ABV, even though we would never recommend intentionally doing so for reasons discussed elsewhere in these forums... But, then again, we wouldn't recommend pushing turbo yeast any higher than bakers yeast either...
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

BrooklynBrewer725 wrote:Hound, curious what type of still r u runnin?

Im pretty confident a reflux would give much better results w a wider range of washes and yeasts,
(But ive got a real simple pot still w no packing)

Ive been wanting to try another sugar wash / baker's yeast ferment, but
So much to do and so little time....
I usually run a LM boka set up. I have a pot still also that I mostly use for stripping but have made a few good whiskey batches with it too.

My favorite recipe is the All Bran using shredded wheat for a bit of wheat flavor. I use the bakers yeast in all the washes though and keep them around 10%. It makes a good whiskey with an all grain feed mix on a pot still.
Using Google Search

BrooklynBrewer725
Novice

I know this thread is old, but

I ran a few hook rum's (sugar/molasses etc) thru my basic pot still using bakers yeast and the results were beautiful.

So my first awful run / satan wash was 1 or 2 reasons:

1. I stressed the yeast out w too much abv and not enough nutrients (i should've used a tried and true recipe)
Or
2. It was the first run and the copper tubing hadn't been thoroughly cleaned / seasoned. Doubtful, but by run 3 the unknown kinks seemed to have smoothed out (although, theres always more unknown kinks to work out ;)

I also talked to some cool guys at New England Distillery and they keep their sugar washes for rum at 8.5%

Moral of the story: bakers yeast works great for sugar washes, use tried and true recipes, and if at first you dont succeed....
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Wow urea hmm I missed seeing this before, Urea is not a good neut to use although high in nitrogen it produces cancer causing compounds when used in fermenting, satan's wash indeed :shock:
http://www.essencia.co.nz/Bulletins/Ure ... Market.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

thecroweater wrote:Wow urea hmm I missed seeing this before, Urea is not a good neut to use although high in nitrogen it produces cancer causing compounds when used in fermenting, satan's wash indeed :shock:
http://www.essencia.co.nz/Bulletins/Ure ... Market.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
There is far too much panic in these forums over urea... Too much urea is bad, yes, but your body requires, makes, and disposes of urea on a daily basis... Even medical sites have addressed peoples concerns... Unless your body becomes overwhelmed with urea, it has no problem purging any excess... Not to mention that very little would carry over during the distillation process...

We do take safety very seriously here and, as many here know, I am one of the biggest proponents... However, having used nutrients containing urea for many years I can attest that it is a relative non-issue for home distillation... My urea levels are at the lower side of normal for humans and I drink at least several ounces of my own spirits each and every day... In fact, you can drink your own urine for several days without crossing the danger threshold in survival situations so . . . . Now, drinking large volumes of urea-laden wash or beer on a regular basis might not be the best idea, however...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK yeah I understood it was quite s bad practice as is the stand elsewhere. I drank shine for many year that had urea in it and have been worried about that fact since being told thus.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Ethyl Carbamate (Urethane) is a known carcinogen (Grade 2 carcinogen – known to produce 
cancer in primates. Recently regraded to the same level of threat as Arsenic and Mercury) 
It is produced in a reaction between urea and ethanol. The levels produced increase 
exponentially when the mixture is heated, particularly during distillation (the level of 
Urethane doubles with every 8oC increase in temperature.)

Ya thats enough to keep me from ever changing my mind about using yeast nutes. Good thing I never use them, ever, in anything. Fresh fruit, all grain mashes, and panela rum runs go off fine without anything added.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Jimbo wrote:Ethyl Carbamate (Urethane) is a known carcinogen (Grade 2 carcinogen – known to produce 
cancer in primates. Recently regraded to the same level of threat as Arsenic and Mercury) 
It is produced in a reaction between urea and ethanol. The levels produced increase 
exponentially when the mixture is heated, particularly during distillation (the level of 
Urethane doubles with every 8oC increase in temperature.)

Ya thats enough to keep me from ever changing my mind about using yeast nutes. Good thing I never use them, ever, in anything. Fresh fruit, all grain mashes, and panela rum runs go off fine without anything added.
I had read this very quote somewhere after my first ferment or two. I have since shied away from products containing urea for my ferments, not because of the urea itself but because of the reaction with ethanol as described. You can get plain DAP with no urea added if you look around. Like Jimbo said though, use a healthy wash/mash and you don't need it. Cereal washes like Rad's All Bran have all the nutes needed if you use a good quality cereal.
Using Google Search