First All Grain and Bran Recipe

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

First All Grain and Bran Recipe

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

With some help from an Amazing Mentor, I have put together an All Grain/Bran Recipe since they do not make the Gerber Barley Cereal anymore. This is a large ferment (32gallons). ImageHere is the recipe...I will let you know how well it turns out...I expect great results...Image

32g Ferment
50lbs Sugar
32g water
40 cups of All grain/bran cereal
2 cups of Red Star active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
32 One-a- Day Vitamins (1 per Gallon)
1/3 cup Miracid 30-10-10
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Re: First All Grain and Bran Recipe

Post by MitchyBourbon »

You probably don't need all those vitamins. The bran cereal will have all the vitamins your gonna need. A typical packet of yeast from a brew shop has 5 to 7 grams or 1 1/2 tsp of yeast for 5 gallons. So 2 cups of yeast is way more than you need. Lemon juice is something you add if you need to lower the ph. I would test your ph to see if it is needed.

Your recipe is close to rads all bran. I'd take a look at that and scale it up. A lot of people have successfully used it so you know it will work.

Good luck.
I'm goin the distance...
BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

MitchyBourbon wrote: Your recipe is close to rads all bran. I'd take a look at that and scale it up. A lot of people have successfully used it so you know it will work. Good luck.
Well Rad is my Mentor, so this recipe is based on his recipe with adjustments with his support...and the airlock is rocking right now...started 30 mins after I sealed the lid...
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I still stand by my post.
I'm goin the distance...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

There are a couple tweaks that I may not have made myself but from this starting point BIGBIRD123 should be able to modify his current experimental recipe to suit his needs... My methodology is to create a starting point and then increase, reduce, or eliminate ingredients... That's part of what keeps things fun in this hobby...
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I like Rads recipe and since I still need a (cleaning and ) sac run I am very much interested in making a similar 32g batch. Will give me a good amount to run a sac even if not cleared. Clean and may product run.
BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

rad14701 wrote:There are a couple tweaks that I may not have made myself but from this starting point BIGBIRD123 should be able to modify his current experimental recipe to suit his needs... My methodology is to create a starting point and then increase, reduce, or eliminate ingredients... That's part of what keeps things fun in this hobby...
What part should I eliminate? Reason I am asking is because the airlock is really rocking.This batch didn't get the fertilizer because I wanted to get it started but will have on the next...
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

If this recipe continues to work as you say it is and works down to 1.000 or close, I would not add fertilizer next time. Rad kinda left his apprentice hanging out there a little with a vauge analysis of your recipe. Beware, bearriver has already adopted Rad!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

We've exchanged a few PM's for clarification purposes only... No actual recipe exacts, per se... I experiment far more than what gets posted here and the results aren't always stellar... Spirits, yes, but wash performance, no... Just poured some rusty mead down the drain...
BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

This is my recipe that I put together and in no way was any attempt to hang Rad out there. I was not going to even use his name until someone else did. It is true we exchanged numerous PM's and he gave me varying degrees of advice up to the point of maybe some "secrets" that he uses. I value his experience, knowledge and advice beyond anything I would have the words to express. I am sorry to have maybe stepped out of line saying that he was "My Mentor". I have always been a learn by experience person and don't ask for much help but I wanted some advice from someone whom I believe to be an expert. I had two others in mind but liked Rad's straight to the point attitude. This recipe is in no way meant to tarnish a stellar member that his is...this recipe was my attempt to put together something to contribute to anyone in the same learning curve as myself...
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Nothin wrong with that. Let the stillin begin.
I'm goin the distance...
BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

It is still rocking along...it has an OG of 1.065
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

MitchyBourbon wrote:Nothin wrong with that. Let the stillin begin.
I am looking forward to distilling this stuff. It was designed to be a representative Appalachian-like whiskey...we will see how that turns out but I do believe it will be a pretty good whiskey anyway...
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

MitchyBourbon wrote:I still stand by my post.
I fully understand and appreciate your comments...didn't want you to think I didn't. I look forward to seeing the results and will give an honest assessment of them. If changes need to be made, I will do so...Just wanted to do something outside the box and see what I could contribute...
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

BIGBIRD123 wrote:
MitchyBourbon wrote:I still stand by my post.
I fully understand and appreciate your comments...didn't want you to think I didn't. I look forward to seeing the results and will give an honest assessment of them. If changes need to be made, I will do so...Just wanted to do something outside the box and see what I could contribute...
Keep us all posted!
I'm goin the distance...
BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

Still bubbling away...probably 1-1.5 per sec...It is at 1.010 sg. Looks like it will take quite a while to clear when finished but smells really good.
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

I started doing stripping runs on this ferment and it starts out at about 150 proof and has some real nice flavor. I now have almost 5gal and working on getting the volume to around 10-12gals so I can do a large spirit run. I guess I forgot about having to dilute this...maybe I might have enough for a good run already...