Newbie's first shot at it.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Newbie's first shot at it.

Post by MoonBreath »

Can't help but to add my $0.02....
I went back to your intro on the Welcome Center ..You stated that you've been "dreaming" of doing this for "22 years"...Did you study at all during those years? ..
My advice would be to start from scratch ...Ditch the pot, the hotplate, the 3/8" worm, and the turbo yeast ...Try a 5gal. pot, a propane, gas, or element source..A 1/2" worm, and bakers or distillers yeast ...Start with a basic/simple Tried & True recipe...
Also, read the Parent Site!... Set yourself up for Success!
Let us know how your progress goes ..Good Luck and Be Safe. :)
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Whitewater
Novice

Post by Whitewater »

No, just started reading about it 3-4 weeks ago. I'm currently reading the parent site.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Whitewater, please be aware that no one here was trying to denigrate you. Look at it as a kind of initiation. Most of us have suffered Rad's wrath at one time or another - best to get it over with from the git-go. If you stick with the hobby, you'll come to appreciate it. Rad kinda grows on you after a while - like a fungus between your toes, but his advice is top notch.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Rad kinda grows on you after a while - like a fungus between your toes, but his advice is top notch.
:clap:
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
BIGBIRD123
Swill Maker

Post by BIGBIRD123 »

Whitewater,
I will guarantee that you will come to appreciate the advice given here and especially Rad's. He ripped me a new one when I came here w/o doing any of the "required" reading but I deserved it and have come to appreciate the loving way he dispenses his advice. He is "Top Notch" as are a few others...

Be safe and enjoy...bottoms up...
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I have had a little experience but still learning all the time. I brew my own beer, and have done a bit of distilling for a few years on a small stove top job (ss stock pot to worm so anything higher proof required multiple runs). Don't be offended by anybody on this site. Take all criticism as constructive. And read read read! Like I said, I still learn more each day. A great book that I got from a local brewing shop twenty years ago is what started my interest. While it won't teach you everything, you will learn a lot. Attached is pic...it's wear is showing lol.
Attachments
book.jpg