Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillLearning1
Trainee

Re: Sour Mash flavored with fruit loops....

Post by StillLearning1 »

I had golden grams on my mind to try out this summer. You guys are giving me a good feeling about it!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rad14701 wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:Interesting....you guys may be onto something. Surprisingly, it does make sense since packaged cereal is often fortified with nutrients as required so they're not simply sugar and puffed nothingness.
That was the whole rationale behind the All Bran recipe... It wasn't so much for the flavor as it was for the nutrients... All Bran is the highest vitamin and mineral fortified cereal on the market, or at least it was when I compiled my data... The nice flavor is just an added bonus...
Bingo Rad.

I just ran my very first "all bran" wash last week. I prepared it exactly to your recipe although I used pizza dough yeast because it was the freshest dry yeast at the grocery store when I was there. It went absolutely "by the book". Fermented fast and steady. OG 1.065. FG 0.996 in about a week.

The distillate off my pot still head was clean with a high of 135 proof. I ran it down to 30 proof and even the tails were very clean. I'm waiting on the next batch (in the fermenters now) so I can strip them and then do a spirit run.

I see that the cereal nutrients have energized the yeast to do its job. Clean and predictable.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I have to say this kid is a prodigy child.

indeed there is a distillery somewhere that will get him a scholarship to one of those high spirit universities where they teach all the science of alcohol and distilling....

I am inspired... and i can actually see a batch coming at my place, but i gotta ask...

how is the buzz you get when you drink this stuff?
:crazy: do you get fruity or do you just get loopy? :lolno:

sorry i just couldnt help it....

i do want to commend you for the follow through with tasting notes and your experiments, and updating the progress... your son could be one of the youngest people in our history to make it to the tried and true recipes.

nothing like a fathers glowing pride of a sons accomplishments. and you should be.

Thank You
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Sorry been busy trying to get out of the 1920's era of copper pots. Going to try electric with a keg and a thump from a smaller wood barrel i been saving. That honey graham is funny cuz we were in grocery store and i spent 20 minutes looking at cereals..lol! I bet the fruity pebbles wud be the same as fruit loops in the end product.I did see a cereal with dried strawberries that might be interesting.
Is your life worth.."Better fix that next time"????
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Well, fruit loops is fine and all, but I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs. :moresarcasm:
I'm goin the distance...
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

cinnamon toast crunch?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I've been afraid this would eventually happen....
sale.jpg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

How's that fast aging coming along, Gunny?
I'm not sure what your recipe for this is, I think you are adding the cereal to a UJ?
I'm going all the way, for the "single malt" Froot Loop version, using nothing but the delicious Loops.
froot01.jpg
I got about 12# of cereal and, because I didn't want to fight them floating around in the mash water, I ground it up in my corona. It was effortless work to pulverize the loops into dust.
froot02.jpg
froot03.jpg
I added about 8 gallons boiling water to the cereal and it set right up like you expect corn to do. I added some SEBStar-HTL and let it set for about 3 hours.
When it got down to about 150F, I added 1/2 cup lemon juice to adjust pH and added SEBAmyl and let set for a few hours.
The Froot Loops converted quite nicely, I wound up with SG 1.056 and pitched baker's yeast. It's fermenting great today.
froot goo.jpg
I'll update when I run it. Dedicating this one to your son, NcGunny! Toucan Sam would be proud.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

I am watching you on this one MCH...
Keep those reports coming
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

HOLY LOOPY FRUIT CEREAL MichiganCornHusker!!!! If you could just can up some of that wonderful aroma i would gladly pay postage.

so it takes some of that enzyme to get the full potential of the corn in the cereal? i got to figure out where to get summa that... cant wait for your report on the progress.

my big problem though is that Fruit loops are on sale here.... for $7.39 a box hmmm so 12 pounds? ouch

and i have to say the pile of boxes hahah that seems like something i have seen when i woke up and didnt know how i got there.....

I LOVE IT!
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Your fruit loops mash looks like a nasty dunder pit there janitor...i mean MC lol. Sorry, had to put a kool-aid based joke in there.

Tried that cinna-bon vodka. Crappy cuts but the flavor is amazing...cinnamon toast crunch mash anyone?
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

moosemilk wrote:Your fruit loops mash looks like a nasty dunder pit there janitor...i mean MC lol. Sorry, had to put a kool-aid based joke in there.

Tried that cinna-bon vodka. Crappy cuts but the flavor is amazing...cinnamon toast crunch mash anyone?

There is a cinnabon cereal!!!! Kellogg's makes it.

If your making sugar head, wouldn't pretty much any cereal work? I'd assume they all have enough nutrients to work.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Rastus wrote: If you could just can up some of that wonderful aroma i would gladly pay postage. so it takes some of that enzyme to get the full potential of the corn in the cereal? $7.39 a box hmmm so 12 pounds? ouch
Ha, be careful what you wish for, Rastus, the wonderful aroma we have in our minds is different from the real aroma of Froot Loops. As NcGunny says "No specific fruit comes to mind at all..." These buckets smell unnatural, inhuman, even unearthly. Some kind of phosphorescent funk for the nose. Perhaps I should have cut this with some cracked corn! But I did get a good deal on the Loops. I couldn't justify $30 for 10#, even on sale, but I got to talking to someone about it, and they knew someone who knew someone, and next thing you know I had the boxes in hand. I live not far from the place where they actually make these things, so folks who work there get all sorts of discounted goods.
moosemilk wrote:Your fruit loops mash looks like a nasty dunder pit there janitor...i mean MC lol. Sorry, had to put a kool-aid based joke in there.
Janitor is about right (sorry, Janitor), this is bound to make a wacky drop. Looks much nicer than my real dunder pit, though. :sick: Every time I look at it I think of Googe's Green Goo. (No offense, Googe)
StillLearning1 wrote:If your making sugar head, wouldn't pretty much any cereal work? I'd assume they all have enough nutrients to work.
rad14701 wrote:That was the whole rationale behind the All Bran recipe... It wasn't so much for the flavor as it was for the nutrients... All Bran is the highest vitamin and mineral fortified cereal on the market, or at least it was when I compiled my data... The nice flavor is just an added bonus...
One man's All Bran is another boy's Froot Loops.
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Sorry i been busy as hell lately... So..I told ya the cap looks like a mess...lmao. i did a experiment with the bags of Off Brand fruitloops...forget it! Something is different with that stuff..took a pic but my SD card on phone took a dump. The cap looked like a greasy top of a outhouse pit. So been +/- two months since initial run and flavor is holding nicely. My fast age came out decent but I didnt appreciate the oak aging flavor quite as much as my Test Dummies did.(of course they would drink piss if it was over 80 proof)lol. I am gunna go out on a limb and say nobody bother with the off brands of cereal for this.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

NcGunny wrote: i did a experiment with the bags of Off Brand fruitloops...forget it!
Good to know. I was actually in search of cheaper generic Loops when my care package arrived.
The smell coming off the ferment is intense. And unwholesome. I'm sure it will make the journey from boiler to mason jar quite intact.
When I opened up all the boxes of cereal, I liked the smell, but I gotta say, now it's kinda creeping me out. It travels through walls.
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Very fragrant type of smell. I hear ya on the creeping smells,i was getting very tired of that last batch. So the generic stuff left this almost lard looking grease scum on the top. It didnt smell right and i noticed salt was way up on the ingrediant listing.Also the stuff i tried had a white looking coating on the fruit loops. I dont know what to tell you about cuts..mine was so flavorful I chucked first 200ml and just started saving in pints in order of run. So pint 10 tasted like pint 2 to me,you know your still in heads but idk..it tasted the same. The only batch i could cut was the original Sour Mash. My recipe i can literally sit blindfolded and have someone watching worm and make cuts from a chair..lol. ( Was just watching the boy eat Goldfish crackers and I had a idea) Grapenuts cereal! Might be almost like a All Bran though. Damn these kids..lmao
MichiganCornhusker
retired

NcGunny wrote:I dont know what to tell you about cuts..mine was so flavorful I chucked first 200ml and just started saving in pints in order of run. So pint 10 tasted like pint 2 to me,you know your still in heads but idk..it tasted the same.
Thanks, I'll collect in 1 gill increments, at least at heads and tails, and let you know what I find. (Been waiting a damn long time to use that in a sentence)
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

I forgot all about mentioning that I probably could have made cuts by the mouth burn. But as far as overall taste..it was pretty much all the same to me. Think I chucked 200 ml then poured out first quart (didnt save due to figuring flavor might carry to another run) then saved it all. Mixed together and tempered it down to 90ish proof. Those first quarts were hot as hell. I gotta make a proofing parrot soon. Also I run all copper and didnt pack the column, made the run just like i was doing rum. If I ever make it again I will hook up the thump to see how it.comes out.Lol..I keep picturing peeps making this in a apt building.
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

That's awesome, MC, be sure to let us know how it turns out :)

That green cap certainly is unsettling...
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Apple Jacks might do something...not sure what but something. :D
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

Husker, the color of that cap is awesome! I'm thinking something along the lines of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I am a bit confused about what you might call it. Do you figure since it is "Fruit" loops, this is actually a brandy? (Hah). Thanks for letting us tag along on your adventures in stilling. I've been thoroughly inspired.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Johnny6 wrote:Husker, the color of that cap is awesome! I'm thinking something along the lines of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I am a bit confused about what you might call it. Do you figure since it is "Fruit" loops, this is actually a brandy? (Hah). Thanks for letting us tag along on your adventures in stilling. I've been thoroughly inspired.
Ha, you're right about the Grinch, it's a real Dr. Seuss color for sure. Green eggs and hooch.
Keep in mind, Kellogg's is very careful to call the cereal "Froot", nothing about this resembles fruit. Perhaps "Brandee".
It seems to be settling down, so I'm going to rack it off into carboys today to settle.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

This is interesting guys, MC it looks like Shrek took a shit in your bucket! :thumbup:
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Perhaps "Brandee".
:lol: :clap:

I wanna taste that stuff when it's done, MC.

Maybe that's the perfect reason to travel over and finally see one of my favorite breweries.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

you crack me up MCH, always one to try new things.
And always great documentation for our enjoyjment!
Don't be a dick
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Swedish..I used to live not far from you. Lived outside Swansboro for years, damn small world..lol
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

If you ever need someone to be a taster you have my number mch.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Gunny, I think you may have me confused with someone else, Just looked up Swansboro, NC right?
According to google it's a good 3500 miles from Ireland :) but I suppose, just around the bend if you have your own personal teleporter :D
Don't be a dick
NcGunny
Bootlegger

Post by NcGunny »

Okay Swedish..there is a beach/tourist trap named Emerald Isle not far from where I lived.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

DSM Loki wrote:If you ever need someone to be a taster you have my number mch.
RandyMarshCT wrote:I wanna taste that stuff when it's done, MC.
I'll definitely share this one, nobody else will understand!