My first spirit run, into the wee hours of the morn....

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

My first spirit run, into the wee hours of the morn....

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Stripped 6 gal of sugar wash last night, then added it to some other low wines I had and did a small spirit run.

The wash was 6lbs of corn sugar and 1.2 lbs of amber LME, as well as a couple lbs each of brown sugar and granulated sugar I added at the last minute cause I over watered my wash and gravity was low. I fermented with EC1118 and it came down in 5 days to .998 from 1.072.
It probably could have kept fermenting for another week, but most of the yeast had flocculated and I didn't think the wait was worth the few extra thousandths of gravity.

The first 200mls of strip came over around 58%.

These are from the strip run.

See next two posts for the rest of the story.
Last edited by Hillbilly Popstar on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first spirit run, into the wee hours of the morn....

I ended up with about a gallon and a half of low wines @ 75 proof.

I threw in another half gallon of low wines and watered down to 30%.

Ended up with close to a 3 gallon charge.
Last edited by Hillbilly Popstar on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Threw out the first 150mls.
(Forgot to mention I also did that on the stripping run.)
Then the next 200mls came over at close to 76%.

I don't even own a parrot, I checked the gravity periodically throughout the process. I also didn't bother looking at the thermometer much.

I collected in 200ml batches and twice during each batch I'd would run spirit between my fingers, rub the spirit in my wrist then cup with my hand to nose the aroma, then I would chew on a tsp of spirit and spit. Wash, rinse, repeat....

First for the feel:
Unfortunately I couldn't really feel any difference between my fingers. All the way through the run I could feel friction between my fingers. If anything I noted slightly varying degrees of pressure required to make my finger tips slip and "stick" with a bit o spirit between them.

Oh the wonderful smells:
I think fores and heads are my favorite smelling of all. That sweat floral, fruity smell just sets me off. Makes me wish I could just take a swig right away.
I never noted any hints of acetone acetone. I even kept a can of pure acetone nearby for comparison.
Anyone care to take a gander why?

Then the fruity/floral flavors gave over to a slight sweetness and neutral smell. A few times it seemed there was no smell at all. Then came the tails. They were sweet at first. Almost as if the heads were making a come back, but this was a slightly different kind of sweet. Got about 300mls like that, then came the skunk (flavor). No wet dog smell (even though I had one laying nearby), but I think I see what yall mean by wet cardboard. It's a very dank and musky odor. And as soon as it became rather apparent, 100mls later I could see the waxy, oily film for on the surface of my distillate.

Taste buds can lie:

First off, tasting is hard. Those first few chews can burn like a summbish. But after a few things go a little numb and the burn gives over to more subtle flavors. So I found my self revisiting a few glasses later.

My first 4-500mls were buttery and fruity. I really liked them. But they burned my whole mouth, cheeks, and under my tongue. Then the burn lessened (see above) and the fruity flavors went away and the buttery warm tastes stayed. I also noted that something in the heads made my lips kind of numb (synonymous with the burn maybe?) Shortly after that the flavor went more neutral. What I took to be hearts were very clean. They sat in the mouth with seemingly no flavor. It just "coat" the inside of my mouth. Then a slight sweetness returned, about the same time the sweet aromas came back. Then 300mls later I could taste a slight skunk hidden behind the sweetness. Then the next glass, whammy, all the nasties came forth. It was time to wrap things up.
I'd also like to note that my favorite portions of the run were the bit right in between the heads and the hearts. They felt warm in my mouth, the buttery/velvety feel was really pleasant to chew on. This was the point that took the most self control to not pour a cup and start swigging away.

All in all I ended up with close to a gallon of distillate. I ran till I got down to 20%.
I am letting them breath for the day, and will try my hand at blending tonight. Each row represents a rough cut.
Last edited by Hillbilly Popstar on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ok, now you can flame me for everything I did wrong.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

high SG, That's all i can think off really, and it's not even all that high.

Looks like you done a total U-turn in attitude from your puke post and read , absorbed and put the info to good use.

I say :thumbup: to a good and well documented run. :clap:
Don't be a dick
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thank you.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

The SG is typical for bourbon, a bit high for malt whisky. It's within whatever range.
But why did you stop the stripping at 75 proof and diluted it to 60? Either you want a more clean whisky, than I would strip to 75 and do the spirit run undiluted, or you want a flavor monster and strip down to 60 proof. Stopping early and watering down would be typical for something like birdwatchers to get as little flavor as possible. But all in all everything is fine. Perhaps after aging on oak you will miss "non-oak" flavors because of that.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

der wo wrote:The SG is typical for bourbon, a bit high for malt whisky. It's within whatever range.
But why did you stop the stripping at 75 proof and diluted it to 60? Either you want a more clean whisky, than I would strip to 75 and do the spirit run undiluted, or you want a flavor monster and strip down to 60 proof. Stopping early and watering down would be typical for something like birdwatchers to get as little flavor as possible. But all in all everything is fine. Perhaps after aging on oak you will miss "non-oak" flavors because of that.
I actually stripped all the way down to 15%. It just ended up at 75 proof by the time I added everything together.

I watered down because I felt the charge was a bit small and didn't want to risk running dry. I didn't give much thought to preserving flavors. The main goal of this run was learn the still and familiarize myself with the process of identifying cuts, and to get myself some drinkable hooch to sip on and share while I keep learning.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Good job man. Proud of ya. What a turn-around.
Normally, my strip runs take around 4 1/2- 5hrs. Yesterday, I ran an all heads reflux run from many batches of UJSSM that's been taking up one whole carboy. I was at the still for 10 1/2 hours of pullin 93% ABV. I was smoked by the time I quit...and I was still pulling 93% when I shut down. I was just too tired. Not a good idea to run still when tired.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Just about everything looks good on this run. :thumbup:

I'll add one thing. Unless you're planning on drinking everything young and white, the flavors you are tasting now will change as the spirit ages. Did you let any of it air out for a day or so and taste again?
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

very nicely documented. only thing I can see off the top of my head is when you are trying the tasting when the distillate is still high proof you can add a touch of water to bring the proof down and some flavor out. I'm sure your taste buds will appreciate it!

enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

BayouShine wrote:Just about everything looks good on this run. :thumbup:

I'll add one thing. Unless you're planning on drinking everything young and white, the flavors you are tasting now will change as the spirit ages. Did you let any of it air out for a day or so and taste again?
Check the end of the post. I capped all the jars with paper towels. I plan on revisiting them for some blending practice tonight.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

GrassHopper wrote:Good job man. Proud of ya. What a turn-around.
Normally, my strip runs take around 4 1/2- 5hrs. Yesterday, I ran an all heads reflux run from many batches of UJSSM that's been taking up one whole carboy. I was at the still for 10 1/2 hours of pullin 93% ABV. I was smoked by the time I quit...and I was still pulling 93% when I shut down. I was just too tired. Not a good idea to run still when tired.
Yeah. I started this run around 730 and went to bed at 2am. The worst part is not having anyone to enjoy the experience with.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:
Yeah. I started this run around 730 and went to bed at 2am. The worst part is not having anyone to enjoy the experience with.

I was with you in spirit.

Hehehe
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:The worst part is not having anyone to enjoy the experience with.
That's what HD anonymous is for. It can be a lonely world out there when you can't talk about something exciting.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Worm_Drippinz wrote:
Hillbilly Popstar wrote:

I was with you in spirit.

Hehehe
https://youtu.be/eySRuqjoKOk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ok, did all ma blendin...

Ended up with 2.5 pints of feints.

I watered down 3 half pints to 90 proof to use for flavoring and playing with.

I kept one full pint at full strength for mixin, sharin, and sippin.

And the whole reason I got into distilling....
1 quart went into my Christmas present at full strength, which ended up at 132 proof.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

As far as the tasting went...

It was harder than I thought. Maybe I was being a bit strict on my cuts from reading what all the guys after neutral spirits do. But I was a bit dissapointed in my yield. I had barely a half gallon at 132 proof. Is that a normal yield, or did I do something wrong?

This is what I started with.
[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/04 ... 207c97.jpg[/img]

At any rate...
I was surprised to find that most of those velevity, buttery, and fruity notes that I said I loved so much were almost gone after letting it air out for about 16 hours. Those were the flavors I was identifying heads with and now they were replaced with solvent like, musky flavors. I also denoted certain amounts of mouth burn throughout the glasses.
The only easy part, I'd say, was identifying the tails. It is a very distinct taste. I'm still not sure I did right by cutting as much of the tails as I did because I am aging and flavoring most of this spirit. But its a learning proccess...

At least I have something mediocre to drink while I practice making world class hooch now.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:But I was a bit dissapointed in my yield. I had barely a half gallon at 132 proof. Is that a normal yield, or did I do something wrong?
This is where things get subjective, and there's no real right or wrong answer. You're tastes are going to be different to what someone else likes.

Not to add more on top of this, but as the spirit ages further, the taste will change again as some of the solventy tastes will mellow out, especially in that barrel.

In the end, if you don't like what you have you can always chuck it back in the still and re-run it until you get it how you like.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I like to write my perceptions down as I go through the jars. Typically, I start in the middle and work down. Then come back to the middle and work up. The key is to be descriptive when documenting the aroma and flavors. Documenting the perceptions helps re-establish a basis of the flavors and aromas after sampling a dozen or more samples. Plus, you can come back and look at it the next day.....and then make your blends.

Overall...great job. Welcome to the "inner circle" (of experience).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Oh, and I like your cask. 2 liters? I have one too (for a 60th birthday gift).
In Your Eye
In Your Eye
Just delivered it today (filled with my whiskey, of course). My friend was tickled. It makes a very special gift for sure.
ss
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

What else can I say but :clap:.

tp
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am honored by everyone's approval. Thank you guys so much. My methods may seem sufficient. Now only if my whiskey could be so...
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

still_stirrin wrote:Oh, and I like your cask. 2 liters? I have one too (for a 60th birthday gift).
image.jpeg
Just delivered it today (filled with my whiskey, of course). My friend was tickled. It makes a very special gift for sure.
ss
I had water in mine for a week and still was getting drips and seepage around the edges. I am hoping my spirit does not continue leaching through and it will seal up. Did you have any problems with yours?
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:I am honored by everyone's approval. Thank you guys so much. My methods may seem sufficient. Now only if my whiskey could be so...
A little more time and practice and you'll have it down pat! 8)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:I had water in mine for a week and still was getting drips and seepage around the edges. I am hoping my spirit does not continue leaching through and it will seal up. Did you have any problems with yours?
I stood it on end (full of water) for a day or two till it stopped leaking. Then stood it on the other end for a day or two. Then on the stand, making sure it was full, for two to three weeks. It only leaked for a couple of days when standing on the ends (in the bathroom sink). By the time I put it on the stand, the leaks had stopped.

But I used a real cork stopper to plug it instead of the wood plug which has the gasket on it. The cork was water/air tight while the one that came with the cask leaked (both water & air). Now, to pour a shot, you have to loosen the cork. But that does help minimize the angel's share.
ss
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:My methods may seem sufficient. Now only if my whiskey could be so...
Time, amigo. Time.

tp
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:I am honored by everyone's approval. Thank you guys so much. My methods may seem sufficient. Now only if my whiskey could be so...
You will get there . None of us got it perfect the first time or many times .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

So apparently temp makes a huge difference too.

Last not I put all the jars I watered down to 90 proof in the freezer. This morning I took one out to macerate some berries.

I took a swig and it tasted like straight vodka. Not even very good vodka. I was very dissappointed.

Then for ish&iggles I pulled down the pint of 130 proof that had been at room temp all night. I poured a single shot in a rocks glass and added a little water. It was very sweet and had that velvety mouth feel that I like so much. No I'm excited again. I can't wait to see what it's gonna do after a few months in the oak.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Time heals all booze..... To some degree!

Don't expect your first runs to be award winning man. I think your being hard on yourself.

You got a long way yet on this wagon train... Your just crackin the first jars on your journey.