weddin likker

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

weddin likker

Post by hamshine »

So your boy here is getting married next saturday and I just finished my batch of weddin likker. I bought 20 gallons of apple juice at sams and pitched ec118. Fermented at 60 deg for 2 weeks let clear for another week. I was getting 90 proof after a short heads cut collected all the way down to 60 or 55 proof. After the two stripping runs I diluted to around 70 proof with a little extra wash I had left a little backset in the boiler and ran slow and low. Made a small foreshot and heads cut and started collecting at about 140 proof got 3 quarts of some tasty stuff down to 110 and 1 quart of 80 proof tails that I don't know weather or not I will mix in when I blend or not. I am considering cutting down to drinking proof with some additional apple juice that wouldn't fit in my fermenter. All three quarts are airing out on my kitchen counter as you are reading this. I would be inclined to leave it at barrel strenght after I nuke age it but I have too many sea levle friends and my venue is at 10k feet.

soo what do yall think should I just proof down with water after I nuke it or should I cut it with juice for additional apple flavor? People will probably like it, but I feel it might taint the integrity of the flavor I worked so hard to get.
Fyi im not serving this at my wedding it is just for the flasks of the members of the wedding party and my father in law. I would give a bunch to my old man but unfortunately he passed away this may.

Also was my first time stillin outside. I did end up setting up on my back porch I just hung a clothesline and put tarps and sheets on it for a hiding in plane sight blind. It worked great. I was surprised my turkey fryer burner took longer to heat up then when I used to use 2 burners of my gas stove. Im sure it is because the 5psi regulator though. Sure is nice chillin in the sun watching it drip
ETOH.... yes plz
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: weddin likker

Post by still_stirrin »

Hamshine,

I'd temper to 90 proof for the flasks. If you temper with the apple juice, it will make it sweet and syrupy. I don't think I would do that for your wedding party members. If they like it sweet, then let them pour a little over ice and add the juice to taste.

But I'd bottle it at 90 proof instead of barrel strength, simply for safety reasons. The recipients may not fully understand that barrel strength is potentially dangerous to drink unaltered and some may think it tempting to do.

Congrats on the "happy day". Be safe in your celebrations.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

After blending it will be 120 or 125 proof I wouldn't share likker that strong but is it not safe to drink 120 proof? I thought that you don't want to drink higher then that for sure but I thought 55 or 60 percent was ok. Again I would NOT give people anything over 100 proof.
ETOH.... yes plz
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

hamshine wrote:....but I thought 55 or 60 percent was ok...
No, it is damaging to tissues at that strength.

It would be OK to bottle it and appropriately label it. But it would not be wise to drink it at that strength, especially if you drink your whiskeys "neat". If bottled at 110 to 120 proof, you definitely want to use it in a "mixed drink" to dilute it.

Even at 90 proof, it can cause tissue damage and scarring in the throat and stomach (and beyond).
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I bottle most my whisky at 43-46% but I find anything over about 38% burns my taste buds. I like about 35% for tasting. Seams to shine and open up there.

Since is a wedding, and people are not likely used to 40%+ all the time and most people go a bit over the top... might be good to leave it on the lower side. Might save someone from alcohol poisoning.

B
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

still_stirrin wrote:

It would be OK to bottle it and appropriately label it. But it would not be wise to drink it at that strength, especially if you drink your whiskeys "neat". If bottled at 110 to 120 proof, you definitely want to use it in a "mixed drink" to dilute it.

Even at 90 proof, it can cause tissue damage and scarring in the throat and stomach (and beyond).
holy shit I will change my ways asap.

also no more shots of 151 and Tabasco when im out at the bar.
ETOH.... yes plz
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

bitter wrote:I bottle most my whisky at 43-46% but I find anything over about 38% burns my taste buds. I like about 35% for tasting. Seams to shine and open up there.

Since is a wedding, and people are not likely used to 40%+ all the time and most people go a bit over the top... might be good to leave it on the lower side. Might save someone from alcohol poisoning.

B
good call Ill shoot for an even 80
ETOH.... yes plz
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

still_stirrin wrote:

Alcohol (especially when mixed with cigarettes) is the leading cause of just about all cancers of the oropharynx (mouth and back of the throat) and upper esophagus. It's presence at any level is technically harmful but it is most likely the repetition of drinking it over and over that probably plays the biggest role. All things in moderation my friends...

Also...Congrats hamshine!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Apple shine for a wedding?
So you get Eve to take the first sip and then pass the jar to Adam? :twisted:
Have a nice party!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Because it's still hot off the still, even lower might be easier on the tastebuds. I'd mix up a lineup from 35% up and have a tasting session with a friend for a second opinion.

Same with the added juice idea. Make up small samples and get a friend's opinion. My guess is that your wedding party would probably prefer something else in their flasks.

Have a great party.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

hamshine wrote:...also no more shots of 151 and Tabasco when im out at the bar.
Well, there are all sorts of reasons to put an end to that!

Very sorry to hear about your ol' man, Ham, but congrats on the blessed nuptials!
I hope your day was full of laughter and memories, and that the days after continue the trend.

So what did you go with? Did you decant 80p brandy, or did you cut it with just a bit of juice?

Again, happy wishes for your new life. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
hamshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hamshine »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
hamshine wrote:...also no more shots of 151 and Tabasco when im out at the bar.
Well, there are all sorts of reasons to put an end to that!

Very sorry to hear about your ol' man, Ham, but congrats on the blessed nuptials!
I hope your day was full of laughter and memories, and that the days after continue the trend.

So what did you go with? Did you decant 80p brandy, or did you cut it with just a bit of juice?

Again, happy wishes for your new life. :thumbup:
I ended up with about 105 proof and it was real tasty. Nothin beats having some of your own dram in your tuxedo to ease the nerves. All the groomsmen dug it too rowdy times were had.
ETOH.... yes plz