First Run Ever

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

RockyTopJimmy
Novice

First Run Ever

Post by RockyTopJimmy »

Well, it was a learning experience to say the least. I know I made several mistakes and one in particular was prior to ever finding this forum. As I posted in the welcome thread, I happened across a 20 gallon copper pot still and now I'm here... I've been reading for weeks and bookmarking threads that I continually return to for refresher information. So here's the run down of the first attempt:

My first mistake, that I had no clue I was making, was when I purchased my fermenting buckets, breathers and yeast. I was standing in front of 50 different kinds of yeast with no clue what to buy. The first one that I read that looked to be the ticket, was boasting of 18% abv yield.....later, after referencing this site several times, I realized that I bought some janky ass turbo yeast. I had already got my mash together by this time and said to heck with it I was going to see it through and run it despite my poor choice of yeast....lesson learned.

My mash consisted of 10 gallons total (way too much I decided). Per 5 gallons, I added 7 lbs. of sugar (14 lbs total) and 10, 12 oz. cans of 100% Apple / Cherry juice concentrate (20 cans total). Once the temp dropped to 90 degrees on my mixed sugar and juice, I pitched my turbo yeast.

I let it ferment at 70 degrees for 7 days, then decided to run it. I never took an O.G. reading (because I had not received my hydrometer yet) but the F.G. was 0.995.

I was scared as hell the first time I fired that thing up. :wtf: Had an escape route planned, and emergency shut off on my propane and a fire extinguisher close at all times. I had no clue where it would leak steam or if it would. I tried my best to make a dough ring for the hat. My dough ring worked good, but started to leak a little condensation about 1 1/2 hours in. I got nervous but had some dough and flour on hand and started making "patches" as needed...squeezing it and flouring it up. The dough did cook up and harden good before the boil, but I was nervous that I had ruined the whole deal when I saw those small leaks. I used some very cheap rum in my thumper.

It took 2 1/2 hours before the fores hit and I ran for another hour after that, shutting the still down after I collected 400ml of fores and 3, 11oz. jelly jars. I shut down because I ran out of cold water for my condenser and I was satisfied with just seeing what the still would do.

I actually thought I had ruined the whole deal by shutting down early...waay early. I never removed the dough ring or disconnected the lines...she just sat in my very private indoor location, which I'm able to use year round with no interference or worry of discovery, for about 4 days. Internal temp in that location stays above 40 degrees. I was going to dump out the mash and start over but after reading here in HD, realized I could restart that backset and keep going. So I decided to pitch the 400 ml of fores and 4 days later I added those 33oz. back into the backset and started over.

This time it took 3 hours before I saw fores (which turns out were not actually fores since I had previously removed them). I ran somewhere close to a gallon in 4 hours, separating cuts in 11oz. jelly jars.... 9 total.

#1 proofed at 166 abv

#9 156 abv

So I just dumped them all into one glass container.... :roll: ....and that's what I got. a sample of that mix is 160 abv after adding a little water. Tastes like pure rocket fuel...no fruit until a minute or two after your throat cools. I dumped the remaining backset in the woods after it sat in my pot for another 7 days.

I've got another 5 gallon wash (corn meal) going as of yesterday....it's probably going to be a disaster, but we will see. I'm going to keep trying. Here's some pics of the hydrometer reading. Again, I made another mistake and took the reading when the mash was 90 degrees not 60. I had not added the yeast yet though, so I guess that's a plus.

"It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others" - Zen Poverb
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First Run Ever

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Hi RTJ. You did not do that bad, and you seem to learn from your mistakes, so it is all learning explerience. Now ditch the remaining (if any) Turbo crap, head on to the Tried and True section and try one of them sugar washes. I suggest Uncle Jesse Simple Sour Mash. Others have had good results with Sweetfeed Whisky or Cornflakes Whisky. Any will do, actually.

The most important thing, though, do not, ever, drink high proof alcohol. Dilute your sample to 80proof or therebouts, first! Drinking 160 proof you damage your mouth, throat, esophagus.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

More than a few mistakes, RockyTopJimmy... I'll go over just a few but it sounds like you need to put the rig into Park and do a bit more research before proceeding... Consider it a false start...

You know you went wrong with the turbo yeast... It should only be used with sugar and water and nothing else, regardless of what the packaging may indicate... Use it up for your experiments and sacrificial runs... Most folks here are fully content using plain old bakers yeast...

It sounds like you made dry dough rather than sticky paste for sealing your still... It should be wet and sticky when applied and should harden like a rock as the still comes up to temperature... You'll have far less chance of leaks with this method...

You ran WAY too slow for a pot still with thumper... You need to crank up the heat until you get a broken stream to toothpick/matchstick sized stream... You're shooting for flavor and running too slow keeps the %ABV up and doesn't allow any of the flavor profile to carry over... Not that you should be drinking any of a sacrificial cleaning run anyway...

You tasted spirits that are WAY too high in proof to be drinking... All sampling should be done with diluted spirits, closer to standard bottle strength (80 proof)... Drinking any spirits over 110 - 120 proof can cause permanent tissue damage, even the first time... Don't risk hurting yourself and numbing your taste buds by drinking high proof... It doesn't make you tough or cool, it just makes you careless... You must learn to respect high proof alcohol...

So, now that you've dicked around with your first run, and second, it's time to get back to the research and determine what else you may have been doing wrong... Don't let your novice excitement (read giddy schoolgirl dance) cloud your goal... You're very close but you still need to dig deeper into the theories and fundamentals... Get your ducks in a row and you'll be making some decent spirits that you can be proud of...

Congratulations on two semi-successful runs just the same... :thumbup:

Posting at the same time as cuginosgrizzo...
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

Hi RTJimmy, welcome to the best place to get the right information and learning how to be the best. Keep on with your journey and read read read here. Post progress and enjoy the ride.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RockyTopJimmy
Novice

Post by RockyTopJimmy »

rad14701 wrote:More than a few mistakes, RockyTopJimmy... I'll go over just a few but it sounds like you need to put the rig into Park and do a bit more research before proceeding... Consider it a false start...

You know you went wrong with the turbo yeast... It should only be used with sugar and water and nothing else, regardless of what the packaging may indicate... Use it up for your experiments and sacrificial runs... Most folks here are fully content using plain old bakers yeast...

It sounds like you made dry dough rather than sticky paste for sealing your still... It should be wet and sticky when applied and should harden like a rock as the still comes up to temperature... You'll have far less chance of leaks with this method...

You ran WAY too slow for a pot still with thumper... You need to crank up the heat until you get a broken stream to toothpick/matchstick sized stream... You're shooting for flavor and running too slow keeps the %ABV up and doesn't allow any of the flavor profile to carry over... Not that you should be drinking any of a sacrificial cleaning run anyway...

You tasted spirits that are WAY too high in proof to be drinking... All sampling should be done with diluted spirits, closer to standard bottle strength (80 proof)... Drinking any spirits over 110 - 120 proof can cause permanent tissue damage, even the first time... Don't risk hurting yourself and numbing your taste buds by drinking high proof... It doesn't make you tough or cool, it just makes you careless... You must learn to respect high proof alcohol...

So, now that you've dicked around with your first run, and second, it's time to get back to the research and determine what else you may have been doing wrong... Don't let your novice excitement (read giddy schoolgirl dance) cloud your goal... You're very close but you still need to dig deeper into the theories and fundamentals... Get your ducks in a row and you'll be making some decent spirits that you can be proud of...

Congratulations on two semi-successful runs just the same... :thumbup:

Posting at the same time as cuginosgrizzo...
Thank you for the constructive criticism. It is appreciated as I know that I know very little about distilling. :thumbup:

The "turbo" junk is gone....it was a one time use thing. I now have some Dady distiller's yeast and that's whats in the corn meal wash.

My dough was super sticky....I'm thinking it was a little too wet because it didn't harden up quick enough, hence the flour. I'd really like to get away from the dough game all together and build a quality still that utilizes one of those nice flange / clamp set ups.

I failed to mention that I did do a cleaning run of vinegar and water prior to firing up the wash.

I had no clue about sampling high proof spirits....thanks for the information. I'll cut that jug down some more. :thumbup:

I'm really in no hurry to run again, in fact I want to make some changes to the still or build a new one prior to running again. I wouldn't even say I'm excited about it :lol: more interested in just being able to create something that is quality. I'm actually a beer only guy, as my Wife says I'm too wild on the spirits. I "inherited" this still and the more I read about using it the more interested I am in just being able to hone the skill.

Again, thanks for all of the information and advice. I'm going to read some more and hopefully absorb some of this plethora of knowledge that exists here.
"It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others" - Zen Poverb
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

RockyTopJimmy wrote:I had no clue about sampling high proof spirits....thanks for the information. I'll cut that jug down some more. :thumbup:
If you hadn't already done so, this was your sacrificial alcohol run and the resulting spirits should not be consumed... As you do your research here, which we consider mandatory, you'll read about the proper sequence of cleaning a new still and that includes tossing the first batch or two of alcohol produced... Each step of the cleaning sequence removes contaminates that the previous run didn't remove... Your still isn't clean until it's clean... You should have already read the Cleaning a new still topic...
RockyTopJimmy
Novice

Post by RockyTopJimmy »

rad14701 wrote:
RockyTopJimmy wrote:I had no clue about sampling high proof spirits....thanks for the information. I'll cut that jug down some more. :thumbup:
If you hadn't already done so, this was your sacrificial alcohol run and the resulting spirits should not be consumed... As you do your research here, which we consider mandatory, you'll read about the proper sequence of cleaning a new still and that includes tossing the first batch or two of alcohol produced... Each step of the cleaning sequence removes contaminates that the previous run didn't remove... Your still isn't clean until it's clean... You should have already read the Cleaning a new still topic...
:thumbup: