My first still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: My first still

Post by der wo »

One problem is, only tapatalk users can see your pictures.
The second problem is, perhaps in a few months you delete the pictures for whatever reason. We have many threads with deleted pictures. Very good threads, but without the pictures they are useless. Very annoying.

I believe you that it's not easy posting pics correctly to hd when using mainly the phone. But it's the only way the forum remains effective and clean.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

GABrew wrote:I'm not sure what the story is .. but yeah, another member told me to use it too, and I was pointed to the same threads as you for uploading attachments.

It's kinda a huge pain for me since I take the photos with my phone .. then have to copy them to my computer and then batch resize them using irfanview, then upload them, then link to them in my posts.
Agreed, oh well. That's the only picture I really wanted to show anyway. Haha
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

in OP you mentioned you fermented with distilled water. I did not see a correction on this so...try well or tap water. the yeast needs the trace minerals found in tap and well water that distilled water no longer has.
Plus, when dilutung use RO water, not distilled...you will get a better mouthfeel.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

HDNB wrote:in OP you mentioned you fermented with distilled water. I did not see a correction on this so...try well or tap water. the yeast needs the trace minerals found in tap and well water that distilled water no longer has.
Plus, when dilutung use RO water, not distilled...you will get a better mouthfeel.
Thank you I will use my well water for my next ferment. :thumbup:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Ryan17 wrote:
GABrew wrote:I'm not sure what the story is .. but yeah, another member told me to use it too, and I was pointed to the same threads as you for uploading attachments.

It's kinda a huge pain for me since I take the photos with my phone .. then have to copy them to my computer and then batch resize them using irfanview, then upload them, then link to them in my posts.
Agreed, oh well. That's the only picture I really wanted to show anyway. Haha
Not to derail this topic any further but there are Apps for resizing images that are available for Androids and iPhones... There should be topics on Apps and resizing in the same subforum as the Tapatalk topic so any further discussion would be better served there... Those topics should have already been read before posting with reckless abandon here in the forums... That entire subforum should be considered mandatory reading...

If anyone has anything further to say on the subject, or questions, I'd be glad to help via PM's rather than continuing in this topic...
GABrew
Novice

Post by GABrew »

Hey Ryan .. how did this turn out for you? I was pretty disappointed with my sweet run (which ended up also being my sac alc run). The rig ran fine, I was just disappointed with the product. I used the 25-30% backset to sour the send gen and ran it last weekend. It was significantly better. I put it on toasted oak chips, aired it out for a day and it has improved SIGNIFICANTLY. Well, at least the smell has improved significantly. I haven't diluted any yet to actually taste it. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't taste gen2 until gen 3 was run :)

I just thought I'd let you know how things were going for me, since we seemed to be on about the same schedule.

GABrew
I'm trying to follow rule #2. Are you?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

Well it’s been nearly a year! Unfourtunetly this hobby has taken a back seat to work and various other things throughout the summer and fall months. But I am finally back into this and ready to go for a second batch. I was very very pleased with the ujssm mash and apple pie resipe I used on my previous run so I am going to stick to what I know works (And tastes good!). This time however I’m going to do a full 10 gallon wash. I should be all ready Sunday to start. I’ll go through it with the changes some of guys have recommended. The only thing I’m not sure of is if I should incorporate a thumper this time. Last time without it was a good way to get the full understanding of operations but the stripping runs really were burning me out. Any advice there if it’s worth it?

Thanks guys
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Ryan17 wrote:Well it’s been nearly a year! Unfourtunetly this hobby has taken a back seat to work and various other things throughout the summer and fall months. But I am finally back into this and ready to go for a second batch. I was very very pleased with the ujssm mash and apple pie resipe I used on my previous run so I am going to stick to what I know works (And tastes good!). This time however I’m going to do a full 10 gallon wash. I should be all ready Sunday to start. I’ll go through it with the changes some of guys have recommended. The only thing I’m not sure of is if I should incorporate a thumper this time. Last time without it was a good way to get the full understanding of operations but the stripping runs really were burning me out. Any advice there if it’s worth it?

Thanks guys
The thumped is worth it just to keep from doing stripping runs,yes. A lot more besides,but that's a different thread.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

I’ve done some research on thumpers to get a full understanding on how they work, and I have an idea that I couldn’t quite find the answer to.

I see that a corney 5 gal keg is a a good size to use with my 15 gal keg pot. I actually have one laying around and it is a pin lock style with the long tube for the liquid out side. It seems to be the perfect thumper. Could I use it as is? Or is that tube to small?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Ryan17 wrote:I’ve done some research on thumpers to get a full understanding on how they work, and I have an idea that I couldn’t quite find the answer to.

I see that a corney 5 gal keg is a a good size to use with my 15 gal keg pot. I actually have one laying around and it is a pin lock style with the long tube for the liquid out side. It seems to be the perfect thumper. Could I use it as is? Or is that tube to small?
That downtube is much too small. It would be very slow and a safety issue.

AC
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

acfixer69 wrote:
Ryan17 wrote:I’ve done some research on thumpers to get a full understanding on how they work, and I have an idea that I couldn’t quite find the answer to.

That downtube is much too small. It would be very slow and a safety issue.

AC
I figured, I’m sure I could drill out and make room for bigger hardware but this was my grandfathers and I really don’t want to alter it. I have 10gal of wash just about ready so I guess I’ll go without a thumper this run and brainstorm more. Thank you for the quick reply!
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

One more quick question, I did my stripping run last night and got about 1.5gallons of 40%abv average. (At most being 65%). The run took around 3.5 hours start to finish. I ran around 180 degrees Fahrenheit with a trickeling stream. I was reading around and it seems that it doesn’t take that long for anyone else. I’m now doing the first spirit run and I only have about1.75l 2 hours into it. I was hoping for much more with doing a 10gallom wash... does anyone have any idea why this is taking so long and why I’m not getting so much?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It could be because you are adjusting heat input to maintain a temperature. Put tape over the thermometer and only control the output stream.
Ryan17
Novice

Post by Ryan17 »

NZChris wrote:It could be because you are adjusting heat input to maintain a temperature. Put tape over the thermometer and only control the output stream.
I’ve read a lot about not worrying about your temp, I really only use it to keep under 212. I’m just being a little extra careful and hesitant. But I’ve still only got 2 liters now. I ran until 20% and then noticed tails
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It isn't possible for the temperature to go over 212 unless you have a serious problem with your still design.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

still_stirrin wrote:5 gallon bucket for a flake stand will be too small unless you have means to replenish the cooling water in the bucket (don't use ice either).
ss
SS,
I have a 5 gallon copper pot setup similar to this
copper pot.jpg
copper pot.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
I use a quart/ltr bottle full of ice in the flake stand filled with water instead of circulating water.
No?
:mrgreen: