Finley smelling Corn mash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

workpress
Novice

Re: Finley smelling Corn mash

Post by workpress »

The first run after distilling now smells like vomit in the jar. And will not "oak" (that is on another thread) but I'm gonna keep that jar, let age year who knows it might be OK.

So I have have just started my second generation of a all corn mash tonight. I have a nice jar of likker and a new ferment on the go...and no vomit smell.all is good

Workpress
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

have not seen the will not oak thread but good choice holding onto the puke smelling booze. The jug i got was oaked heavily and just started coming around to something amazing after 12 months and is now heavenly about 3 years later.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I hope you don't mean you are going to age it white. I'd put it in a 2/3ds full jar with some nice oak for at least a couple of years before pulling a sample, removing the cork every few months for a smell and to let it breath.
workpress
Novice

Post by workpress »

Hey NZChris

It is on oak and I will let it age... time will tell eh.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It sure will.
That reminds me, I have a demijohn somewhere here that had a similar start but I haven't seen it for a while. I should try and find it again. The last time I stumbled on it it was very nice.