Safety switch

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

RippoZero
Novice

Re: Safety switch

Post by RippoZero »

Yummyrum wrote:
RippoZero wrote: You're right. Having the solid state relay short circuit does represent a potential fault. I do have a fuse in the thing that goes at 250 volts and 10 amperes or 2500 watt. This is well below the rated maximum for the relay. Is this a good solution? I do get to personally check if the relay can open and shut properly every time I start the device. while the sensor is heating up for about 15 minutes the only way to open the relay is to hold in the button. if I let it go in that period the sensor will detect a false positive and shut the relay. I think the part in this system that represents the biggest potential of failure is the MQ-3 gas sensor. Maybe I should double up on that and have 2 of them?
Having a fuse is always a good idea but semiconductors generally destroy themselves in a fault situation quicker than a fuse blows .

So long as you have a light across the element so you can see when the relay is supplying power ( either when its ment to or not ) and an audiable alarm to indicate the presents detected alcohol so that if you are not in theroom , you can here it and come quickly and double check that power has been cut would be a good thing .
Yes I think maybe a few sensors might be a good idea .Its common practise to have several smoke detectors in a house nower days so why not :thumbup:
Awesome! thank you for the advice. I'll add that as soon as i get the time.