New world discovered thanks to this site

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

jacknimble1973
Novice

New world discovered thanks to this site

Post by jacknimble1973 »

I've been around copper pot stills since i was around 10 years old. I've made many many gallons of good corn likker thru one, Me and mine think it's good anyway. After my kids showed me this internet deal and I read for 100000 hours on this site, I got curious bout this reflux tower deal. I had a "legally obtained" beer keg laying around in my parts pile, so I ordered a simple rig from mile hi. Within seconds after I ordered it, I started pilfering thru the wifes kitchen for mash mixings, since shine season is still a month or 2 away around here. Within an hour, I had a good chops wash bubblin. Well, my rig came in late yesterday evening on the brown truck and I immediately assembled and packed. This morning I fired it up and ran it off. I don't think I've mentioned how skeptical and stupid I felt by doing this rinky dink pipe bomb looking deal...Anyway, it started dripping within 10 minutes and after throwing off the first half pint, i started getting 180 proof on the next jar. Mind blown...It tasted good and I can really find no fault with it. Yall may laugh at a dumb hillbilly just learning of this kind of technology but im proud as I can be to lern this and am very proud this site exist.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New world discovered thanks to this site

Post by Still Life »

Are you kidding? If it weren't for hillbillies we'd all be drinking Tab and Evian.

Welcome hillbilly, ...er.. jacknimble. You sound like a fun character.
jacknimble1973
Novice

Post by jacknimble1973 »

Thanks Still Life. I love making likker and really enjoy reading all these good peoples post about such. I got two mashes working right now from recipes i've found on here.
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

welcome to the group Jacknimble. I thought i knew enough when i started on this hobby and after a few hours of reading here i realized i knew nuthen. Now days i spend a bit of time reading reading reading and each batch seems to be getting better and better.
jacknimble1973
Novice

Post by jacknimble1973 »

Thanks Bvritr. I am learnin new things every day.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I would love to see any old pictures of those copper stills you ran or were around all your life. We here love the history of this great hobby.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:wave: Welcome . Share any history you are comfortable with . Lot to be learned here .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .