My first soldering experience

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jes2xu
Swill Maker

My first soldering experience

Post by Jes2xu »

IMG_20170304_125450.jpg
So no long ago I had a crack at putting a boka head togeather.

. . . it went . . . . bad. And yet better than I expected! :lol:

I think its now operational but pretty ugly. I guess I could clean it up and make it all shiny again. On the other hand, purposefully aging it and distressing it is kind of tempting!
IMG_20170304_125450.jpg
IMG_20170304_165526.jpg

First one didgnt go so well, lots of small gaps
IMG_20170305_211025.jpg
Second plate was better
IMG_20170305_210921.jpg
Had a second crack at both, then a third. And I think the forth had it sorted haha
untitled shoot-3314.jpg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first soldering experience

Post by Pikey »

You've not picked the easiest thing in the world to practice on :shock:

2 Main questions ; Is it leakproof ? Does it work ?

Take it form one who has learned to solder and weld the hard way - It looks fine ! 8) :thumbup:
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Pikey wrote:You've not picked the easiest thing in the world to practice on :shock:

2 Main questions ; Is it leakproof ? Does it work ?

Take it form one who has learned to solder and weld the hard way - It looks fine ! 8) :thumbup:

Bahaha, Yeah. As I was getting things ready to start I had to mini me's, one on each shoulder.

The first said:
"You know the smart thing to do here would be to take some of that scrap copper over there, and set up a little practise test. . . . "

At that point the second took over:
"Fuck that! That's no fun! She'll be right mate"

That is about as far as I have gotten with the build. So have not been able to test it with a steam only cleaning run. It does hold up to a soapy water / bubble test though.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

The 4 main tips I can give.

1) Clean clean clean some more before soldering any place you want solder to stick
2) Use lots of flux. Haris stayclean works really well and easier to clean.
3) Normal non-lead plumbing solder works well for filling gaps but solder wiht some silver content will flow better into small cracks.
4) be careful on heat.. too much can cause you issues and make your flux not work well and will need to reapply.

Any place were there is a gap. you can clean the area apply flux and then heat till the solder just starts to flow. it will suck into the cracks. You might also need to apply a little more solder to finish the job.

Keep it up and good luck with the rest of your build.

B
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Awesome thanks!!!

I did a BUNCH of reading (on this forum mostly) before giving it a crack. I guess its one of those things where you just don't really get it until you have seen it a few times. I guess it's all relative.

For example I think to start with I was actually not using enough heat. Because I was scared of "using too much heat" hahaha. Its cool though, I actually think im goign to find it fun. So I'm sure I will keep finding excuses to keep practising.

Thanks for the input man! Appreciate it!!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Also to tease you, I found, besides practicing, youtube videos were great to learn to solder. :lol:
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

der wo wrote:Also to tease you, I found, besides practicing, youtube videos were great to learn to solder. :lol:
BAHAHAHAHAHA! Well played sir! :lol:

But yeah makes sense. Its the kind of thing that words dont quite get across not for me anyway. I found a few videos that were good. But most were for plumbing type things. Guess the boka is a bit of a unique soldering problem.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

For a very neat job of soldering boka plates, is the make the plates just about 1/16" wider that the size of the pipe.. and use 1/16" size solder and if you don't have small size solder, cut a 12" piece of regular size, flatten it some, then cut it in half.. the smaller size require less heat to work with and easier to work with.. once the plates are soldered in, grind then flush with the pipe..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Looks fine to me (but then you should see the quality of my soldering).

I like to think that 'unique' stills like this make spirits with more character to them ;-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

StillerBoy wrote:For a very neat job of soldering boka plates, is the make the plates just about 1/16" wider that the size of the pipe.. and use 1/16" size solder and if you don't have small size solder, cut a 12" piece of regular size, flatten it some, then cut it in half.. the smaller size require less heat to work with and easier to work with.. once the plates are soldered in, grind then flush with the pipe..

Mars

Hmmmm interesting, that is similar to what I did but I think the solder was larger. And perhaps, just being a rookie didnt help ;) haha
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Mikey-moo wrote:Looks fine to me (but then you should see the quality of my soldering).

I like to think that 'unique' stills like this make spirits with more character to them ;-)

Hahaha yeah man!

Im very serious about the aging and distressing idea. I think it could be kind of cool. Dark different colour patina, old scratches and scrapes. With new shiny copper markings on it as well. As in actually actively try to make it elegantly disheveled haha. Go all Adam Savage on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzxEqd ... nel=Tested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow