Strange Smell in the distilled product need help

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Strange Smell in the distilled product need help

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I did my first sugar wash for distillation, and used a simple sugar wash recipe

12 Lbs Sugar,
4.65 ounces Yeast Nutrient
1.80 ounce Bakers Yeast
6 Gallon Water

I distilled it once with a reflux still and got 70 ABV but I have learned yesterday with my post that my gig is partly reflux there is not a reflux jacket for it only a 75 cm long condenser, and a column packed with copper mash so, I think it worked almost partly pot still and reflux, anyway as I said I only used the above recipe for the wash, and got a strange smell in the alcohol, it was definitely a bit sugary taste and some vinigar smell as well this is really hard to describe, today I redistilled it again, the smell was there did not go away and the strange thing is my ABV only went from 70 to 75 in the second run.
so a friend of mine whose doing distilling longer than me suggested that maybe something was wrong with the fermentation due to sugary taste in the distilled alcohol, also said it could be the yeast also, so what do you guys think went wrong I discard it but really wanna know why there is a smell even in the second run and why my alcohol level did went up only from 70 to 75 ?
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Strange Smell in the distilled product need help

Post by HDNB »

read everything in this thread, i think it will answer most of your questions.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

artooks wrote:I did my first sugar wash for distillation, and used a simple sugar wash recipe
Had you done a wash from the "Tried and True" recipe section, you wouldn't be asking question for the answer to the problems you run into..

Plus the still be new, was it properly clean, water and vinegar run, then a sacrificial run before tasting anything..

It would be wise to slow down some, and do the proper research required, otherwise help will be slow coming..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

+1 what they all said, with the addition of:

Did you make any cuts? Or just collect it all on 1 big jug?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!