My first run (last night)...do you call this success?

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

StimpDog
Novice

My first run (last night)...do you call this success?

Post by StimpDog »

I'm excited...after months of diligent research, I made my first batch of moonshine last night!

As excited as I am, I need some advice.

(I'm using a re-flux still, and I used the recipe from the recommended reading material "How to Make Pure Corn Whiskey").
My big problem: I put about 8 Gal of Corn mash in my still. After about 3 hours of distilling, only half the corn mash had been distilled, and then it stopped producing Now I only have about 1.75 Litters of whisky at about 50% (100 proof), and that seems low to me. There is at least 4 gal of corn mash left in my still, but I can’t get the vapors to condense, so production stopped.

A few clue's to help diagnose my problem (why did it stop producing?):

1. The temp on my still-head thermometer had not changed between the time the whiskey was flowing and the time it stopped. I played with the temps...as low as 172 and as high as 202, but temp didn't make a difference, I couldn't get the whisky to start flowing again. Also, the cold water running through my condenser had not changed, so that can't be the variable either.

2. This was the first time I used this re-flux column (given to me by a friend). When starting this process, I proceeded to shut off the return/distillate valve as instructed so as to bring the still to equilibrium. But I quickly discovered that it didn't have a shut off valve! Because it didn't have a valve, once the still-head temp reached about 170, the distillate just started to flow uncontrolled! Today I went to the store and purchased a needle valve to install tonight, so this wont be an issue in the future.

3. Also, there was no gasket between the re-flux column and the still (KEG) and I could see some vapors escaping. I've purchased a sheet of cork to cut down to size and use as a gasket.

I know I made many errors, but the pure corn whiskey that I did produce tastes awesome! I'm excited to learn from my mistakes and do a better job at the end of the week.
3. Why was the percentage of alcohol in my whisky so low? I don't know how to measure the percentage of alcohol in the corn mash before I distill it so I can't tell you what percentage the mash was to start with (can someone teach me?) I did take refractometer readings (13.5 brix)...can that help me figure it out?
4. When siphoning off the mash from the pail into the still, how many inches off the bottom do I keep my siphon?

Can I get some pointers so I don't make the same mistakes again?

I have to share how grateful I am for this forum. I wouldn't have made it this far without this community, Thanks!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first run (last night)...do you call this success?

Post by Pikey »

Hi, Well at least you got somethin' 8)

Can you pop up a photo ? All sorts of things we need to know, but basically - no valve ? Whatever you've been told, it sounds like a pot ! DON'T put a valve in the vapour path before we see a piccy !

[Edit - You put in 8 gall right ? You got 1.75 Litres out right ? - There's 4 Gallon missing from the boiler ? Where's the other 3.5 gallons gone to ?

PLease don't use it again without doing more reading - You'll find the places to go to in any "cranky's" post signature - and please do post pictures]
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

+1. Pic's would certainly help to get a handle of what's going on.

On another note: Not all cork is made equal. There are other better options. Search "everlasting gasket" using HD google search.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Without a valve, you were in full reflux for the entire run.
That can really slow down or stop your yield.
Not to mention loss via the vapor leak.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

StimpDog wrote:Also, there was no gasket between the re-flux column and the still (KEG) and I could see some vapors escaping. I've purchased a sheet of cork to cut down to size and use as a gasket.
That's were at least some of your alcohol has gone...to the angels.
StimpDog wrote:What is the ideal temp to keep my still-head at during my run? Also,
You can not control the temperature of the Still or the wash in the boiler, it will boil at what ever temp it wants at the time.
The make up of the components in the wash at any given time will dictate the boiling temp.
As an example just a few of the things in your boiler are.
Water , boiling point 100c
Ethanol/Boiling point78.37 °C
Methanol/Boiling point 64.7 °C
Acetone/Boiling point 56 °C
Mix those four together and what is the boiling point of the resulting liquid?
To further complicate things the mix of components in your wash is constantly changing.
StimpDog
Novice

Post by StimpDog »

it should also be noted that the alcohol content of my last 400mil's were about 20%...is that odd?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

did you calculate the potential alcohol of the job? OG-FG=Potential?

the results indicate from what you produced...from a wash starting around around 3%...thatts low...even if you lost 2% to solution and vapour loss, thats a 5% wash...maybe try for potential alcohol in the 7-8% range next time.

if you were actually refluxing and the output was at 20% you got everything get-able, imho.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

StimpDog wrote:it should also be noted that the alcohol content of my last 400mil's were about 20%...is that odd?
No not at all - if running a column in potstill mode, that's normal. The alcohol has pretty much all been evaporated (and hopefully condensed in your jars) by the end of the run.